BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2023, 03:03 PM   #1
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Ignition on (engine off) on 48v mild hybrid system

On older BMWs without mild hybrid system, I could just hit engine start button without depressing the brake pedal, and this would put the car in ignition on (engine off) mode where I can connect OBD2 scan tool to scan the car.

However, such mode does not seem to exist on LCI with the mild hybrid system (eg. pressing engine start button without brake does not seem to do anything).

How do I put the car in the mode where I can connect OBD2 scan tool to scan the car without starting the engine? Or does the LCI car automatically put the car in ignition on mode as soon as I unlock and open the door?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
On older BMWs without mild hybrid system, I could just hit engine start button without depressing the brake pedal, and this would put the car in ignition on (engine off) mode where I can connect OBD2 scan tool to scan the car.

However, such mode does not seem to exist on LCI with the mild hybrid system (eg. pressing engine start button without brake does not seem to do anything).

How do I put the car in the mode where I can connect OBD2 scan tool to scan the car without starting the engine? Or does the LCI car automatically put the car in ignition on mode as soon as I unlock and open the door?
Hit the Start button 3 times quickly without stepping on the brake. The car should enter Diagnostic Mode (You'll get a notice at the bottom of the primary display.)

You really want to be in Diagnostic Mode when scanning as it forces all modules on. For power savings reasons, modules not needed won't be powered up until they are needed.
parky1215572.50
      06-07-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Hit the Start button 3 times quickly without stepping on the brake. The car should enter Diagnostic Mode (You'll get a notice at the bottom of the primary display.)

You really want to be in Diagnostic Mode when scanning as it forces all modules on. For power savings reasons, modules not needed won't be powered up until they are needed.
Thank you for the tip!
Do I just press start button once again to exit the diagnostic mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
Thank you for the tip!
Do I just press start button once again to exit the diagnostic mode?
the only way I know to get out of Diagnostic Mode is to start the engine (brake pedal + Start button)
Appreciate 1
parky1215572.50