01-12-2024, 01:02 PM   #133
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Damn this whole thread is triggered! Happy Friday!
lmfao. I can't believe I got into a EV thread. its fun to mostly troll. I still miss BGM from the still want an EV thread.

2035!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its coming !!!!!!!!!!11
Appreciate 3
xmanpro3160.00
Frosty780.00
chrisk03153.00
      01-12-2024, 03:02 PM   #134
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I'm sorry you exist.
Ditto
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 03:05 PM   #135
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
And truly not very bright.
But thinks he is. Those our the people my business partner and I always say are the most dangerous.
Appreciate 4
      01-12-2024, 09:05 PM   #136
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
What am I stereotyping? I'm not talking about a particular group of people, this is a global thing. I don't understand your point here, so if seatbelts aren't forced by law, don't you think it would make as giant uptick in fatalities?
we should just make more laws and we would have utopia.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 5
      01-13-2024, 12:18 AM   #137
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krids1229 View Post
Its hard to hear the message over all the whimpering and whining in here.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This happens every time BMW introduces a new generation of car. So much bemoaning that they always used to be better than what we have now, or what is coming in future generations.

Guess what. Change always happens, always will.

Don't like the future generations? Don't buy it

Think the last generation or two was better? Buy a used car.

Think you can do better? Start your own car company.

Go wring your hands, but the writing is on the wall. BEVs are here, and will continuing coming.

If you're so obsessed with your fossil fuels, propping up the oil industry, and dumping carbon into our shared planet, I'm sure you can buy a RAM truck and idle it somewhere.
LOL
      01-13-2024, 07:07 AM   #138
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
To create space for [the new facility], combustion engine manufacturing has been moved to Hams Hall in the UK and Steyr in Austria.

The switch to EV production in 2027 will end 75 years of ICE car production in BMW's home town.

Sad to think how many of those engine manufacturing jobs were moved to the UK and Austria. Probably a lot of disappointed families in Munich right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:25 AM   #139
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Sad to think how many of those engine manufacturing jobs were moved to the UK and Austria. Probably a lot of disappointed families in Munich right now.
Yeah disappointed that they now have to build EV’s instead
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:20 AM   #140
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
come on man, if you gunna call someone out for being illiterate as least spell it right

i am 31.

thanks for personally attacking me

you live in a vitreous world.

we look down on smokers and tell them geez put that cig out your killing yourself.

but we can't go to a fat person and say put that ice cream down your killing yourself.

i know this will cause you dissonance it probably already has since you already went to personnel insults like you typically do.

but hey im just too god damn stupid.

"When it doesn't force them to stop smoking, they do and kill themselves. You got the idea. Or maybe not. Probably not - and that's why you need to be forced.
That's why we humans choose a government and give them the right to regulate."

PLEASE government take my pizza away by force.

You know that was a typo, dishonesty starts there.
Probably you’re not ‘too god damn stupid’, and you know that ‘banning pizza’ has NOTHING to do with my argument.
You’re not illiterate or stupid; but cynical, and toxic… Which is way worst.
So whatever, troll someone else.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:22 AM   #141
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
we should just make more laws and we would have utopia.
We did make laws, and we’re living in a utopia relative to lawless times.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #142
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We did make laws, and we’re living in a utopia relative to lawless times.
Hmm….not so sure. Way back when you only had 3 concerns, one can I eat it, two will it eat me, three can I fuck it
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      01-13-2024, 11:45 AM   #143
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
We all saw it coming! End of an era!!
      01-13-2024, 12:03 PM   #144
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
You know that was a typo, dishonesty starts there.
Probably you’re not ‘too god damn stupid’, and you know that ‘banning pizza’ has NOTHING to do with my argument.
You’re not illiterate or stupid; but cynical, and toxic… Which is way worst.
So whatever, troll someone else.
worse
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-13-2024, 03:22 PM   #145
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
So many examples conveniently forgotten, and largely no one is held accountable for the disasters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala...iver_oil_spill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:31 PM   #146
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
So, your electric car might have a net-negative impact on carbon emissions. However, metal extraction is carbon-intensive, especially when miners don’t use clean energy.

That’s not all, though. The production of an EV battery weighing 500kg emits over 70% more carbon dioxide than a traditional car in Germany.

Overall, lithium extraction and production of electric car batteries contribute to the increase in global temperatures and unpredictable climatic conditions.

https://ecojungle.net/post/lithium-e...mental-impact/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:44 PM   #147
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
So, your electric car might have a net-negative impact on carbon emissions. However, metal extraction is carbon-intensive, especially when miners don’t use clean energy.

That’s not all, though. The production of an EV battery weighing 500kg emits over 70% more carbon dioxide than a traditional car in Germany.

Overall, lithium extraction and production of electric car batteries contribute to the increase in global temperatures and unpredictable climatic conditions.

https://ecojungle.net/post/lithium-e...mental-impact/
Not to mention that mining of lithium is mostly done in Australia, and the guys down under say that even with their best efforts to increase the supply of Lithium in the coming decade they will not be even close to meet the projected demand. Even with their maximum effort of expanding existing mines and opening new ones, there will not be enough Lithium to produce the batteries needed to power even 10% of all cars in the world in 10 years. The same goes for Chile which is the second largest miner of Lithium.

Furthermore, an elephant in the room is India. The biggest population in the world and fastest growing economy in the world. They will need hundreds of millions of cars in this century and they can only afford ICE cars and fossil fuels/nuclear to meet their fast growing energy needs. They will not bother with expensive green energy as they cannot afford it for at least 2 or 3 decades. Indians want a better life for them and their children, and no one can force them to limit their growth for the sake of ecology. With hundreds of millions of new ICE cars driving in India in this century, anyone thinking that EVs being driven in developed countries will make any difference in reducing global emmissions is delusional.

West should be investing heavily in nuclear energy and development of even cleaner and more efficient ICE engines instead of slowly killing their car manufacturers by forcefully pushing them to manufacture EVs that need expensive imported parts and raw materials produced and processed in China or other countries half a globe away. (Incidentally, this increases pollution in China and other mining countries even nore. But conveniently, we are not bothered much about that).

Already today we have diesel engines in BMWs (and other cars too) that meet Euro6D emission standard. These engines are equipped with EGRs and DPFs that eliminate so much NOx and other fine particles from the exhaust that the air coming out of the car is cleaner than the air being sucked into the engine in most German cities most of.the year. On top of that, CO2 levels for diesels are very low, especially relative to the engine load(in other words- compared to the car's speed). The most efficient engine to move cars on highway speeds by far is diesel. (especially in Europe when 150-160km/h(100mph) is perfectly normal crusing speed on most highways. EVs, on the other hand, are significantly less efficient as the speed increases. Their range drops drastically when driving above 120km/h. They spend much much more energy per travelled kilometer than diesel engines on highway speeds. And all of that additional energy EVs are spending on highways is rarely mentioned when talking about environmental impacts of EVs.

Last edited by Calamari; 01-14-2024 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 6
      01-13-2024, 10:15 PM   #148
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Its hard to hear the message over all the whimpering and whining in here.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This happens every time BMW introduces a new generation of car. So much bemoaning that they always used to be better than what we have now, or what is coming in future generations.

Guess what. Change always happens, always will.

Don't like the future generations? Don't buy it

Think the last generation or two was better? Buy a used car.

Think you can do better? Start your own car company.

Go wring your hands, but the writing is on the wall. BEVs are here, and will continuing coming.

If you're so obsessed with your fossil fuels, propping up the oil industry, and dumping carbon into our shared planet, I'm sure you can buy a RAM truck and idle it somewhere.
They like to complain that the fossil fuels are causing all the problems but it’s only about 18%. There’s a bigger contributor to that and it’s what we eat beef Contributes about 60% of methane . I think manufacturers are going to be in big trouble with EV . People who wanted a ev went out and bought a Tesla. They don’t want BMW or Mercedes. I foresee a lot of car companies going out of business. When that day comes, it will get narrow down to a select few . It’s like when you buy a new iPhone you don’t buy a knock off.
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50
      01-14-2024, 12:34 AM   #149
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Not to mention that mining of lithium is mostly done in Australia, and the guys down under say that even with their best efforts to increase the supply of Lithium in the coming decade they will not be even close to meet the projected demand. Even with their maximum effort of expanding existing mines and opening new ones, there will not be enough Lithium to produce the batteries needed to power even 10% of all cars in the world in 10 years. The same goes for Chile which is the second largest miner of Lithium.

Furthermore, an elephant in the room is India. The biggest population in the world and fastest growing economy in the world. They will need hundreds of millions of cars in this century and they can only afford ICE cars and fossil fuels/nuclear to meet their fast growing energy needs. They will not bother with expensive green energy as they cannot afford it for at least 2 or 3 decades. Indians want a better life for them and their children, and no one can force them to limit their growth for the sake of ecology. With hundreds of millions of new ICE cars driving in India in this century, anyone thinking that EVs being driven in developed countries will make any difference in reducing.global emmissions is delusional. West should be investing heavily in nuclear energy and development of even cleaner and more efficient ICE engines instead of killing their car manufacturers by forcefully pushing them to manufacture EVs that need expensive imported parts and raw materials produced and processed in China or other countries half a globe away. (Which also increases pollution in China and other mining countries even further. But conveniently, we are not bothered much about that).

Already today we have diesel engines in BMWs (and other cars too) that meet Euro6D emission standard. These engines are equipped with EGRs and DPFs that eliminate so much NOx and other fine particles from the exhaust that the air coming out of the car is cleaner than the air being sucked into the engine in most German cities most of.the year. On top of that, CO2 levels for diesels are very low, especially relative to the engine load(in other words- compared to the car's speed). The most efficient engine to move cars on highway speeds by far is diesel. (especially in Europe when 150-160km/h(100mph) is perfectly normal crusing speed on most highways. EVs, on the other hand, are significantly less efficient as the speed increases. Their range drops drastically when driving above 120km/h. They spend much much more energy per travelled kilometer than diesel engines on highway speeds. And all of that additional energy EVs are spending on highways is rarely mentioned when talking about environmental impacts of EVs.
This is one of the best posts regarding EVs I have read! I hope you don’t mind. I’m going to quote it and post it in the main EV thread.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-14-2024, 04:18 AM   #150
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is one of the best posts regarding EVs I have read! I hope you don’t mind. I’m going to quote it and post it in the main EV thread.
Sure. Please share the link to that thread.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 07:57 AM   #151
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
One guarantee, this will not go as planned. EV’s and the infrastructure required, is no where near ready as it stands today. The more EVs come out, the more I read and hear from colleagues who own them the burdens. In fact, when I was in Germany last week, I was offered a loaner BMW i3 but when they asked how far I was driving, they quickly recommended a diesel. The service rep said that to find an EV load point is difficult in Munich and the time required would be prohibitive for my journey. Stories of waiting 3 hours to charge, incomplete charges, fights who was in line, etc…. The unassuming public is about to find out what awaits.
Appreciate 4
Calamari208.50
Tobster3637.00
ham34085.50
      01-14-2024, 08:31 AM   #152
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post

Furthermore, an elephant in the room is India. The biggest population in the world and fastest growing economy in the world. They will need hundreds of millions of cars in this century and they can only afford ICE cars and fossil fuels/nuclear to meet their fast growing energy needs. They will not bother with expensive green energy as they cannot afford it for at least 2 or 3 decades. Indians want a better life for them and their children, and no one can force them to limit their growth for the sake of ecology. With hundreds of millions of new ICE cars driving in India in this century, anyone thinking that EVs being driven in developed countries will make any difference in reducing global emmissions is delusional.

West should be investing heavily in nuclear energy and development of even cleaner and more efficient ICE engines instead of slowly killing their car manufacturers by forcefully pushing them to manufacture EVs that need expensive imported parts and raw materials produced and processed in China or other countries half a globe away. (Incidentally, this increases pollution in China and other mining countries even nore. But conveniently, we are not bothered much about that).

How dare you burden ideologues with facts.
Appreciate 5
      01-14-2024, 06:39 PM   #153
stavstavcc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
How dare you burden ideologues with facts.
They look like made up facts tbh.

“They spend much much more energy per travelled kilometer than diesel engines on highway speeds”

Assuming equivalent cars, most energy spent at those speeds is to fight air resistance. What *produces* the energy has no impact on the energy needed to move the car. I.e. the energy that must be spent is exactly the same no matter if the car is powered by gas, electricity, steam or a rats running in wheels.

Source: elementary physics

Last edited by stavstavcc; 01-14-2024 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:01 PM   #154
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavstavcc View Post
They look like made up facts tbh.

“They spend much much more energy per travelled kilometer than diesel engines on highway speeds”

Assuming equivalent cars, most energy spent at those speeds is to fight air resistance. What *produces* the energy has no impact on the energy needed to move the car. I.e. the energy that must be spent is exactly the same no matter if the car is powered by gas, electricity, steam or a rats running in wheels.

Source: elementary physics
I agree. My statement, as written is not correct.

I meant to state that electric vehicles consume more energy at higher speeds because their efficiency drops with increase in speed. Main reason is that they usually have single speed transmission which means that electric motor revs higher and higher with the increase of speed which generates additional heat both in the motor and in the battery pack. Heat has a negative effect on efficiency of EV powertrain and battery pack. EVs are most efficient in city driving because of recuperative braking and minimal energy use when stationary. On top of that, heat is not a problem at lower speeds.

On the other hand, ICE cars are least efficient in low-speed city traffic, and are are most efficient at speed with diesel cars maintaining near peak efficiency at very high speeds. The reason is that modern diesel engines have max torque under 2000rpm which means that 8-speed automatic transmissions found on these cars keep the revs low at high speeds ensuring that engine works in the most efficient operating range at almost any speed.

One thing to mention is that high-speed range is a problem for electric cars because diesel fuel has around 25 times bigger energy density than Li-ion batteries. In other words, 1 kilogram of diesel fuel contains 25 times more stored energy compared to a Li-ion battery pack of the same weight. That's the reason why an ICE car with 60kg of diesel fuel can easily go for 1000kms on a single tank, while an EV with a several hundred kilograms heavy Li-ion battery pack can usually do 400kilometers on a good day despite the max efficiency of the electric motor of 95% compared to only 35% of the diesel engine.

Last edited by Calamari; 01-15-2024 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 4