03-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #199
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Yup - the hording cash mentality - aka My Wife when I met her. She is much better, but when we first met, she had about 2 years gross salary sitting in her checking account at 0% interest. I was speechless. lol.
I grew up poor...and watched my parents struggle with things as simple as a tire needing replaced.

Left quite an impact on me. I used to be really bad, but once I seen the impact of how much money I was losing.....I eased up a lot.

But I still hate to owe anyone or anything, and will admit it's been a struggle to learn and leverage where I put my finances!
haagm58809.50
      03-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #200
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thoughts on ETFs that attempt to short the market? SPXU for example. I don't see how this ends anytime soon, and would expect it to have long lasting effects for the next two to three months, especially when the next quarter's financial reports come out.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #201
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Yup - the hording cash mentality - aka My Wife when I met her. She is much better, but when we first met, she had about 2 years gross salary sitting in her checking account at 0% interest. I was speechless. lol.
I grew up poor...and watched my parents struggle with things as simple as a tire needing replaced.

Left quite an impact on me. I used to be really bad, but once I seen the impact of how much money I was losing.....I eased up a lot.

But I still hate to owe anyone or anything, and will admit it's been a struggle to learn and leverage where I put my finances!
My same situation. After growing up like that I swore I would never want to be in the same situation as my parents. They only graduated high school (I know lots of people who have been very successful without a degree). For me, I made sure I had my education completed on a graduate level. When it comes to making big financial decisions I don't do well and panic. My husband has learned to just wait it out until I rationalize everything. It took me quite a while to pull the trigger on my X5 M50i even though my car allowance with my job covers 90%. I do keep a large cash reserve which keeps my anxiety down.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
wdb4673.00
      03-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #202
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
My same situation. After growing up like that I swore I would never want to be in the same situation as my parents. They only graduated high school (I know lots of people who have been very successful without a degree). For me, I made sure I had my education completed on a graduate level. When it comes to making big financial decisions I don't do well and panic. My husband has learned to just wait it out until I rationalize everything. It took me quite a while to pull the trigger on my X5 M50i even though my car allowance with my job covers 90%. I do keep a large cash reserve which keeps my anxiety down.
I highly recommend reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and "You Are a Badass At Making Money." They may help, and I apologize if you've read them already. Two of my favorite "finance" books for the value they provide. They also help the reader understand the psyche around money.
Appreciate 1
TboneS54989.50
      03-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #203
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Sold my remaining DWT a day early, I see.
      03-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #204
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:
I highly recommend reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and "You Are a Badass At Making Money." They may help, and I apologize if you've read them already. Two of my favorite "finance" books for the value they provide. They also help the reader understand the psyche around money.
I haven't read them so thank you for the recommendation!
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      03-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #205
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't read them so thank you for the recommendation!
You're very welcome!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #206
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Thoughts on ETFs that attempt to short the market? SPXU for example. I don't see how this ends anytime soon, and would expect it to have long lasting effects for the next two to three months, especially when the next quarter's financial reports come out.
Proceed with extreme caution
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #207
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Nice.....ETF's have been where I have been buying as well. VOOG and VOO primarily.

But I set a limit on myself of $25K. I'm no expert by any means, but I keep an emergency fund that would last almost 2 years and figured it could be pared down a little.

I still have to get past the "hoarding cash" disorder that I have....although I have gotten much better. I'm overly cautious about everything!!
Bear market or not that's just not an efficient use of money. It may seem like she is ahead now but over the long-term that mentality will cost her.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #208
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Bear market or not that's just not an efficient use of money. It may seem like she is ahead now but over the long-term that mentality will cost her.
yes - although, some points to consider:

a) she lived on about 20% of her income.
b) in addition to the cash hoard, she fully contributed to IRA and 401(k) max limits.
c) she is from a different country where things get out of control quickly and there is no social safety net like SSI. If you broke, you just die.

So I can see where she was coming from.
arkie6397.00
      03-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #209
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Yup - although ETF's are probably still a better plan. Over the last 2 weeks, I've purchased right at $70K worth of additional ETF's, mostly when the DOW was between 20,500 and 23,600. As such, some of these purchases are in the negative right now, since the bottom hasn't been reached yet most likely. Regardless, I am in a strong position to make some solid returns when it does come back.

Primary purchases were QQQ, DIA, VOO, and VOOG.
Quote:
Nice.....ETF's have been where I have been buying as well. VOOG and VOO primarily.

But I set a limit on myself of $25K. I'm no expert by any means, but I keep an emergency fund that would last almost 2 years and figured it could be pared down a little.

I still have to get past the "hoarding cash" disorder that I have....although I have gotten much better. I'm overly cautious about everything!!

Just purchased some VOO as well. Will purchase some QQQ if the market keeps going down.

Are you guys picking up any individual stocks? So far I've got: Shell B, DISney, Lyft, UPS.

Thinking about Tesla and Apple. I think Tesla is still over valued at this time, but can be a good buy if it dips under $300's.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #210
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I bought a small amount of Walmart lower than where it is now. Also bought some Walgreens around where it is now. Otherwise sticking with ETFs (bought a little XLU and XLP).
      03-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #211
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Just purchased some VOO as well. Will purchase some QQQ if the market keeps going down.

Are you guys picking up any individual stocks? So far I've got: Shell B, DISney, Lyft, UPS.

Thinking about Tesla and Apple. I think Tesla is still over valued at this time, but can be a good buy if it dips under $300's.
Nice - QQQ seems rather leveraged, so I took a bath when I bought most of it between $181 and $190, but considering it was at $237 just 2 months ago, I stand to make a lick when it comes back some day, as I am currently holding 85 shares.

For individual stocks - I strongly advise against it - just too risky. I don't feel you get enough upside for the downside. There are always exceptions, but overall - it typically doesn't work out for the marginal investor.
      03-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #212
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Bought into UPRO, SPXL, and VOO yesterday. I figure it might go lower short term, but its definitely going higher long. Now we wait.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #213
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Bought into UPRO, SPXL, and VOO yesterday. I figure it might go lower short term, but its definitely going higher long. Now we wait.
Haha - reminded me of this clip from Family Guy. "And now we play the waiting game"

03-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #214
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Nice - QQQ seems rather leveraged, so I took a bath when I bought most of it between $181 and $190, but considering it was at $237 just 2 months ago, I stand to make a lick when it comes back some day, as I am currently holding 85 shares.

For individual stocks - I strongly advise against it - just too risky. I don't feel you get enough upside for the downside. There are always exceptions, but overall - it typically doesn't work out for the marginal investor.
Same here. I can't say I haven't been tempted...but I talk myself out of it. Now if Tesla were to get down close to the $2XX range...I would probably throw caution to the wind.
      03-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #215
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Same here. I can't say I haven't been tempted...but I talk myself out of it. Now if Tesla were to get down close to the $2XX range...I would probably throw caution to the wind.
I agree with you and Run Silent. 95% of my portfolio is in ETF's and TDIF. I just invest in some individual stocks in times like these or if I feel the company will do well after a bad run (think of chipotle and their salmonella outbreak).
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #216
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Any devout Bogleheads in here?
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #217
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:

Present
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      03-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #218
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Quote:

Present
I read Jack Bogle's book and agree with his philosophy, I just need to do a better job putting it into practice. How have you found it working for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #219
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure about devout but I consider myself a boglehead

Quote:
I read Jack Bogle's book and agree with his philosophy, I just need to do a better job putting it into practice. How have you found it working for you?
Depends on how you define working. I used to buy a little bit of every fund offered in my 401k every 2 weeks. That was 24 different funds. Figured that was good diversification. I also bought a lot of naked puts. And I bought individual stocks on a whim and never held them longer than a year because I chickened out. I was an emotional investor and lagging the market.

Now that I am a boglehead, my investment policy statement is very simple. I am guaranteed a market average return which is better than 90% of fund managers over any 10+ year period. And I don’t futz is with my investments much. This bear has my asset allocation a bit bond heavy so I am switching my contributions from bonds to stocks. That’s about as complex as my investment decisions get these days.

By my definition, it is working for me.
      03-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #220
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Just dropped more money in on SPXL, UPRO, and VOO. Spin that wheel!
Appreciate 1