BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

XM goes turns off if synced phone is looking at web page

Starting to get frustrating. When listening to XM radio. And somebody picks up a saint phone to look at a webpage it turns off the XM. This is happening with the iPhone which is also on airplay.
This whole system is quirky.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Starting to get frustrating. When listening to XM radio. And somebody picks up a saint phone to look at a webpage it turns off the XM. This is happening with the iPhone which is also on airplay.
I'm guessing your phone is connected to the vehicle's WiFi? Seems very odd that this would happen - certainly should not be the desired outcome of this use-case!
      07-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Yeah this doesn't happen to me. Often the wife is even playing you tube or browsing shopping sites while I drive. Her and my phone both synced up. She also has a habit of playing her music from her phone.......

Wonder if this is a Iphone thing with the airplay??? I have android so dunno.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

If anybody can think of a solution please let me know it bugs the hell out of me. How do you turn off the Wi-Fi function. I don’t think I need it for anything
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
If anybody can think of a solution please let me know it bugs the hell out of me. How do you turn off the Wi-Fi function. I don’t think I need it for anything
I believe that the car needs to connect to your phone via WiFi to interact with CarPlay (I don't use the feature in my vehicle, so I'm certainly not an authoritative voice on this capability). I ran across the following PDF on BMW's Connected Driver website that may be of some help:

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...patibility.pdf

Note in particular pages 5 and 6.
      07-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Happens on our X5 also but its because the wife's iPhone received a call, or she browsed to a web site that is generating audio such as youtube, cnn, cbs etc. I turned on TimeShift on the SiriusXM settings so the Sirius/XM program I am listening to will be buffered and play once she is done with her call etc so I won't miss anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Quote:
Happens on our X5 also but its because the wife's iPhone received a call, or she browsed to a web site that is generating audio such as youtube, cnn, cbs etc. I turned on TimeShift on the SiriusXM settings so the Sirius/XM program I am listening to will be buffered and play once she is done with her call etc so I won't miss anything.
^ this seems the likely culprit. Consider (at least as a diagnostic) BT-unpairing the offending phone - you don't need to be BT paired to use the wifi hotspot. If this fixes the issue, then core issue is BT intervention with the car audio as part of the hands-free BT profile (HFP profile, I believe).

If it is the latter, I believe there is a per-paired phone setting parameter that might help, but it will disable the ability to use the car cell phone speakerphone with that specific BT-paired phone as well.
      07-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

You need to turn off car play. Your phone is sending a signal to the car that it wants to play audio from the web page and the car flips to phone audio source when in carplay.
Appreciate 0