BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Stains on Merino leather

No it’s not the wrinkle gate this time...

While checking the leather with the car internal lighting at night, I noticed stains on the Merino leather.

This comes from a pre-delivery issue / misconception and a bad quality check. As I could see on pictures I took before delivery, stains were already there. But with the flash of the camera it’s like a punch in your face. I could get part of it replaced under warranty today but just discovered some more on the seat back before leaving the dealership... You can barely see these in day light. grrr

Did any of you face the same issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Before you take apart your car you should dry interior detailing spray. NextZett cockpit cleaner or BMW interior wipes.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15527.00
      01-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Before you take apart your car you should dry interior detailing spray. NextZett cockpit cleaner or BMW interior wipes.
^ This, and you didn't mention if you have already tried a good leather cleaner and preservative like Sonax. Certainly worth a try.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      01-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
^ This, and you didn't mention if you have already tried a good leather cleaner and preservative like Sonax. Certainly worth a try.
The car is new - just took delivery a month ago and didn't pay for that. When you have those type of stains, it should be covered. If I try to clean it myself, I risk to void the warranty, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

No. Cleaning your vehicle with proper interior cleaner does not void your warranty. Especially if it is a BMW product sold at the dealership or through BMW Lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

The discoloration reminds me of the residue that alcohol (from hand sanitizers) may leave behind.

Another option is to (politely) insist your dealership clean the leather with whichever product(s) they choose and will stand behind.

But like others have suggested, simplest solution is to clean it yourself (Leatherique is another reputable leather cleaner/conditioner not already mentioned.)
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
Paladin15527.00
      01-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

There's another long thread about this with other owners experiencing the same thing. I almost wonder if those stains were formed during the leather production or staining process either by poor quality control or just some natural leather anomaly, with some stains being more visible than others and/or become more apparent after some slight use and/or wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
You ought to complain about the stitching pulling apart in the corners as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #9
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
There's another long thread about this with other owners experiencing the same thing. I almost wonder if those stains were formed during the leather production or staining process either by poor quality control or just some natural leather anomaly, with some stains being more visible than others and/or become more apparent after some slight use and/or wear.
AlexG05be, here's one of the more recent threads on what looks like the same issue: Weird Leather Staining.

I think there was another thread on this as well...Given the breadth of the issue and how it looks, often times appearing at some point after taking delivery, it looks to me like it's a "processing" issue/defect with the leather and BMW got a bunch of seats that had the defect.
      01-21-2021, 12:47 AM   #10
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
AlexG05be, here's one of the more recent threads on what looks like the same issue: Weird Leather Staining.

I think there was another thread on this as well...Given the breadth of the issue and how it looks, often times appearing at some point after taking delivery, it looks to me like it's a "processing" issue/defect with the leather and BMW got a bunch of seats that had the defect.
Thanks for the info! This is what I thought as well. I’m returning to the dealership tomorrow and will check with them if they can fix it or replace it. If they replace I insisted on not getting wrinkled seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:42 AM   #11
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG05be View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post

Thanks for the info! This is what I thought as well. I'm returning to the dealership tomorrow and will check with them if they can fix it or replace it. If they replace I insisted on not getting wrinkled seats.
Hopefully the dealer should have been to rectify the issue for you.

Just a follow-up for any other members who has leather exhibiting similar issues.

I was going through BMW AIR and pulled a couple service bulletins:

SECOND ROW SEAT LEATHER CLOUDY/DISCOLORED
B52 02 21 [SI] April 2021

Complaint
Situation
Milky-white stains (discolorations) in the leather are observed in the second-row seat bottom, backrests and/or headrests. Refer to attachment for details.

Cause
Cause
An unfavorable leather tanning process can result with isolated cases of grease residue accumulating in the second-row seat leather surfaces.

The stains or discolorations are not harmful to health.

Measure
Model
F95  X5 M Sports Activity Vehicle
F96  X6 M Sports Activity Coupe
G05 X5  Sports Activity Vehicle
G06 X6  Sports Activity Coupe
G07 X7  Sports Activity Vehicle

Correction
Only for the specific issue identified in the attachment, remove the tanning process-related residue in the second-row seat leather as outlined in the PROCEDURE section below. 

This cleaning process can be repeated a second time during the same workshop visit if necessary.

If the vehicle returns because the stain formations reoccurred in the same locations that were previously cleaned, the affected leather seat covers can be exchanged on a case-by-case basis.

Procedure
A.  Proceed as follows.  
1)  Using a hot air blower held at 4" to 8" from the affected area, heat the leather surface with circular movements at a temperature above 160 °F/ 70 °C until the greasy residues disintegrate completely.

Ensure that the temperature of the affected area does not get warmer than 195 °F/ 90 °C as otherwise the leather can be damaged.

2)  Wipe the treated surface with a clean, absorbent cleaning cloth.

3)  Use a microfiber cloth ( yellow 6 pack,  part number 51 91 2 466 423 or blue 6 pack  P/N  51 91 2 466 842)  soaked either with leather cleaning foam (P/N 83 12 2 298 210) or with the leather and upholstery cleaner (P/N 83 12 5 A16 459), clean the surface with circular movements.

4)  Wipe the treated surface with a clean, absorbent cleaning cloth until it is dry.

5)  Apply a leather lotion (included in kit P/N 83 19 2 339 687 ) using a leather care cloth included in the kit until the surface has a uniform appearance.

The above-mentioned treatment steps 1 to 5 must be carried out directly one after another without interruption.

B.  If the stain formation occurs again during the same workshop visit, repeat the cleaning procedure. 

C.  If the stain formation occurs in the same location again, then the affected leather can be exchanged on a case by case basis. 

If you are replacing the leather upholstery  for returning stains, please submit an INFO ONLY TSARA case with pictures of the stained pieces. 

Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
Paladin15527.00
      05-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #12
cobus.grobler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M Sport 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X7  [0.00]
Hi everyone
For those who've had this issue, did the stains come back after treatment by the dealership.
I have a 2021 X7, all the stains came back, second time grey and greasy, rather than white, but very much back.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 04:53 AM   #13
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I have little to no faith in the dealership executing that process correctly and suspect that most Technicians do not follow those steps correctly or do not do it at all. The dealership most likely has the prep center simply wipe down the seats with OEM Leather cleaner but bill for the entire warranty job.
Appreciate 0