BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Shocked they wouldn't let you take the loaner for your trip. My G01 was out of commission last year, a week before I was to leave on a trip. My Service Advisor told me that it would be fine to take the loaner, they knew it was a 3000+ mile round trip, and if I needed a bigger loaner (had an X3) he would get me one. I guess different dealers really do handle this situation differently, but wow that is pretty poor on your Service Advisor for not stepping up to the plate.
That actually was the biggest disappointment of this situation. I have been dealing directly with the Service Director and not a service advisor and overall I think h tried real hard to get things fixed as well as get me a loaner. Him and my CA were trying to get something for me but were turned down by the upper levels. Evidently there is a 5,000 mile limit for the vehicles that were in the loaner program and then put up for sale. If they are under the 5,000 miles the dealership gets some type of reimbursement from BMW as well as is able to sell them as new with the current incentives. My trip would have been right around 5k even with removing the Canada part of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Makes sense to me.
Again I’m so sorry about your car and vacation.

I agree with someone’s statement above, make them pay for a bimmer rental.
I would. I know you want to drive your own car, but it’s the principle of the thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Makes sense to me.
Again I’m so sorry about your car and vacation.

I agree with someone’s statement above, make them pay for a bimmer rental.
I would. I know you want to drive your own car, but it’s the principle of the thing.
Thanks. I was going to get a rental just to make them pay but that wouldn't have been very enjoyable. Part of the reason for us extending our usual trip was to enjoy driving in the X5. I would rather put it off for three weeks and have that enjoyment then take the trip sooner and have to drive something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #26
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I do have to say that on the drive back from the dealer I just about decided to get rid of it and get something else but my wife is really against it. She loves the X5 (first vehicle she ever said that about) so I guess I should follow the title of this post and listen to her.

What a disappointment.
That really sucks. I have those thoughts sometimes too, especially with pesky, persistent little bugs and the issues my dealer can't correct. I find myself periodically Googling "Audi Q7 facelift" to see whether I want to jump back to Audi when it comes out (my old Audi S4 was the best car I've ever owned).

I also really hate when the dealership is persnickety about what type of loaner they give you. They think they're doing you a favor by giving you any kind of car at all. But with the amounts of time BMW service centers keep your car (in my case, a cumulative total of 5 weeks), I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset when they give you a base X3 to drive around for weeks at a time. Yeah, one day for an oil change is one thing, but longer periods of time is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I was getting more and more down as I was doing the drive from the dealership to home but my wife reminded me about all of the things we really like about the X5. Also reminded me that if I hadn't tried to get the HotSpot we would be on vacation now. LOL

We went out and had a nice mid-afternoon meal and decided to take our grandson away for the weekend so at least something good will come out of this.
Appreciate 3
natahoa252.00
TXSchnee1307.50
VTENGR1052.50
      06-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #28
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Cancel your reservations? What? Take the X5 loaner and drive the crap out of it for the 4 weeks. Let BMW absorb their own costs of their dumbass incompetence. Cancel reservations? Seriously?
Actually I did ask if I could take a loaner but they said they couldn't do that. Thought maybe I would get lucky but no dice. Oh well, a learning experience.
they owe you a car its their fault. they can bill BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #29
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
I was getting more and more down as I was doing the drive from the dealership to home but my wife reminded me about all of the things we really like about the X5. Also reminded me that if I hadn't tried to get the HotSpot we would be on vacation now. LOL

We went out and had a nice mid-afternoon meal and decided to take our grandson away for the weekend so at least something good will come out of this.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Being in CO myself I kept pushing until my CD gets resolved because yours were working fine. And now, this ...

BMW's fail safe design in their CD software or hardware (hopefully not the latter) is really bad. In the event of failure it seems everything just fall apart without capability to trace where the failure occurred. Otherwise they could have easily found solutions.

I hope they can fix your issues sooner. Having experienced CD issues for the 1st 3 weeks of my first BMW ownership I can feel your pain.
      06-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. Being in CO myself I kept pushing until my CD gets resolved because yours were working fine. And now, this ...

BMW's fail safe design in their CD software or hardware (hopefully not the latter) is really bad. In the event of failure it seems everything just fall apart without capability to trace where the failure occurred. Otherwise they could have easily found solutions.

I hope they can fix your issues sooner. Having experienced CD issues for the 1st 3 weeks of my first BMW ownership I can feel your pain.

Thanks. I think the dealers are just as frustrated with the CD situation as we are. What really surprised me is that they have to call the same number for support as we do. CD is evidently supplied by a third-party and there is no BMW backdoor to support. I told them I couldn't believe that BMW would handicap them like that and they agreed. Hopefully this new TCU solves may problem and I at least get back to where I was. If the HotSpot doesn't work I'm not even going to care.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #31
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

I know you have been commenting on my connected drive post well welcome to my world lol at first I just could not use connected drive app ,after days on the phone now it's 100 times worse, they reset my esa with a new email,name and address now entire car has no connection like you , these people have no clue what they are doing , sos everything is out bmw genius made me a appointment to update my software I'm on .35 purchased May 1 , the genius says once software updated should not be a issue lol , crazy thing is tonight I got a brilliant idea to disconnect battery to see if that would trigger a reset I unhooked the battery in the trunk totally, must be another battery I was able to start car and drive around the corner with not even one warning light ?////// I figured would at least light up like a Christmas tree with warnings , this has me so frustrated I really don't want the vehicle anymore , I have only driven bmws for last 20 years ,
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #32
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
I know you have been commenting on my connected drive post well welcome to my world lol at first I just could not use connected drive app ,after days on the phone now it's 100 times worse, they reset my esa with a new email,name and address now entire car has no connection like you , these people have no clue what they are doing , sos everything is out bmw genius made me a appointment to update my software I'm on .35 purchased May 1 , the genius says once software updated should not be a issue lol , crazy thing is tonight I got a brilliant idea to disconnect battery to see if that would trigger a reset I unhooked the battery in the trunk totally, must be another battery I was able to start car and drive around the corner with not even one warning light ?////// I figured would at least light up like a Christmas tree with warnings , this has me so frustrated I really don't want the vehicle anymore , I have only driven bmws for last 20 years ,
Interesting, like Smithcinema said, there must be two batteries, so one is under the cargo floor, where is the other one and what type of batteries are they both?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #33
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Interesting, like Smithcinema said, there must be two batteries, so one is under the cargo floor, where is the other one and what type of batteries are they both?
What amazing is when I disconnected the battery fully I did not even get a warning or anything
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I know you have been commenting on my connected drive post well welcome to my world lol at first I just could not use connected drive app ,after days on the phone now it's 100 times worse, they reset my esa with a new email,name and address now entire car has no connection like you , these people have no clue what they are doing , sos everything is out bmw genius made me a appointment to update my software I'm on .35 purchased May 1 , the genius says once software updated should not be a issue lol ,
Not a world I want to be in. lol Unfortunately your experience probably means that changing the TCU won't change mine. I have been saying all along it is a problem with the database/servers on CD's side and my dealer agrees but CD says no and BMW engineering evidently doesn't have a way to prove it. Maybe I will get lucky and things will work.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #35
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Batteries:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #36
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

FWIW, my wifi hotspot is crap too. When my phone is connected to it using the phone for Googling or apps just gets hung up and never loads even though it says it's "connected" to Direct - BMWXXXX. Same thing when I connect my iPad - 1/2 loads. Oddly though, my park mobile app works through the car automatically which it didn't during the free trial period, it started working after I signed up for the monthly plan.
Now this is odd. For the first time, my wifi hotspot is working perfectly and doesn't hang up on websites. I don't know it was because I did an over the air update yesterday, if it was because I changed my wifi password to something I could remember or if it was because I completely unpaired and re-paired my phone after the update, but everything is working the way I think the Wifi should with fast loading.

I wish yours was this easy. Good luck again!
      06-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #37
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Now this is odd. For the first time, my wifi hotspot is working perfectly
Sure, just rub it in.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      06-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #38
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Batteries:
Thanks TurtleBoy! Where did you find that battery info? I don't see it portrayed that way in the manual pdf or the on line manual I have.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #39
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interesting update:
Drove my car this morning, checked for updates, none found (in car or on the app).

HOWEVER, I now have the experience mode, caring car and climate control rules in both the settings, and widget/apps.

So somehow, those were added to iDrive. You might want to check your car for them in the coming days.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #40
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting update:
Drove my car this morning, checked for updates, none found (in car or on the app).

HOWEVER, I now have the experience mode, caring car and climate control rules in both the settings, and widget/apps.

So somehow, those were added to iDrive. You might want to check your car for them in the coming days.
Doesn't that bother you? It would me, I don't like the idea of something being automatically updated without the my knowledge and permission. I would also want to know what exactly is being updated, removed, added...like Apple tells you before you update your products. I don't want to get in the car, start driving only to find out things are working differently.
If that bugs you too, here is an excerpt on the various options in terms of updates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #41
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't that bother you? It would me, I don't like the idea of something being automatically updated without the my knowledge and permission. I would also want to know what exactly is being updated ....
I’m not sure if anything was uploaded. Suddenly those functions appeared, but they prob were always there but for some reason inactive. Beats me.

The problem with all of these devices is that if you don’t accept updates, the device eventually becomes unusable. And, thanks to too many updates, sometimes that takes out a device also (like an old phone or pretty much any Windows computer).

I usually don’t set my devices for auto updates - I have to check for them periodically. And notifications appear on the apps, etc. The Apple updates are becoming more onerous. I have an iPhone 7, and I’m sure most of them are directed toward newer models and just gum up my OS.

I’ll take a look at those settings for sure! I’ve also got notifications turned on for available updates, so I should know when they arrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #42
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting update:

Doesn't that bother you? It would me, I don't like the idea of something being automatically updated without the my knowledge and permission. I would also want to know what exactly is being updated, removed, added...like Apple tells you before you update your products. I don't want to get in the car, start driving only to find out things are working differently.
If that bugs you too, here is an excerpt on the various options in terms of updates.
That's what wiped out my car it was working fine then they updated the I drive to the experience apps and boom nothing works I told them I don't ever want a update again
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #43
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's what wiped out my car it was working fine then they updated the I drive to the experience apps and boom nothing works I told them I don't ever want a update again
My car is working okay, but the last two days I’ve gone through every setting, and sometimes it seems like a ghost changes them. Maybe restart your iDrive and see if that helps.

I’ve only done that once. Not sure it helped, but maybe I should do that again. Hold in the radio button for a while until it shows iDrive being rebooted.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #44
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is working okay, but the last two days I’ve gone through every setting, and sometimes it seems like a ghost changes them. Maybe restart your iDrive and see if that helps.

I’ve only done that once. Not sure it helped, but maybe I should do that again. Hold in the radio button for a while until it shows iDrive being rebooted.
https://youtu.be/HYODuZAZO0E
Appreciate 0