12-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #133
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMD View Post
My wife has a Navigator and it is a fantastic vehicle. It is a little too big for me and won't fit in the garage at work. I considered an Aviator but it was essentially a scaled down Navigator and I wanted to feel like I was driving something different than my wife's car. If not for that it would have been a real contender vs the X5.

Pre-COVID I drove 5 colleagues 2 hrs each way on a business trip and they still rave about the wife's Nav!
Yeah if I was a chauffeur then I’d opt for something like an Escalade or Navigator because of their ridiculous size. I would be less concerned about quality since it would be mainly about shuffling clients around town.
If you drove your colleagues in an X7 I’m sure they’d be even more impressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #134
sailvi767
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95BMWM3(full Dinan) 2007 Z4MC

Something to think about. I don’t know anything about the OP’s accidents. He may have been sitting at a stop light both times. On the other hand if you have repeating accidents it might be time to reevaluate your driving style. A friend who has been rear ended several times tailgates aggressively. When you have a car with excellent brakes and tailgate you might be able to avoid hitting the guy in front of you but the guy behind you with bad brakes a worn tires is probably going to nail you. Increasing your following distance can go a long way to avoid getting rear ended.
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11091.00
KRS_SN13100.00
volodp193.50
      12-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #135
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Yeah if I was a chauffeur then I’d opt for something like an Escalade or Navigator because of their ridiculous size. I would be less concerned about quality since it would be mainly about shuffling clients around town.
If you drove your colleagues in an X7 I’m sure they’d be even more impressed.
The relative size of vehicles like the Escalade or Navigator may be "ridiculous" in your mind but not in the minds of the many folks who who have the need and or desire for this type of vehicle.
We have had an Escalade along with a couple Yukon Denalis and I can tell you that they are fantastic on many different levels.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #136
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
The relative size of vehicles like the Escalade or Navigator may be "ridiculous" in your mind but not in the minds of the many folks who who have the need and or desire for this type of vehicle.
We have had an Escalade along with a couple Yukon Denalis and I can tell you that they are fantastic on many different levels.
Good for you.
So is my toilet.
Appreciate 1
BigHunk269.50
      12-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #137
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

All the German SUVs in this segment are relatively safe but also expensive to repair. I'd also argue they mostly drive the same too. The X5 is the best in class if you aren't obsessed with the vehicle being particularly "fun" to drive. Cayenne is better in that area but is significantly more expensive especially to lease.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #138
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Just buy top of the line X5M and enjoy in life, plus it's much more safer to drive than basic model.
      12-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #139
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
All the German SUVs in this segment are relatively safe but also expensive to repair. I'd also argue they mostly drive the same too. The X5 is the best in class if you aren't obsessed with the vehicle being particularly "fun" to drive. Cayenne is better in that area but is significantly more expensive especially to lease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Just buy top of the line X5M and enjoy in life, plus it's much more safer to drive than basic model.
IMO an M Sport with DHP and good set of performance tires narrows the handling gap. I believe safety still largely depends on the drivers themselves, all the tech is there to augment drivers' abilities to the next level should they choose to use it.
      12-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #140
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Purchased a 2021 X6M-40i as the replacement

Well after looking at a lot of vehicles that were very nice but in my opinion behind in technology. I settled on another BMW....
actually looked at going back to the 7 Series but not enough discounts on them. Also no inventory.

But I didn't buy the X5-40i.... I went for the X6M 40i.... Hope that its a nice vehicle.

This one just arrived at the dealer. Had a Build date of 12/11/2020
Exterior Color
Carbon Black Metallic
Interior Color
Cognac

Included Packages & Options
M Sport Package
o M Sport Exhaust System
o Wheels: 20" x 9" M Star-Spoke Bi-Color
o Adaptive M Suspension
o Show All Package Items

Premium Package
o Remote Engine Start
o 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control
o Head-Up Display
o Show All Package Items

Parking Assistance Package
o Parking Assistant Plus
o Drive Recorder
o Active Park Distance Control
o Show All Package Items
Included Options
Illuminated Kidney Grille
Front & Rear Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering Wheel

The St. Louis area dealer was very aggressive and easy to deal with and basically gave me a very similar deal discount wise to what they did in November 2019.
The only additions to the order are winter mats and 20% tinting of the windows to match the rear window tint.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13100.00
TXSchnee1280.00
      12-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #141
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
Something to think about. I don’t know anything about the OP’s accidents. He may have been sitting at a stop light both times. On the other hand if you have repeating accidents it might be time to reevaluate your driving style. A friend who has been rear ended several times tailgates aggressively. When you have a car with excellent brakes and tailgate you might be able to avoid hitting the guy in front of you but the guy behind you with bad brakes a worn tires is probably going to nail you. Increasing your following distance can go a long way to avoid getting rear ended.
First time at a stop light waiting for it to change.....
2nd time Was stopped with turn signal on waiting for oncoming traffic to pass before turning.

Drivers were cited both times for inattentive driving and following too closely. the most recent one admitted to the officer that he had been looking at his cell phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #142
Benztir
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
After 7 pages of debates haha glad to hear you've got something you wanted
Congrats on the order!

I love the 7 series as well, but the loss of value as you walk out the dealership hurts. That said, if you love a car, you love a car and shouldn't care about its residual. Sorry you couldn't get a discount for it enough to make it a good buy for you.

Have fun with the X6!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #143
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Trying to Decide what to purchase since I have owned two BMW X5’s that both were rear ended / totaled 12 months apart from each other.
Interesting article which may explain why you've been getting rear ended...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ers-july-2020/
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #144
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Trying to Decide what to purchase since I have owned two BMW X5's that both were rear ended / totaled 12 months apart from each other.
Interesting article which may explain why you've been getting rear ended...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ers-july-2020/
Shocking the NHTSA hasn't addressed this yet.

Then again, they are very busy keeping anti-dazzle away from the US 😂
      01-22-2021, 07:53 PM   #145
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I think it might be in the forum somewhere, but the rear blinker color has been mentioned previously. What wasn't indicated in the R&T data was their data pool - amber tailights and signals tend to be on European cars, with a whole different Universe of driver training, highways and regulations. Amber signals may indeed reduce rear collisions, but really not possible to validate unless you use the same car on the same highways with the same drivers, and different colored lights. Just a for instance, in Europe obtaining a license requires in general the outlay of several hundred to several thousand dollars, passing comprehensive written and practical tests through a driving school, and some demonstrated level of experience. It could be argued that European drivers consequently have a higher level of training than Americans, and in my experience and opinion, many of them are in fact better drivers (in spite of the long-standing jokes: Spain - "Iron Matadors," Italy - "My car means nothing to me, and yours means less."). Americans die on the highway at more than twice the rate of Europeans. Not so funny. So not meant as a critique of any of the posters (I've seen more than one less than peer-reviewed "study" referencing taillights and safety), but a study just saying amber taillights result in fewer accidents means nothing statistically, in isolation. Rant off.

Last edited by Paladin1; 01-22-2021 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13100.00
      01-22-2021, 07:57 PM   #146
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

the same could be said about amber indicators or reflectors in the front corners of vehicles. in EU or ROW there are very few regions that utilize an amber reflector like NAR and they do not have an increase in t-bone or frontal collision. i think the article is more click-bait than anything credible. i would chalk it up to more distracted drivers / poor habits / poor training. in a world of many screens the one neglected the most is the windscreen.
Appreciate 3
Paladin15456.00
Fennario151.50
KRS_SN13100.00
      01-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #147
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post

Then again, they are very busy keeping anti-dazzle away from the US ��
The NHTSA, as well as other organizations, have been studying the effects of the turn signal color for many years.

Here is one study from 2008. In this one it didn't show an association between color and accidents while the previous one did.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...les/811050.pdf

Edit: Here is an NHTSA study from the following year showing a 5.3% reduction in accidents with amber rear turn signals.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/811115

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 01-22-2021 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #148
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

Then again, they are very busy keeping anti-dazzle away from the US ��
The NHTSA, as well as other organizations, have been studying the effects of the turn signal color for many years.

Here is one study from 2008. In this one it didn't show an association between color and accidents while the previous one did.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...les/811050.pdf

Edit: Here is an NHTSA study from the following year showing a 5.3% reduction in accidents with amber rear turn signals.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/811115
I'm sure they're fine people over at the NHTSA and just trying to do their jobs.

It was just a joke cause I'm just ruffled that it took this long to get the anti-dazzle legislation moving. As such, I take a jab at the NHTSA wherever possible.
      01-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #149
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I would get an Escalade. That's what I might get when my lease is up. I love the screens and augmented reality. Either a White or Satin Steel Sport Platinum with the V8.

Appreciate 1
jphcbpa299.50
      01-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #150
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I'm sure they're fine people over at the NHTSA and just trying to do their jobs.

It was just a joke cause I'm just ruffled that it took this long to get the anti-dazzle legislation moving. As such, I take a jab at the NHTSA wherever possible.
I figured you were joking around but thought I would put that info out there.

Last I saw they never took the vote in October like they were scheduled to. Not sure what their issue is with the anti-dazzle.
      01-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #151
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

I figured you were joking around but thought I would put that info out there.

Last I saw they never took the vote in October like they were scheduled to. Not sure what their issue is with the anti-dazzle.
Yeah, I didn't see any update on it either. Honestly, NHTSA is a joke. They're sitting on a 53 year old regulation as their basis.

They looked into HIDs some 20 years ago and the dug their heels in like a pack of asses in all matters of headlight/taillight technological advancements.

Really highlights the need for new blood in the agency but that's a political discussion for another forum.

For now, coding will have to do