BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #23
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordaldino View Post
I agree generally but based on a quick search of this forum it doesnt appear there are exhaust options for the m50i. Makes me skeptical exhausts will be made for m60i anytime soon.
There are some great options for the M50 and a few for the M60 already, however they are extremely overpriced.
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2023, 12:49 PM   #24
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PO View Post
There are some great options for the M50 and a few for the M60 already, however they are extremely overpriced.
Yeah, not looking for a 5K buck cat back especially when I know that I'm not ever keeping a new vehicle for even 3 years.
Appreciate 1
T3PO97.50
      12-24-2023, 07:25 PM   #25
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Yeah, not looking for a 5K buck cat back especially when I know that I'm not ever keeping a new vehicle for even 3 years.
It must be the lack of sales of the vehicles relative to the production costs sprinkled in with a bit of a BMW up charge premium. I would imagine they would make a hefty profit even with Valvetronics at $1.5K-$2K for an axle back.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 08:29 AM   #26
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Does anyone know if the plumbing is the same as the xm5 whether do, secondary do, midpipe, axle/ muffler?

We could all bug AA to try and build a midpipe
T3PO97.50
      12-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #27
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstatestud88 View Post
Does anyone know if the plumbing is the same as the xm5 whether do, secondary do, midpipe, axle/ muffler?

We could all bug AA to try and build a midpipe
They exit at basically the same point, the difference is the X5 (M60) has the same rear valence/bumper as the X5 with the tips hidden. The X5M has the tips exposed. Given the same motor, I would guess the undercarriage piping would be very similar albeit the comp most likely runs a wider pipe and probably different mufflers and resonators.

This would be a good comparison to see, ultimately if there was crossover between the M60 and X5M it would make more options available.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 06:13 PM   #28
cobramite
Banned
Rep

As much as I hate to admit this, I am beginning to enjoy the stealth aspect with the power of the M60i. They should have given us sport exhaust call button for those times when additional exhaust volume is desired.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2023, 03:08 PM   #29
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

FWIW, just got back from the muffler/exhaust shop. We put the M60 up, in my excitement I failed to get pics.

However I can tell you all this:
- 3” piping all the way back (metric so a tad smaller)
- Secondary cats are basically in the same spot as the M50 (no surprise)
- Resonator has armor/ heat shielding/dampening around it - cannot tell if X or H pipe
- valvetronics are mounted in a good spot - up under the rear bumper well
- exhaust tips are mounted/attached to rear bumper (not ideal)

Based on the layout in place the shop recommended the following for a good sounding solution:
- pay ~$4-$5K for an axle back/catback system with install
- Have a custom exhaust built - also not cheap. TBD, ballpark of $2-$3k.
- Leave main resonator (X/H Pipe), delete muffler and add a high flow resonator on each exhaust by the tip in place of the stock muffler. Approx $400.

Doing this last option they recommended keeping the stock muffler so as to be able to return to stock if I want.

This is the first S68 they have seen so they cannot give me an idea of what it will sound like, but given the added resonators creating a more refined sound vs straight pipes. All in all they felt like it would sound very close to the M50 with a muffler delete. The resonators are basically a safety net to prevent:
- A fart canesque noise
- Too loud of an exhaust, especially on start up

By not removing the X/H pipe I will lose additional burbles that typically come with an aftermarket X pipe. IMO I am ok with this because I do not want an excessive amount of burbles that sound awful AND I by keeping the stock resonator I will not have to worry about drone or a bunch of extra cabin noise.
Appreciate 3
      12-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #30
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, just got back from the muffler/exhaust shop. We put the M60 up, in my excitement I failed to get pics.

However I can tell you all this:
- 3” piping all the way back (metric so a tad smaller)
- Secondary cats are basically in the same spot as the M50 (no surprise)
- Resonator has armor/ heat shielding/dampening around it - cannot tell if X or H pipe
- valvetronics are mounted in a good spot - up under the rear bumper well
- exhaust tips are mounted/attached to rear bumper (not ideal)

Based on the layout in place the shop recommended the following for a good sounding solution:
- pay ~$4-$5K for an axle back/catback system with install
- Have a custom exhaust built - also not cheap. TBD, ballpark of $2-$3k.
- Leave main resonator (X/H Pipe), delete muffler and add a high flow resonator on each exhaust by the tip in place of the stock muffler. Approx $400.

Doing this last option they recommended keeping the stock muffler so as to be able to return to stock if I want.

This is the first S68 they have seen so they cannot give me an idea of what it will sound like, but given the added resonators creating a more refined sound vs straight pipes. All in all they felt like it would sound very close to the M50 with a muffler delete. The resonators are basically a safety net to prevent:
- A fart canesque noise
- Too loud of an exhaust, especially on start up

By not removing the X/H pipe I will lose additional burbles that typically come with an aftermarket X pipe. IMO I am ok with this because I do not want an excessive amount of burbles that sound awful AND I by keeping the stock resonator I will not have to worry about drone or a bunch of extra cabin noise.
Wow, this is great information and thanks for taking the time post. I am sure that there are others here who will be interested also.
Choice #3 above looks very appealing.
What are you going to do here?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 04:46 PM   #31
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Wow, this is great information and thanks for taking the time post. I am sure that there are others here who will be interested also.
Choice #3 above looks very appealing.
What are you going to do here?
I started choice 3 about 2-3 weeks ago. Reached out to a fabrication shop that works with the “premier” BMW performance shop in Denver, building custom parts for customers. I have yet to hear back from them. I will probably follow up after the new year. The performance shop warned me beforehand that it would not be cheap.

In theory, all one should really need is the fab shop to build a muffler with more free flowing air paths that can be welded back into the stock muffler location. Hoping this is the case, then I can just have the shop weld back. The muffler/exhaust shop I went to today said the lack of sound is mostly coming from the giant muffler, with that being said an aftermarket downpipe would really open it up. The issue with the downpipes are the primary cats, you basically have to get a catted one (not cheap to buy or install) and hope it doesn’t throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 01:51 PM   #32
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

T3PO why not just go with red star downpipes
      12-28-2023, 04:13 PM   #33
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstatestud88 View Post
T3PO why not just go with red star downpipes
The catted versions start at $3.8K, not worth it IMO especially if it may throw a code.
Appreciate 1
cobramite1227.50
      12-28-2023, 04:23 PM   #34
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The catted versions start at $3.8K, not worth it IMO especially if it may throw a code.
Absolutely agree.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 09:29 PM   #35
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Could always go 2ndary plus your other options listed
      12-28-2023, 09:55 PM   #36
bwhich86
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60I LCI

Just as an update. I’ve been trying to find time to get this video made, but, had the res delete done about a month ago. Noticed a mild improvement. I’ve found lower rpm’s provide the best sound, this thing still sounds terrible from 5k and up. Not saying this thing doesn’t rip, but I really thing this beast needs a better d/p and maybe a cat delete. So much potential. Wish Dinan or someone would jump on board and help us out.

https://youtu.be/1yEmEdlm84Q?si=2DtoXlMienbcXqrv
Appreciate 3
      12-29-2023, 01:44 AM   #37
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhich86 View Post
Just as an update. I’ve been trying to find time to get this video made, but, had the res delete done about a month ago. Noticed a mild improvement. I’ve found lower rpm’s provide the best sound, this thing still sounds terrible from 5k and up. Not saying this thing doesn’t rip, but I really thing this beast needs a better d/p and maybe a cat delete. So much potential. Wish Dinan or someone would jump on board and help us out.

Given they come stock with a ~3” pipe a downpipe and muffler delete or axle back should make it sound like a monster.

The issue with a downpipe is you run the risk of throwing a code with a catted DP or having to do a DME unlock (unsure if available on the M60) on a catless DP to run a protune and then not update the vehicle during any service or risk deleting the DME unlock which is time consuming and not cheap.

Personally, I think the best option will be someone finding a fab shop that can produce an aftermarket muffler that is more free flowing to produce that euro V8 sound we want while not having a $100k vehicle sound like a fart can. Unfortunately, in the present, nobody wants to be the Guinea pig (raises hand).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 01:45 AM   #38
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Copy quote messed up. Thank you very much for sharing. It does sound noticeably better, but as you mentioned it does die off around 4.5-5k RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:05 PM   #39
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone know about Immigrant Racing?
Looks like they have a cat back and axle back valved exhaust.

Should have a few videos sent to me to post next week on a cat back non res version

They have done plenty in the m2/3/4 space

https://irlllc.com/products/irl-x5-m...Ic_Pf8S41l4Aqk
T3PO97.50
      01-10-2024, 03:19 PM   #40
Aircooled
Private
Rep
Drives: 911/X4 MComp/ M60i

Quote:

Thanks for the video! I think this mod would be a good first step for me on getting more sound out of my X6 M60i.
A couple of questions:
Can you tell me what you replaced the resonator with? Did the shop provide it? What was the $ for that instal?

Considering your hearing the best sound improvement at low RPM, are you getting any drone at cruising RPM (1500-2000)?
My concern is that I believe the res is there to control drone at those RPM's.
Thanks!

Last edited by Aircooled; 01-10-2024 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:24 PM   #41
Aircooled
Private
Rep
Drives: 911/X4 MComp/ M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idemo View Post
Have you guys also gotten the valve controller as this will help too
The valve controller?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:56 AM   #42
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Exhaust valve controller, the oem vales don’t open 100% and this actually is keeping a good a amount of tone and volume down
Looks like this has been tried with minimal gain: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029444
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 03:07 PM   #43
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Just came across this as a potential solution, ATM something like this or the Immigrant racing axle back option seems like the way to go from a price perspective. The problem with the valvetronics is that it is a generic cookie cutter design, not designed specifically for the M60. One would need to get the dimensions from the website and either measure yourself or at a shop to see if they would fit, link below: https://valvetronic.com/products/uni...39496534491172

One final note, using the valvetronics mufflers will essentiall result in a muffler delete ish sound as the “muffler” when in full open mode is a straight pipe air flow. The advantage to this vs a muffler delete will mostly be the aesthetics and valve controllability, you possibly might get a slightly different/better sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:23 AM   #44
T3PO
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Swapping out the catback is a noticeable difference but I think what most guys are looking at is the deep v8 rumble only way you obtain mkre volume and tone will be adding downpipes
Definitely, the downpipes will help, but IMO the risk reward is not worth it with no way to realistically tune them. Catted downpipes are $3K plus and no guarantee you won’t throw a code. Uncatted are considerably less expensive, but you will definitely throw a code. Swapping out the giant muffler with something less restrictive should be the safest and least cost prohibitive option. Money not being a factor, I would get a Dahler or even Akropovic CBE along with the catted DP’s and call it good. Just not worth the headache or price on a 5000 lb SUV IMO.
Appreciate 0