BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wax/Sealant People Use

I’m curious what type of wax or paint sealant people use and the results they get?

I use to use Meguiars and Groits, but I’ve been using Chemical Guys recently (Jet Seal and their Carnuba Wax). Chemical Guys Jet Seal is probably the easiest to apply/use, and it does look nice after the initial application, but it doesn’t seem to last very long.

I’ve been thinking about trying these products:

Wolfgang Concours Series WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, 16 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGELUJE..._Zbp8EbW587Z2C

Chemical Guys WAC22916 HydroSlick SiO2 Ceramic Coating HyperWax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V25MZHV..._rcp8EbVCDT8XQ

What do you guys use? Anyone try any of the above?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I’m curious what type of wax or paint sealant people use and the results they get?

I use to use Meguiars and Groits, but I’ve been using Chemical Guys recently (Jet Seal and their Carnuba Wax). Chemical Guys Jet Seal is probably the easiest to apply/use, and it does look nice after the initial application, but it doesn’t seem to last very long.

Wolfgang Concours Series WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, 16 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGELUJE..._Zbp8EbW587Z2C

Chemical Guys WAC22916 HydroSlick SiO2 Ceramic Coating HyperWax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V25MZHV..._rcp8EbVCDT8XQ

I used Jetseal for a bit, but realized there is just better stuff on the market. There was no depth to the shine and it just looked like plastic to me. For Carnubas, I have used everything under the sun. LOL! I like Dodo Juice the best, but the longevity is awful. Only for a garage queen.

I have tried the CG SiO2. It looks good and slick in the beginning, but the durability is not near what other SiO2 offer. I am starting to think CG is not what they claim. Read the SiO2 description it sounds like a cheerleader session. Stuff like... we are the best and no one has ever done this and we have revolutionized the market stuff. The odd thing is they say that about every product.

I am currently using CQ UK 3.0 and after 2 months it looks like the day I applied it. The hydrophobic properties haven't changed and they are cool to see. Zero marring or micro-marring. I used it on the wheels too and it lowered the brake dust accumulation notably. Thus far, I am super pleased. If I get the 18 months of protection they say, this will be a no-brainer for reapplication on my truck
Appreciate 2
Frenetic477.50
themnmd1687.00
      06-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i

I'm a fan of JetSeal but as 130FeetDeep mentioned it isn't a "one and done" solution. It goes on and off with ease but it requires a layer of good wax to make things really pop.

A few weeks ago my son and I clayed his new Ford Ranger, applied JetSeal and then the next day applied Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. When I have more time I will post a pic but IMO it looked really good.
Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      06-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here it is:
Name:  Jakes Ranger.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  739.1 KB
Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      06-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogi View Post
I'm a fan of JetSeal but as 130FeetDeep mentioned it isn't a "one and done" solution. It goes on and off with ease but it requires a layer of good wax to make things really pop.

A few weeks ago my son and I clayed his new Ford Ranger, applied JetSeal and then the next day applied Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. When I have more time I will post a pic but IMO it looked really good.
I have gone the topper route, but the problem is the carnuba topper still only lasts a couple months at most, then you are back to the plastic look of the Jetseal 109. You should try the ceramics. The durability is ridiculous and the depth of shine is equivalent to high end carnubas.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
nnnnny
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I used Jetseal for a bit, but realized there is just better stuff on the market. There was no depth to the shine and it just looked like plastic to me. For Carnubas, I have used everything under the sun. LOL! I like Dodo Juice the best, but the longevity is awful. Only for a garage queen.

I have tried the CG SiO2. It looks good and slick in the beginning, but the durability is not near what other SiO2 offer. I am starting to think CG is not what they claim. Read the SiO2 description it sounds like a cheerleader session. Stuff like... we are the best and no one has ever done this and we have revolutionized the market stuff. The odd thing is they say that about every product.

I am currently using CQ UK 3.0 and after 2 months it looks like the day I applied it. The hydrophobic properties haven't changed and they are cool to see. Zero marring or micro-marring. I used it on the wheels too and it lowered the brake dust accumulation notably. Thus far, I am super pleased. If I get the 18 months of protection they say, this will be a no-brainer for reapplication on my truck
I use Jet Seal Polymer Paint Sealant as well with top 2 coats of Collinite 845.
2019 Land Rover Velar R-Dynamic
2018 Infiniti Q60S
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have gone the topper route, but the problem is the carnuba topper still only lasts a couple months at most, then you are back to the plastic look of the Jetseal 109. You should try the ceramics. The durability is ridiculous and the depth of shine is equivalent to high end carnubas.
I've actually been researching some of the newer ceramics. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogi View Post
I've actually been researching some of the newer ceramics. Any suggestions?
I spent a lot of time looking. I had never done a ceramic prior to this application. I read a lot about what was needed it got some new LED stand lights that have adjustable color temp. 5k is great for light and 6.5k for dark. Lighting is important so you don't get high spots.

I went with CQuartz UK 3.0. I chose it because of the reasonable flash time, easy on and off, 18 month durability, amazing hydrophobic properties, and the overall exceptional reviews online. It is also highly recommended for wheels. It is a good days worth of work, but worth it. If your correction is on point, then you will be VERY happy. After 2 months, it still looks like the day I applied it. I am very pleased thus far.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      06-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #10
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I spent a lot of time looking. I had never done a ceramic prior to this application. I read a lot about what was needed it got some new LED stand lights that have adjustable color temp. 5k is great for light and 6.5k for dark. Lighting is important so you don't get high spots.

I went with CQuartz UK 3.0. I chose it because of the reasonable flash time, easy on and off, 18 month durability, amazing hydrophobic properties, and the overall exceptional reviews online. It is also highly recommended for wheels. It is a good days worth of work, but worth it. If your correction is on point, then you will be VERY happy. After 2 months, it still looks like the day I applied it. I am very pleased thus far.
What kind of prep process do you have to do besides washing the car? My car is only 3 months old so paint should be pretty good.

Last edited by UltraDave; 06-26-2020 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
What kind of prep process do you have to do besides washing the car? My car is only 3 months old so paint so be pretty good.
I wish I could say your paint will be great, but it isn’t because dealers do not deliver corrected paint. Most of us correct the day we get it because of marring and micromarring. I started with a DECON wash to clean and strip. I used a orange LC for any notable scratches prior with Menzerna 106FF. Upped for one spot of etching. Then I did a white LC pad with Carpro Reflect High Gloss. That was enough to correct all of my vehicle.

After corrected, then I applied the CQ UK 3.0.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I wish I could say your paint will be great, but it isn’t because dealers do not deliver corrected paint. Most of us correct the day we get it because of marring and micromarring. I started with a DECON wash to clean and strip. I used a orange LC for any notable scratches prior with Menzerna 106FF. Upped for one spot of etching. Then I did a white LC pad with Carpro Reflect High Gloss. That was enough to correct all of my vehicle.

After corrected, then I applied the CQ UK 3.0.
My car was a special order so at least it wasn’t outside for waiting for buyers. Your process sounds like a lot of work. Did you do it by hand or did you use an orbital buffer? It gets dusty in AZ so I will probably have to keep it in a closed garage throughout the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #13
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
My car was a special order so at least it wasn’t outside for waiting for buyers. Your process sounds like a lot of work. Did you do it by hand or did you use an orbital buffer? It gets dusty in AZ so I will probably have to keep it in a closed garage throughout the process.
Mine was special order too and my last was as well. This isn't a BMW thing, but just a know problem with every dealer for every car. No one gives you a paint corrected car. They may wipe a rag on it at the factory or when your dealer is cleaning it for delivery. Most induce the marring and micromarring that way.

I don't use a orbital and don't suggest one. DA are great and there are a bunch of good options. I use a FLEX and have for a few years. DA just don't heat the paint up as much as a full orbital so they are quite a bit safer.

Lastly, 100% enclosed. You cannot do the multi-day coating if there is dust or you will re-introduce the marring or it will get stuck in the ceramic coating. I garaged mine for a couple of days while going through the process. It was a weekend job for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #14
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post

I too use ck 3.0 on my m340 and love it. Sure makes cleaning easier
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #15
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

If you're looking for a sealant the best I've found is still Jescar Power Lock, hands down. It has an outstanding combination of gloss and durability that can't be beat. I also own Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and while it has phenomenal gloss, it doesn't last very long. Currently I'm using Extreme Solutions Poly Seal on the X5, it doesn't even last as long as as DGPS 3.0 but it's extremely easy to apply so I don't mind refreshing it every 8 weeks or so.

I applied CQuartz UK 3.0 to my M340i 3 months ago. Beading on the hood has taken a bit of a hit already but after a recent wash I applied Car Pro Elixir which brought it right back. The rest of the car is beading like a champ. The only thing I will say about it is it's among the trickier coatings to apply so make sure above all that you have superb, bright, diffuse light when you're applying and removing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #16
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I just picked up Exoforma for my daily. Haven't tried it yet but It has good reviews online
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Name:  SmartSelect_20200717-230705_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  91.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #18
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

I'm old-school. I've been using Mother's California Gold pure Carnauba for...... 25 years I think?

Not that "with cleaner" crap they well in Walmart. the PURE Carnauba stuff.

It's not easy to apply, or quick.... It takes forever.

But the shine.... the thickness.. the depth.... is better than anything else I've ever tried.

There's probably something newr/better that I don't know about.... but this stuff has never disappointed me, so I stick with what I know.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05550...%2C229&sr=8-10
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #19
BMW Bold
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 6sp

Ive got Opti-Coat Pro+ on mine and seems to have come out pretty good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #20
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnny View Post
I use Jet Seal Polymer Paint Sealant as well with top 2 coats of Collinite 845.
Scrap Jet Seal and stick with 845. An amazing product and beats Jet Seal any day of the week.

For those wanting to branch out try Si02 based sprays. Easy to apply usually, good durability, and benefits of a full coating on a tamer scale.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #21
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Bold View Post
Ive got Opti-Coat Pro+ on mine and seems to have come out pretty good.
Looks super slick, is that tanzanite?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:26 AM   #22
BMW Bold
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 6sp

Yes it’s Tanzanite.
Appreciate 0