Interesting perspective

https://www.autoguide.com/car-compar...enne-vs-bmw-x5
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

I did not read the article, but only the summary, which I agree 100%.

The Verdict: 2019 Porsche Cayenne vs BMW X5
Even when it comes to high-end luxury SUVs, the value is still important, and the X5 is much more affordable than the Cayenne S, while still offering more features, a more powerful engine, and an interior that feels much more modern than the Porsche’s. The driving experience of the X5 is muted and isolated, which is a perfect fit for those looking for a truly luxurious experience. The Porsche Cayenne is a fantastic vehicle and we love its sporty and engaging driving dynamics, but it is much more expensive than the X5 without offering enough to justify the price premium.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am a long time Porsche 911 owner (30 years). I am the owner that Porsche built the Cayenne for. It is suppose to be my everyday Porsche next to me 911 Carrara 4S right? My everyday cars were a Audi Quattro. Fast foward to the SUV movement and I wanted to like the Cayenne over the years. This year I was very serious about the new Cayenne S. The problem is, I don’t like how Porsche interprets a luxury/performance SUV. The design has always looked laze by making it look like a jacked up 911. That look doesn’t work in my eyes as it looks soft and bloated instead of aggressive. Why the 911 is so timeless and beautiful can’t be stretched and jacked up on a SUV body. It’s like a 400lbs super model. BMW nailed what a European Luxury SUV should be a long time ago and has stayed focused. The Cayenne open cupholders and odd use of plastic looks dated and cheap. I detest that “minivan-like” tilted middle console.
I am a “right vehicle” buyer over “price point”. At the $100k buying price point, another $15k doesn’t mean anything to me. The problem with the Cayenne S is when optioned up, it doesn’t feel like a $90k compared to their 911s. So $112k for a Cayenne S feels way overpriced even by Porsche standards to a Porsche owner. A 50i M-Sport optioned up feels like a $130k vehicle but somehow is only $97k.

The article says the Cayenne S “feels” more sporty and nimble but I am not buying that at all. That’s writers talk for throwing Porsche a bone to end the comparison.
Lets see them both on the skid pad and look at the numbers. I bet the BMW might be more nimble in “Sport Plus” as BMW has always found a way to hide how nimble their luxury vehicles really can be when pushed.

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-13-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 6
Ilyam5888.50
sygazelle11101.50
jimv0326.00
evodz127.00
thereef5101163.00
      03-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Agree completely....the Porsche pricing difficult to swallow. But the Cayenne really does look good, especially rear view compared to X5.
And look at the rear leather in the X5....looks great. Things are looking up! Just have to decide 40i or 50i, but definitely the white interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sygazelle11101.50
      03-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
Agree completely....the Porsche pricing difficult to swallow. But the Cayenne really does look good, especially rear view compared to X5.
And look at the rear leather in the X5....looks great. Things are looking up! Just have to decide 40i or 50i, but definitely the white interior.
Highly recommend.
Here are some pics. (warning: as I am a bad influence on your checkbook)
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1567785
Appreciate 1
GTFM377.50
      04-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Kamilio
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am a long time Porsche 911 owner (30 years). I am the owner that Porsche built the Cayenne for. It is suppose to be my everyday Porsche next to me 911 Carrara 4S right? My everyday cars were a Audi Quattro. Fast foward to the SUV movement and I wanted to like the Cayenne over the years. This year I was very serious about the new Cayenne S. The problem is, I don’t like how Porsche interprets a luxury/performance SUV. The design has always looked laze by making it look like a jacked up 911. That look doesn’t work in my eyes as it looks soft and bloated instead of aggressive. Why the 911 is so timeless and beautiful can’t be stretched and jacked up on a SUV body. It’s like a 400lbs super model. BMW nailed what a European Luxury SUV should be a long time ago and has stayed focused. The Cayenne open cupholders and odd use of plastic looks dated and cheap. I detest that “minivan-like” tilted middle console.
I am a “right vehicle” buyer over “price point”. At the $100k buying price point, another $15k doesn’t mean anything to me. The problem with the Cayenne S is when optioned up, it doesn’t feel like a $90k compared to their 911s. So $112k for a Cayenne S feels way overpriced even by Porsche standards to a Porsche owner. A 50i M-Sport optioned up feels like a $130k vehicle but somehow is only $97k.

The article says the Cayenne S “feels” more sporty and nimble but I am not buying that at all. That’s writers talk for throwing Porsche a bone to end the comparison.
Lets see them both on the skid pad and look at the numbers. I bet the BMW might be more nimble in “Sport Plus” as BMW has always found a way to hide how nimble their luxury vehicles really can be when pushed.

Mystro, where do you feel better when sitting in Cayenne or in X5?
I can just compare bmw 6 grancoupe and panamera and sitting and driving porsche is one level higher for me? The quality of both cars is exellent but in porsche I feel somehow better, it gives me more positive emotion.

I was originally decided for new x5, but because of repeated delay in delivery 4 months) I started to look around its competitors. The only competitor for me is Cayenne, so I am looking for someone who has experience with both cars?
My friend, who is car dealer mainly of supersport cars recommends me definitelly Cayenne over x5.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilio View Post
I can just compare bmw 6 grancoupe and panamera and sitting and driving porsche is one level higher for me? The quality of both cars is exellent but in porsche I feel somehow better, it gives me more positive emotion.

I was originally decided for new x5, but because of repeated delay in delivery 4 months) I started to look around its competitors. The only competitor for me is Cayenne, so I am looking for someone who has experience with both cars?
My friend, who is car dealer mainly of supersport cars recommends me definitelly Cayenne over x5.
Hands down the X5 with merino leather seats feels much more “special” than the Cayenne. The X5 properly equipped is more high end feeling in its materials used. It doesn’t feel like BMW is holding anything back with the X5.
I also think the X5 properly equipped handles better and will put down a better number in the skid pad than the Cayenne. With what we see from the GLE, the Cayenne is the only competition for the X5 as both are designed for a sporting ride. The X5 50i M-Sport with its big V8TT gives it a huge advantage in sound and low end torque over the Cayenne S. The exhaust sound alone of the 50i gives it a alpha dog presence that confirms every time you start it. I get the same kind of charge as I do with my C4S when hearing it rev. I believe it will satisfy that “x” factor you are looking for.

Here is how I view the Cayenne and X5 in the grand scheme of euro SUV’s. The BMW X5 is really the original German SUV that was designed to ride like a sports sedan. They are the inventor of the category and still the king at what it is. BMW is a master in the sport sedan world and extending that finesse to their SUV. It’s a natural progression for BMW to be good with both.
The Cayenne was really more of a answer to what BMW did with the X5. BMW doesn’t hold back in the design and evolution of the class they invented. Porsche on the other hand is a sports car company that holds the 911 as their grail vehicle. In the Porsche world the technology and performance is always targeted to the 911 and then the other vehicles under it are more of a tier 2 level within the brand. The Cayman/Boxster will never ever be let to evolve as good as they can be if it challenges the 911. This has been said many times on shows like the older Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson. He put it in a very easy way to understand when testing the Cayman when he said that he couldn’t live with a vehicle that will always be held back to a second tier level within the brand. As good as it is, it will never be allowed to live up to its full potential. The Cayenne feels this way to me. It’s like Porsche is supplying a vehicle to compete in a segment it really doesn’t have any history with and not what they do best. ”The BMW X5 is like going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering their best steak. The Cayman feels like you are going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering the fish.”

Look at the level of details and materials used from the seat controls, lighted aluminum sills to the dead pedal. It’s as upscale as you can get.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-17-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
Forrera24.50
      04-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39M

Well said mystro, I agree with everything you said. Your mystro degree is respectfully deserved
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      07-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Highly recommend.

I'm looking two years later and your photos are the best! That's for capturing this great car so well.

I've had the G05 with the Ivory for 2 year and love the interior. I test drove both the Macan and the Cayenne and my thoughts are like yours. Given your experience with Porsche and the 911, your comparison is more valuable to me than some article. I agree with you but I thought it might just be my bias toward the BMW brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #10
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

A few fragmented pieces of thought...

I had a 957 GTS (PASM with 21" 275 front and rear wheels) before the G05 40i (air suspension with 21" 275 front and 315 rear wheels). Despite the 957 GTS being a 4.8L V8, the G05's 40i 3.0 V6 has the faster straight line acceleration by quite a margin (over 1 second 0-60). That said, the cornering on the 957 was undeniably better even when the G05 is placed in sport plus; the alcantara sports seats on the GTS hugged the body a lot more around corners too. The Cayenne felt more like a car to be driven; more driver involvement and you certainly feel those bumps on the road even on the softest suspension setting.

I haven't driven nor been in a 50i nor X5M nor any X5 without air suspension, but to me, the Porsche puts a bigger smile on the face around corners. It really feels like it can defy gravity around corners - the PASM might be the key contributor. But as an everyday driver, with family in the back, the G05 40i feels like a good balance to me. The family would be forgoing quite a bit on comfort in the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
SP45e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
It’s like Porsche is supplying a vehicle to compete in a segment it really doesn’t have any history with and not what they do best. ”The BMW X5 is like going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering their best steak. The Cayman feels like you are going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering the fish.”
Great insights! On the point of Porsche not really have a history with this, how much do you this Porche is actually putting work in since the car is a shared platform with the VW family?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #12
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Mercedes released the ML in 1998 while BMW X5 in 1999.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP45e View Post
Quote:
It's like Porsche is supplying a vehicle to compete in a segment it really doesn't have any history with and not what they do best. "The BMW X5 is like going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering their best steak. The Cayman feels like you are going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering the fish."
Great insights! On the point of Porsche not really have a history with this, how much do you this Porche is actually putting work in since the car is a shared platform with the VW family?
X5 shares the same CLAR platform from 2 series on up. Shared platform is quite common. The X5 is a better value, but you can option a Cayenne with features that are not available on an X5. Also, Cayenne comes will full leather across all lines, I believe only the X5M has full leather.

I owned a last gen Cayenne S and the fit and finish was really top notch. But to each his own. The X5 sells in much higher numbers because it is a better value - which is a huge credit to the BMW product team. Also the M50i and X5M easily beat Cayenne in drag racing…which are all the rage on YouTube now. So the perceived advantage of Porsche's sports focus is no longer true. However, Porsche offers lots of handling options with the Cayenne that greatly improve driving dynamics. The X5 is much more mainstream than Cayenne…
Appreciate 1
evodz127.00
      07-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
Highly recommend.
FWIW, I still haven't seen another X5 as well appointed as yours! Looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

I am a 45e owner and test drove the Cayenne e-hybrid yesterday, a few observations:

- Phev execution in my BMW is noticeably better than the Porsche. Coming to a stop in the Cayenne was a jerky experience, all the downshifts as the speed reduces were sending perceptible jolts to the whole car

- Position of the central screen felt wrong compared to the BMW's display angled toward the driver and the resolution of the back up camera was downright bad

- Classic Porsche pricing, for almost $90k, the car I drove had no keyless entry or blind spot warning

- This one is subjective but the Porsche v6 does not sound as good as the BMW inline six

- Porsche's steering felt a little more direct and conveyed a little more feedback

- Porsche had a little more combined legroom (front+rear) than my X5 but the a pillar felt more angled and front headroom felt more confined than the BMW

- Drive modes on the Porsche made more noticeable differences, steering felt significantly different between hybrid and sport plus and the little dial on the steering wheel is a quicker/easier way to change modes than the dash buttons in the BMW

My conclusion is that even if the cars were priced exactly the same for the same equipment, I would not trade in my 45e for an e-Hybrid. Maybe if the Cayenne was spec'ed with all the right options (pdcc, rear axle steering, air suspension etc.), it would have felt more special to drive spiritedly but the relatively basic Cayenne I drove felt underwhelming especially considering the price and the Porsche name.

Last edited by moodyhank82; 10-17-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
yanger24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
I am a 45e owner and test drove the Cayenne e-hybrid yesterday, a few observations:

- Phev execution in my BMW is noticeably better than the Porsche. Coming to a stop in the Cayenne was a jerky experience, all the downshifts as the speed reduces were sending perceptible jolts to the whole car

- Position of the central screen felt wrong compared to the BMW's display angled toward the driver and the resolution of the back up camera was downright bad

- Classic Porsche pricing, for almost $90k, the car I drove had no keyless entry or blind spot warning

- This one is subjective but the Porsche v6 does not sound as good as the BMW inline six

- Porsche's steering felt a little more direct and conveyed a little more feedback

- Porsche had a little more combined legroom (front+rear) than my X5 but the a pillar felt more angled and front headroom felt more confined than the BMW

- Drive modes on the Porsche made more noticeable differences, steering felt significantly different between hybrid and sport plus and the little dial on the steering wheel is a quicker/easier way to change modes than the dash buttons in the BMW

My conclusion is that even if the cars were priced exactly the same for the same equipment, I would not trade in my 45e for an e-Hybrid. Maybe if the Cayenne was spec'ed with all the right options (pdcc, rear axle steering, air suspension etc.), it would have felt more special to drive spiritedly but the relatively basic Cayenne I drove felt underwhelming especially considering the price and the Porsche name.
We cross shopped the 45e and e-hybrid as well. Ultimately, we chose the BMW because of value and the interior felt more modern (wife's preference). I would've like the faster 0-60 but also realize now the electric range from the BMW is superior to the Porsche. We would not have been able to log the 80-85% miles on electric we've driven based on the Porsche range.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #17
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilio View Post

Hands down the X5 with merino leather seats feels much more "special" than the Cayenne. The X5 properly equipped is more high end feeling in its materials used. It doesn't feel like BMW is holding anything back with the X5.
I also think the X5 properly equipped handles better and will put down a better number in the skid pad than the Cayenne. With what we see from the GLE, the Cayenne is the only competition for the X5 as both are designed for a sporting ride. The X5 50i M-Sport with its big V8TT gives it a huge advantage in sound and low end torque over the Cayenne S. The exhaust sound alone of the 50i gives it a alpha dog presence that confirms every time you start it. I get the same kind of charge as I do with my C4S when hearing it rev. I believe it will satisfy that "x" factor you are looking for.

Here is how I view the Cayenne and X5 in the grand scheme of euro SUV's. The BMW X5 is really the original German SUV that was designed to ride like a sports sedan. They are the inventor of the category and still the king at what it is. BMW is a master in the sport sedan world and extending that finesse to their SUV. It's a natural progression for BMW to be good with both.
The Cayenne was really more of a answer to what BMW did with the X5. BMW doesn't hold back in the design and evolution of the class they invented. Porsche on the other hand is a sports car company that holds the 911 as their grail vehicle. In the Porsche world the technology and performance is always targeted to the 911 and then the other vehicles under it are more of a tier 2 level within the brand. The Cayman/Boxster will never ever be let to evolve as good as they can be if it challenges the 911. This has been said many times on shows like the older Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson. He put it in a very easy way to understand when testing the Cayman when he said that he couldn't live with a vehicle that will always be held back to a second tier level within the brand. As good as it is, it will never be allowed to live up to its full potential. The Cayenne feels this way to me. It's like Porsche is supplying a vehicle to compete in a segment it really doesn't have any history with and not what they do best. "The BMW X5 is like going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering their best steak. The Cayman feels like you are going to a world class steak restaurant and ordering the fish."

Look at the level of details and materials used from the seat controls, lighted aluminum sills to the dead pedal. It's as upscale as you can get.

Couldn't agree more! Your X5 looks stunning from the inside. I used to own a Cayenne S. The M50i is a way better value in every respect. IMHO. Although the Cayenne Turbo GT seems like an incredible performance SUV.

With Porsche one is paying a significant premium for the brand name.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #18
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post

I went the other way, ordered a very well appointed 45e (all options) rejected it, and went with a much better appointed Cayenne E Hybrid (again custom ordered). If you add the upgraded suspension parts to the Cayenne, which BMW doesn't even offer on the 45e, the difference in driving is night and day. Cayenne was $115,160 as ordered, 45e was $82,600, even with the large price delta, I would order the Cayenne again. Averaging 35mpg for the 16 months I have had it, either in Hybrid mode or Sport mode, and I don't drive slow. I will keep cross shopping the two brands, but not really digging the new BMW design aesthetic.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #19
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I went the other way, ordered a very well appointed 45e (all options) rejected it, and went with a much better appointed Cayenne E Hybrid (again custom ordered). If you add the upgraded suspension parts to the Cayenne, which BMW doesn't even offer on the 45e, the difference in driving is night and day. Cayenne was $115,160 as ordered, 45e was $82,600, even with the large price delta, I would order the Cayenne again. Averaging 35mpg for the 16 months I have had it, either in Hybrid mode or Sport mode, and I don't drive slow. I will keep cross shopping the two brands, but not really digging the new BMW design aesthetic.
‘difference in driving is night and day’. Can you elaborate that? Just curious - these are SUVs weighed closed to 6k pounds. Also Cayenne’s range is less than 20 miles, half of 45e. My cost for 45e was 65k for a 82k vehicle. I can afford 120k, but the deal for 45e was too good to pass. Just want to know how much handling do I miss , by not spending this extra 50k…
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
Quote:
‘difference in driving is night and day’. Can you elaborate that? Just curious - these are SUVs weighed closed to 6k pounds. Also Cayenne’s range is less than 20 miles, half of 45e. My cost for 45e was 65k for a 82k vehicle. I can afford 120k, but the deal for 45e was too good to pass. Just want to know how much handling do I miss , by not spending this extra 50k…
The G05 is a floaty boat without DHP, which isn't even an option to add on the 45e. They Cayenne with PDCC can corner flat at 30mph, and is more comfortable in a straight line than the 45e. The '20 E Hybrid had the smaller 14.3 kW battery pack, which is what I have, and I regularly get 25 miles plus of range (neither the 45e nor E Hybrid are the most efficient in electric only, they are hybrids and do best in that mode). The '21 E Hybrid has a 17.1 kW battery and gets around 30 miles pure electric. I drove both extensively, custom ordered both, rejected the 45e because a 30% reduction in price wasn't worth giving up handling and interior room for. Honestly, the 45e is fine, but when spending even $82k, fine isn't really good enough. (This is my personal opinion, so not agreeing with me is fine)
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #21
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
The G05 is a floaty boat without DHP, which isn't even an option to add on the 45e. They Cayenne with PDCC can corner flat at 30mph, and is more comfortable in a straight line than the 45e. The '20 E Hybrid had the smaller 14.3 kW battery pack, which is what I have, and I regularly get 25 miles plus of range (neither the 45e nor E Hybrid are the most efficient in electric only, they are hybrids and do best in that mode). The '21 E Hybrid has a 17.1 kW battery and gets around 30 miles pure electric. I drove both extensively, custom ordered both, rejected the 45e because a 30% reduction in price wasn't worth giving up handling and interior room for. Honestly, the 45e is fine, but when spending even $82k, fine isn't really good enough. (This is my personal opinion, so not agreeing with me is fine)
E-Hybrid is a great SUV with one of the best handling - no question about it. But regarding the floaty boat comment - I know the 'boat' feeling in GLS/Q7 etc, but not in 45e - partly because the lower center of gravity (from the battery pack) and instant torque available (feels more nimble than my smaller X3). I understand people have different expectations w.r.t handling. For me, 45e at 65K cost (of 82k MSRP) exceeds all my expectations, except for the range. 40 miles battery range barely meets my needs to run errands in weekend - one of the main reasons I exclude Cayenne Hybrid from initial consideration. For 50K saved, I can get a nearly new M2 (or even model 3 performance) which easily beats any SUV in terms of handling.

Last edited by brave-heart; 10-17-2021 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
FCX52352.00
      10-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #22
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
Quote:
E-Hybrid is a great SUV with one of the best handling - no question about it. But regarding the floaty boat comment - I know the 'boat' feeling in GLS/Q7 etc, but not in 45e - partly because the lower center of gravity (from the battery pack) and instant torque available (feels more nimble than my smaller X3). I understand people have different expectations w.r.t handling. For me, 45e at 65K cost (of 82k MSRP) exceeds all my expectations, except for the range. 40 miles battery range barely meets my needs to run errands in weekend - one of the main reasons I exclude Cayenne Hybrid from initial consideration. For 50K saved, I can get a nearly new M2 (or even model 3 performance) which easily beats any SUV in terms of handling.
The 45e is an incredible value for money. Since one of my best friend got one, I've both driven it and ridden in it several times. The ride is indeed very comfortable and both air suspension and lower center of gravity give it a really excellent ride quality. I think the battery pack also helps reduce road noise as well. However, it does take longer than it should to charge. At 65K (what your paid); can't think of a better value right now.
Appreciate 0