Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Is 3rd row still offered as an option on the X5?
Yes, on the 40i only. 10 months ago I called around and asked if it were available to order, and one dealer said no. They were wrong because I have one on order. It's configurable on the website.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #46
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-in-MA View Post
The best third row seats were in our old LR4. I'm 6'2" and could sit back there comfortably. That said, check out the Land Rover Discovery. It now has the new I6 engine and same tech upgrades as the Defender. Go with the R-Dynamic HSE model. (air suspension standard) Be sure to add tow pack, hi-low transfer case and locking differentials for amazing capability in any conditions. Also add 4-zone AC for third row comfort.
I wish either a) I could get over my fear of LR reliability issues or b) BMW would not have sold LR and made a BMW version of the Discovery .... or both.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 08:09 PM   #47
mbnc1
United_States
Rep
Drives: (On Order) 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
I wish either a) I could get over my fear of LR reliability issues or b) BMW would not have sold LR and made a BMW version of the Discovery .... or both.
I’m currently driving a 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE that I bought new. Honestly up to about 75k miles it was the most reliable car I’ve owned. No issues at all and only took it in once a year for its annual service. Sitting at 85k miles now and things are going downhill fast and are becoming absurdly expensive to fix. Combine that with our local dealership’s abysmal mess of a service department we figured it was time to go ahead and move on from LR ownership. Which led to my X5 order last week!
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #48
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnc1 View Post
I’m currently driving a 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE that I bought new. Honestly up to about 75k miles it was the most reliable car I’ve owned. No issues at all and only took it in once a year for its annual service. Sitting at 85k miles now and things are going downhill fast and are becoming absurdly expensive to fix. Combine that with our local dealership’s abysmal mess of a service department we figured it was time to go ahead and move on from LR ownership. Which led to my X5 order last week!
Glad you had a good experience. I have friends who have not... including breaking down on the side of the highway at 20k miles. Of course this is anecdotal, so I'd reference JD Power and CR who put LR at or near the bottom. Interesting summary of such things: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/land-ro...nce-nightmare/.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study

Last edited by Bimmerfun82; 01-01-2022 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: adding a link
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 07:42 AM   #49
Paul-in-MA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
One of my friends just picked up a Defender recently and it's super spacious and drives really well. Well worth checking that out as well if one needs space for trips and and such…
Coming from an LR4, our Defender does have more front and rear leg room, but the rear cargo area is far smaller. Just came back from a family ski vacation where I had to put food and beverages on top of the skis in the roof box. (At least the beverages stayed cold) The rear cargo area was packed to the headliner with 4 large duffle bags and 4 boot bags. Thankfully I ordered the clearview rearview mirror that shows the rear view image in the mirror using a camera on the back of the roof antenna.

If you need more rear cargo space or want third row seats in a Defender, the longer "130" model should be available to order later this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #50
Paul-in-MA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
^THIS!^ Our LR3 and LR4's were extremely reliable. Nearly flawless through 75K miles. At about 110K miles our last LR4 became expensive to maintain. Took it to 150K miles before replacing it with a new Defender, which has not had a single issue through one year and 16K miles. Impressive for an entirely new model. But going forward, I'm only keeping JLR products through the 50K warranty period.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #51
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm currently driving a 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE that I bought new. Honestly up to about 75k miles it was the most reliable car I've owned. No issues at all and only took it in once a year for its annual service. Sitting at 85k miles now and things are going downhill fast and are becoming absurdly expensive to fix. Combine that with our local dealership's abysmal mess of a service department we figured it was time to go ahead and move on from LR ownership. Which led to my X5 order last week!
Glad you had a good experience. I have friends who have not... including breaking down on the side of the highway at 20k miles. Of course this is anecdotal, so I'd reference JD Power and CR who put LR at or near the bottom. Interesting summary of such things: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/land-ro...nce-nightmare/.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study
Just for context and reality…

1. JD Power does not rate based on the cost per repair or severity or days the car was out of service due to an issue.

2. Also, while a BMW on average had 1.23 issues per car per year, the bottom ranked Land Rover had 2.2 problems per car per year. So overall, the difference isn't that big and shows mainly that ALL new cars are generally reliable.

I will say, that service experience is important and so far my BMW experience has been better than RR. Although neither have been really problematic and mainly small things…
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-02-2022, 10:21 AM   #52
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Just for context and reality…

1. JD Power does not rate based on the cost per repair or severity or days the car was out of service due to an issue.

2. Also, while a BMW on average had 1.23 issues per car per year, the bottom ranked Land Rover had 2.2 problems per car per year. So overall, the difference isn't that big and shows mainly that ALL new cars are generally reliable.

I will say, that service experience is important and so far my BMW experience has been better than RR. Although neither have been really problematic and mainly small things…
Agree with points 1 and 3, but I read the 2.2 problems per year as a fairly big number for a $80k+ vehicle. Also the commentary around drivetrain / axle problems is disappointing from LR.

Come to think of it, I've had 0 problems with any BMW I've owned which is kind of amazing. Knock on wood.

But with each Mercedes I've had significant problems. GL450 the entire head unit failed. E550 the car was in the shop for 6 weeks in year 2 for repeated seat/airbag problems. C class the sound system failed multiple times. All were under warranty. My dad's AMG's had issues, one E class the front air suspension / struts had to be replaced for $5k right when the car came out of warranty.

Audi also we've had problems - SQ7 engine had to be replaced after 3000 miles (Audi proactively identified build issues in one of the cylinders) and Q7 has had some build issues (small stuff, but still)...

We have family members who have had issues with their BMWs, all once the cars were out of warranty... mainly with transmission failures, but we've been fortunate. And BMW is definitely hit or miss sometimes. I remember the E39 developed carbon build up in the cylinder heads and the dealer offered $15k below blue book because BMW knew about it but wasn't honest about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #53
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
I searched for this topic a the right time, literally a day after your response lol. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I currently have an F15 50i m sport (no third row) and looking to either switch out my Wife's small SUV for the Q7. Ideally would have loved an X7, but still quite a premium on those, even CPO. Alternatively I definitely wouldn't have minded another X5 in the family ie G05 w/ 3rd row. We have an 18 month old, another on the way, plus both Grandmas involved. So definitely one adult will have to be in the third row when either my wife are driving (like her or myself.)

Hoping you can come back and give that update/comparison once you take delivery. I will gladly await it.
Got the car tonight, and it's perfect for us with 3 kids <8 y.o. Will provide some pics or a video this weekend!
Appreciate 2
S4CH49.00
Xtabi1701.50
      01-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #54
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Got the car tonight, and it's perfect for us with 3 kids <8 y.o. Will provide some pics or a video this weekend!
Ok here goes.
Q7
https://youtu.be/IrtNqmJth-k

X5
https://youtu.be/y30yDJjDIXs

Let me know what else you want to know. They are very similar and seem to have about the same amount of space. The Q7 might be a little wider. The space behind the rear seat has a few more inches in the Q7 for storage. The second row seats in the X5 are wider for the outboard seats so the middle is narrower. But the opening is wide enough for the kids to get through. Getting to the third row via the outboard seats is an electric procedure in the X5 and the seats don’t move up and forward like in the X7. I think if kids are >8 X7 is probably the way to go. Adults aren’t comfortable back there in either car.

FWIW the kids think the X5 is so much more comfortable. They also love the lounge roof and the ambient lighting and all the colors. The merino leather is soft and the seats are supportive.

Overall the X5 feels sportier and more techy and the screens feel more streamlined and are angled at the driver. The ability to control the passenger seat from the driver side is super helpful for adjusting for kids.

The Q7 seats are more level height-wise while the X5 second row is higher than the front or 3rd row.

Let me know what else might be helpful.
Appreciate 1
S4CH49.00
      01-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #55
Delrazdan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22X540i (ArcGre), 24X760i CBM

Quote:
Ok here goes.
Q7

X5

Let me know what else you want to know. They are very similar and seem to have about the same amount of space. The Q7 might be a little wider. The space behind the rear seat has a few more inches in the Q7 for storage. The second row seats in the X5 are wider for the outboard seats so the middle is narrower. But the opening is wide enough for the kids to get through. Getting to the third row via the outboard seats is an electric procedure in the X5 and the seats don’t move up and forward like in the X7. I think if kids are >8 X7 is probably the way to go. Adults aren’t comfortable back there in either car.

FWIW the kids think the X5 is so much more comfortable. They also love the lounge roof and the ambient lighting and all the colors. The merino leather is soft and the seats are supportive.

Overall the X5 feels sportier and more techy and the screens feel more streamlined and are angled at the driver. The ability to control the passenger seat from the driver side is super helpful for adjusting for kids.

The Q7 seats are more level height-wise while the X5 second row is higher than the front or 3rd row.

Let me know what else might be helpful.
I agree, if one can, X7 is the way to go for 3rd row seats although I schlepped those years of my life in Toyota Sienna mini van, and I don’t regret it one bit. It had sliding doors on both sides and captains chairs in 2nd row so getting in and out was great and there was still room for luggage. 3rd row in x7 is still cumbersome, so I wouldn’t do it for daily use, but once ina while if you need to cram that many people then it’s fine. Not a fan of captains chairs in x7, I find bench seat to be more comfortable. Of course it leaves impractical luggage space, I.e. don’t plan on going to shop at Costco if u r using all 3 rows.
Appreciate 2
S4CH49.00
      01-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #56
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrazdan View Post
I agree, if one can, X7 is the way to go for 3rd row seats although I schlepped those years of my life in Toyota Sienna mini van, and I don’t regret it one bit. It had sliding doors on both sides and captains chairs in 2nd row so getting in and out was great and there was still room for luggage. 3rd row in x7 is still cumbersome, so I wouldn’t do it for daily use, but once ina while if you need to cram that many people then it’s fine. Not a fan of captains chairs in x7, I find bench seat to be more comfortable. Of course it leaves impractical luggage space, I.e. don’t plan on going to shop at Costco if u r using all 3 rows.
We had a Honda Odyssey for a couple years, but I couldn't take it anymore!

Totally agree minivans are the best kid people and stuff haulers out there
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      01-10-2022, 11:35 AM   #57
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Ok had the car a few days. Couple things. I was wrong the seats can lift forward and up to allow entry into the 3rd row. It moves the front passenger seat forward so make sure it’s vacant. Also the second row child locks are manual but in the Audi they are electronically controlled which is really nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #58
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

3rd Row seat eliminates spare tire option

The current BMW configurator doesn't allow a factory spare tire if the 3rd row seat option is selected. I'm assuming that the 3rd row seat components encroach into the storage well. Is that correct? Thanks
      01-10-2022, 07:50 PM   #59
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
The current BMW configurator doesn't allow a factory spare tire if the 3rd row seat option is selected. I'm assuming that the 3rd row seat components encroach into the storage well. Is that correct? Thanks
Quote:
Correct. There is a little hatch opening that fits the storage cover; and possibly some tools. That's all. The seats take up the rest of that space. So run flats are a must.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:23 PM   #60
AAA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct. There is a little hatch opening that fits the storage cover; and possibly some tools. That's all. The seats take up the rest of that space. So run flats are a must.
I could be wrong but I believe it's actually the air suspension that prevents a spare tire. Same problem on 45e which only comes with air suspension and third row has never been an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:31 PM   #61
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I could be wrong but I believe it's actually the air suspension that prevents a spare tire. Same problem on 45e which only comes with air suspension and third row has never been an option.
The batteries take up the space in the 45e. Just looking at how the third row is designed, there's no room for a spare. In my 2012 I went without the spare and filled that space with a custom amp & sub, which sounded amazing
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #62
Coolhand92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4CH View Post
Having had three 5 series in a row, I am thinking that it may be time for something a little more rugged and with a third row for occasional use (once or twice a month).

I was thinking about an Audi Q7 however they don't lease well and I know the driving experience won't be as good as an X5.

So now I am thinking about the X5 with the third row option. Any thoughts from those of you that have the third row option? How useable is it? Is it ok for road trips? My kids are 9 and 5 so it would mostly be for them.

Also happy to hear from any one that has also had the Q7.
Audi Q7 should be compared to an X7. Its a much larger vehicle than the X5 and will handle similar to an X7. The Q7 will have more cargo capacity compared to a X5 with 3rd row in use. Either 3rd row is good for young kids or your least good friend
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #63
Coolhand92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
3rd row reduces the rear under cargo capacity hence no spare tire as the 3rd row folds into the floor where the spare would be.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #64
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

And 22" option would not be available

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke92 View Post
3rd row reduces the rear under cargo capacity hence no spare tire as the 3rd row folds into the floor where the spare would be.
And I noticed on the configurator, if you select the (excellent) 22" wheels, the 3rd row seat option would be deleted. ...Correct?
Attached Images

01-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #65
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4CH View Post
Having had three 5 series in a row, I am thinking that it may be time for something a little more rugged and with a third row for occasional use (once or twice a month).

I was thinking about an Audi Q7 however they don't lease well and I know the driving experience won't be as good as an X5.

So now I am thinking about the X5 with the third row option. Any thoughts from those of you that have the third row option? How useable is it? Is it ok for road trips? My kids are 9 and 5 so it would mostly be for them.

Also happy to hear from any one that has also had the Q7.
Audi Q7 should be compared to an X7. Its a much larger vehicle than the X5 and will handle similar to an X7. The Q7 will have more cargo capacity compared to a X5 with 3rd row in use. Either 3rd row is good for young kids or your least good friend
The Q7 is in-between the X5 and X7 size wise by measurements and by interior volume. The X7 is more like the GLS, and the biggest thing you notice is headroom. Q7 feels smaller than the X5 when I drive ours back to back, but it's not.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #66
Coolhand92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I noticed on the configurator, if you select the (excellent) 22" wheels, the 3rd row seat option would be deleted. ...Correct?
Because 22” are non run flats. So BMW requires a spare tire. See if the dealer can re-add the 3rd row.
Appreciate 0