BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Parking Assistance Malfunction

Well, this message came up. I was attempting to park in my garage and I always hit the parking assistance button before I enter for the cameras and a Parking Assistance Malfunction came up in the main screen.

I should have taken a picture of it, but I acknowledged the error and it just went back to the Apple Car Play screen. The parking assistance button on the center console remained highlighted as if it were on but nothing was displayed and the proximity sensors weren't working.

Only has 2k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Well, this message came up. I was attempting to park in my garage and I always hit the parking assistance button before I enter for the cameras and a Parking Assistance Malfunction came up in the main screen.

I should have taken a picture of it, but I acknowledged the error and it just went back to the Apple Car Play screen. The parking assistance button on the center console remained highlighted as if it were on but nothing was displayed and the proximity sensors weren't working.

Only has 2k miles on it.
I got the same message that I believe you are referring to. It has happened 3 times now. X5 is at dealer for this and other issues. They updated the software to 11/2020.45 and state that it fixed the parking assistance error.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
I got the same message that I believe you are referring to. It has happened 3 times now. X5 is at dealer for this and other issues. They updated the software to 11/2020.45 and state that it fixed the parking assistance error.
I get this error all the time when I get my X7 washed at a touchless car wash. It comes on during the washing cycle. The error message remains on the screen when I drive away for about 30 seconds and then disappears. I've chalked this up as normal since the water jets are probably blocking the cameras and the radar temporarily.

The only other time I've seen this is when I was driving in a "TORRENTIAL" down pour of rain. That's only happened maybe two times.

Sounds like your error message randomly pops up even without any external weather conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #4
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I get this error all the time when I get my X7 washed at a touchless car wash. It comes on during the washing cycle. The error message remains on the screen when I drive away for about 30 seconds and then disappears. I've chalked this up as normal since the water jets are probably blocking the cameras and the radar temporarily.

The only other time I've seen this is when I was driving in a "TORRENTIAL" down pour of rain. That's only happened maybe two times.

Sounds like your error message randomly pops up even without any external weather conditions.
Yes, my message would pop up in clear weather conditions and when pressing the P button to turn front camera on when I park at work. It started about a week ago and I am questioning whether or not software update will actually fix this.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My message popped up under similar circumstances: clear weather and it hadn't rained in a few weeks prior to the event.

It hasn't come back for me, by the way.

What's strange to me at least is if it were related to debris on a proximity sensor, for example, then why would the camera not work? I personally don't believe it is debris related and something more hardware related that is just semi or intermittingly faulty. A common component that is necessary to operate the camera, sensors and/or the parking system itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
My message popped up under similar circumstances: clear weather and it hadn't rained in a few weeks prior to the event.

It hasn't come back for me, by the way.

What's strange to me at least is if it were related to debris on a proximity sensor, for example, then why would the camera not work? I personally don't believe it is debris related and something more hardware related that is just semi or intermittingly faulty. A common component that is necessary to operate the camera, sensors and/or the parking system itself.
I agree with this assessment of it being hardware related yet my dealer claims they recreated the issue, did a software update and it fixed the problem. Software bumped up to 11/2020.45. We will see if they were right once I pick the car up on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:24 AM   #7
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, and it turned out that I had a control module issue in the system. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came to a depth article which may be worth reading, search for "BMW parking assist malfunction problems on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0