BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2024, 12:08 PM   #1
reillyrocks
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: audi s4

Thinking about purchasing 2021 X5 M50i

hello we are thinking of replacing a 2014 Q5 2.0T with an out-of-warranty 2021 X5 M50i with 56k miles......i'm not impressed with a lot of staggered 21in tire options but it appears i will need to make that decision. Also thinking about pushing dealer to replace pads/rotors all around as they are at 6mm and that will end up on my lap very quickly. Its heavily optioned at $103k msrp and its in my favorite color combo. I've got the selling dealership(non BMW) giving me quotes for a 48 - 60month extended warranties as i'm wary of costs of failure items outside of normal maintenance. Can anyone provide me with some caveats and concerns? We test drove a local X5 M50i and were beyond giddy. I'd consider a 2019 X5 xdrive 50i with 456HP if more were available but am more pleased with the higher level of appointments in the M50i. Perhaps I would ask some 2020-2022 X5 M50i owners if they would consider buying the car they currently owned since new knowing all they do after their 3-4 years of ownership. thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-15-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Had mine for a few months now, mine has basically all.options but Merino, air ride, tow, and alcantara roof. I wouldn't prefer any of those options over what I have now.

I like it a lot. It's a little on the small side I think, if I was doing it over again, I'd probably have gone X7 M50i. Expect to spend exorbitant money on tires. Fuel economy is going to be nuts coming out of a 2.0t, but I don't think it's too bad. The rear seat room is kinda crappy, my kids are in car seats now so it isn't an issue, but it doesn't make a great main family vehicle, it's just too small. That'sy biggest complaint really.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      03-15-2024, 12:45 PM   #3
reillyrocks
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Excellent insight, thank you....we are empty nesters who are interested in the power and refinement of the X5 M50i as opposed to a Cayenne or SQ8 or Mercedes.....we own 3 other performance vehicles so are really interested in the impressive leap of the M50i over the capable Q5. We're so impressed with our heavily modified 2015 F25 and just would love to own something a little larger than the current X3/X4....right now we have not test driven an SQ8 but were really unimpressed with the Q8 and not really impressed with a 2018 Panamera 4S.....we do like the feel and sound and looks of the G05 X5 M50i so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

interesting that you think the rear seats are tight BlkGS -- I thought it was quite good. we also have 2 kids in seats (one booster/front facing, one rear facing) but even full size adults fit comfortably there imo.

my wife has a '22 m50i, i just picked up an M Comp for me. wife loves hers, and before i got mine, i enjoyed driving hers any time i did. we did have some electric gremlins in the beginning (DSC system crapped out, left her stranded in a parking lot bc the safety system locked the parking brake), and something else DSC-related I don't remember anymore, but otherwise so far so good.

if it weren't a lease, (and if my wife hadn't gotten into an accident in it recently) i'd seriously consider buying it out.

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:43 PM   #5
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
interesting that you think the rear seats are tight BlkGS -- I thought it was quite good. we also have 2 kids in seats (one booster/front facing, one rear facing) but even full size adults fit comfortably there imo.

my wife has a '22 m50i, i just picked up an M Comp for me. wife loves hers, and before i got mine, i enjoyed driving hers any time i did. we did have some electric gremlins in the beginning (DSC system crapped out, left her stranded in a parking lot bc the safety system locked the parking brake), and something else DSC-related I don't remember anymore, but otherwise so far so good.

if it weren't a lease, (and if my wife hadn't gotten into an accident in it recently) i'd seriously consider buying it out.
Our family car is an Expedition. So most things have small backseats compared to that. But also compared to previous cars like Ford Edge, Nissan Rogue, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Trailblazer, etc the X5 backseat is unimpressive. It's fine, don't get me wrong, but it's not like, a big car. It kinda just cut it for us, I would have loved an X3M, but the backseat on that was too small, a rear facing car seat wouldn't have fit behind me. I'm only 6'2 and prefer an upgrogjtndrovong position as well.

That said, to be fair, the other vehicles I was seriously looking at were a bit larger -namely Durango and Explorer.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:46 PM   #6
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reillyrocks View Post
Excellent insight, thank you....we are empty nesters who are interested in the power and refinement of the X5 M50i as opposed to a Cayenne or SQ8 or Mercedes.....we own 3 other performance vehicles so are really interested in the impressive leap of the M50i over the capable Q5. We're so impressed with our heavily modified 2015 F25 and just would love to own something a little larger than the current X3/X4....right now we have not test driven an SQ8 but were really unimpressed with the Q8 and not really impressed with a 2018 Panamera 4S.....we do like the feel and sound and looks of the G05 X5 M50i so much.
The M50i is the performance SUV bargain of the century right now. I was strongly considering Durango Hellcat before getting my M50i. While it can't quite hang with the Hellcat, it's close, and cheaper on the secondhand market. It's faster than the 392 powered Mopars, and cheaper to boot. Nothing else really comes close except for maybe a screaming deal on a SQ7.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:03 PM   #7
1Boxer
Private
United_States
Rep

I bought a 2021 M50i in December of 2022 and it's been great. I haven't had any issues at all and the only service I had done was regular oil changes. The car only had 13K miles on it and looked brand new when I found it. After driving it for the last 15 months, looks like the tires will be due for a replacement by summer but that's it. Insurance is costly on it but I was prepared for that and if drive it like a lunatic, like I do, the gas mileage does dip quite a bit. Aside from that, if I were to buy it again, I would but only the pre LCI model due to the lack of physical buttons and I'm not a fan of the giant screen instead of a regular instrument cluster. I came from a GMC Yukon, and while a great truck, it handled corners like a boat and compared to the X5, it was severely lacking power.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:00 PM   #8
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

You will get lots of support here for the X5...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:53 PM   #9
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I've seen a handful of posts on transfer case failures. My X5 is less than 2 years old, so I haven't experienced this, but could be worth looking into for awareness.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:12 PM   #10
BruinMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

I recently purchased a 2021 M50i that was fully loaded and almost $104,000 MSRP. Amazing the depreciation on a SAV that is only 3 years old and 17,500 miles on it. Love everything. I would recommend purchasing a CPO SAV from a BMW dealership and get a CPO wrap warranty. That warranty isn’t that expensive and it has unlimited miles. Take your time and search. The prices are actually dropping pretty good. When you find one, get ready to buy. Fully loaded - they don’t last long. That cold start is a sound that makes you smile.

I needed a warranty because I put on a lot of miles.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-15-2024, 09:15 PM   #11
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinMan View Post
I recently purchased a 2021 M50i that was fully loaded and almost $104,000 MSRP. Amazing the depreciation on a SAV that is only 3 years old and 17,500 miles on it. Love everything. I would recommend purchasing a CPO SAV from a BMW dealership and get a CPO wrap warranty. That warranty isn’t that expensive and it has unlimited miles. Take your time and search. The prices are actually dropping pretty good. When you find one, get ready to buy. Fully loaded - they don’t last long. That cold start is a sound that makes you smile.

I needed a warranty because I put on a lot of miles.
Mind me asking for a range of what you paid - curious where these are actually trading these days
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:38 PM   #12
BruinMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Mind me asking for a range of what you paid - curious where these are actually trading these days
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:16 AM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
hello we are thinking of replacing a 2014 Q5 2.0T with an out-of-warranty 2021 X5 M50i with 56k miles......i'm not impressed with a lot of staggered 21in tire options but it appears i will need to make that decision. Also thinking about pushing dealer to replace pads/rotors all around as they are at 6mm and that will end up on my lap very quickly. Its heavily optioned at $103k msrp and its in my favorite color combo. I've got the selling dealership(non BMW) giving me quotes for a 48 - 60month extended warranties as i'm wary of costs of failure items outside of normal maintenance. Can anyone provide me with some caveats and concerns? We test drove a local X5 M50i and were beyond giddy. I'd consider a 2019 X5 xdrive 50i with 456HP if more were available but am more pleased with the higher level of appointments in the M50i. Perhaps I would ask some 2020-2022 X5 M50i owners if they would consider buying the car they currently owned since new knowing all they do after their 3-4 years of ownership. thanks in advance
I think the M50i is both reliable and a great fun SUV. No reason not to get one if it was well taken care of - Although I have only bought used as CPO plus the extended BMW warranty (wrap). I don’t like to own without some sort of warranty, but if the X5 was well taken care of you should be fine. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:40 AM   #14
reillyrocks
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Can i ask if any current X5 M50i owners are now thinking about their next car? We're considering an M850i Gran Coupe as well and that comes with our same reservations (ignorance?) of the integrity of that powertrain......Would love to own a Panamera Sport Turismo but i really believe the ownership costs of a BMW still resonate with me. Did anyone in the current X5 M50i consider the SQ7/SQ8 ? I find the SQ7 really boring looking compared to the X5 M50i. I think I need to get some quotes on a long extended warranty......that 2021 X5 M50i with 56k miles is just staring at me !
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 11:05 AM   #15
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can i ask if any current X5 M50i owners are now thinking about their next car? We're considering an M850i Gran Coupe as well and that comes with our same reservations (ignorance?) of the integrity of that powertrain......Would love to own a Panamera Sport Turismo but i really believe the ownership costs of a BMW still resonate with me. Did anyone in the current X5 M50i consider the SQ7/SQ8 ? I find the SQ7 really boring looking compared to the X5 M50i. I think I need to get some quotes on a long extended warranty......that 2021 X5 M50i with 56k miles is just staring at me !
I think about it a lot because I'm terrified of it.

I considered SQ7, it was high on my list, and I had a deal.on one going while also working the deal for my M50i. Ultimately SQ7 was too soft due to the air ride, and didn't offer things like remote start that were deal.breaks for me. The HVAC lcd screen also was not something I liked at all. There's the M60i, but it doesn't feel like a real upgrade to me, it feels like a slightly quicker down grade.

Ultimately I think my replacement for the X5 will likely be either an Escalade V, a sporty pickup truck of some sort, or maybe the Durango Hellcat I wanted before I decided to trade reliability for luxury and MUCH lower price with the M50i.
Appreciate 0