BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

Vibration Damper Issue

Long-time member, but haven't posted for some time; so please forgive me if my search skills aren't up to speed. Haven't seen anything recent on this issue.

My G05 (4k miles) broke down last week. Warning lights were something to the effect of battery discharge and engine overheating. Car was trucked to the dealer and they told me the vibration damper was "shredded". Now I'm told it will take at least one week to have the new part shipped from Germany.

Curious if others are seeing this issue? And seems odd to me that I'd have a one week wait just for this part.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by towski1 View Post
Long-time member, but haven't posted for some time; so please forgive me if my search skills aren't up to speed. Haven't seen anything recent on this issue.

My G05 (4k miles) broke down last week. Warning lights were something to the effect of battery discharge and engine overheating. Car was trucked to the dealer and they told me the vibration damper was "shredded". Now I'm told it will take at least one week to have the new part shipped from Germany.

Curious if others are seeing this issue? And seems odd to me that I'd have a one week wait just for this part.
I don't remember seeing any posts about this issue here.

As for the minimum one week wait, I think that is the norm for getting a part shipped from Germany. They do not seem to have many of the parts in stock locally, especially for the ones that should not normally need replacing yet seeing as it is a relatively new model.

When I had my car in for service for an issue with the fusebox, I was told 5-10 business days if a part is to be shipped from Germany so it matches with what your dealer is telling you. In my case, they asked and got special permission to take the part my car needed from a new car on their lot to not make me wait for up to an extra 2 weeks given that I got the issue so quickly after delivery (2 days) and they wanted to fix it as quick as possible for me to get my new car back ASAP. This is not always possible but in my case it was feasible and worked out best for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Do you know what component the vibration damper was associated with?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
alinamaris
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x5

One month old 2021 x5
I accelerated from a stop (ASS on no way to disengage) and the car registered a loud bang. After about 100 yards the battery light came on, engine overheat light came on and the car wouldn't go.
After getting towed to the dealership it was determined to be a loose, off center vibration damper causing damage to the coolant pump, pulley and various other components. Under warranty so no out of pocket but a royal pain.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Some info here on vibration damper (BMW language) otherwise known as a harmonic balancer:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1164732
      12-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wouldn’t a failure of this damper/balancer potentially cause engine damage since the crankshaft is no longer “balanced?”

I know it drives the accessory belts, but it seems to be a critical part for the engine as well. It’s like putting a lot of eggs in one basket...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

This just happened to our 2019 with about 30,000 miles. First a "Power supply" warning came up saying the battery cannot be recharged and to stop driving. Then an "Engine temperature high" warning came up, this was as she was pulling over. This told me the accessory belt must not be engaged. The car made it to the dealership where they diagnosed the vibration damper as having failed. We weren't surprised, by the time we got the diagnosis we already found threads like this one, seems like there were several 2019s that had this part fail.
Appreciate 0