BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

High frequency sound coming out ac area?? HELP???

Just wondering if others have the same noise. I get a very high pitch, radio signaly sound, when I first start my car. It disappears after a few minutes but it sounds as though my radio... but it isnt. Its like a high pitch mic sound or some it comes for 15 seconds and only on startup???

Has anyone else noticed?

Took to bmw and they checked all.....

Couldnt find an issue... got car back it does it sometimes and sometimes it doesnt

I relized with ac off, radio on 0 volume, no ac on just car on ... if you have a1 ears and put ur ear close to the digital ac temp lcd u can hear it lower... which is on and u hear it maybe itd the electronical system in the car or maybe its mine.... does anyone have same noise.... if someone can try it would be appericiated... here is 2 videos....

https://streamable.com/g1la7x

https://streamable.com/37gt1p
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Yep, I have it too and it also audible while driving. Not just the first 15 mins. Im super sensitive to high pitched sounds. My GF and other passengers can't hear it.

The one thing I can tell you is when I did the OTA update the other day, I sat in the car while it was completing and there 100% is a computer with a heatsink AND fan behind the AC digital temp lcd. The fan was on and blowing loud when the system was installing the remote update.

So the noise may be that fan or computer having coil whine.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

Wow any soultion

Any updates
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Yep, I have it too and it also audible while driving. Not just the first 15 mins. Im super sensitive to high pitched sounds. My GF and other passengers can't hear it.

The one thing I can tell you is when I did the OTA update the other day, I sat in the car while it was completing and there 100% is a computer with a heatsink AND fan behind the AC digital temp lcd. The fan was on and blowing loud when the system was installing the remote update.

So the noise may be that fan or computer having coil whine.
I've posted other threads about this. I, too, am very sensitive to high pitched sounds. The sound seems to emanate from either behind the center stack or the control module under the hood in front of the driver. The high pitched ringing/sound gets on the lines of the vehicle and I can even hear it coming out of the tweeters, albeit at a reduced volume. The dealer has stated this is normal as other X5s do it. They were able to bring in a module from Germany to help what was coming out of the tweeters but the overall noise from the dash remains. Last week I had a '21 loaner and the high pitched noise was actually worse, which really surprised me.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
I've posted other threads about this. I, too, am very sensitive to high pitched sounds. The sound seems to emanate from either behind the center stack or the control module under the hood in front of the driver. The high pitched ringing/sound gets on the lines of the vehicle and I can even hear it coming out of the tweeters, albeit at a reduced volume. The dealer has stated this is normal as other X5s do it. They were able to bring in a module from Germany to help what was coming out of the tweeters but the overall noise from the dash remains. Last week I had a '21 loaner and the high pitched noise was actually worse, which really surprised me.
Mine just comes from the center stack around the HVAC LCD display. No sound from tweeters or other speakers.

If I rest my fingers on the LCD display, the stop pretty much does away since Im blocking the direction of the sound. These high freq sounds are very narrow and weak, so easily blocked and avoided by turning you head.

If I drive with my head pointed forward I hear it. If i turn to the right or left, the sound goes away. Freaky.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

Quote:
Mine just comes from the center stack around the HVAC LCD display. No sound from tweeters or other speakers.

If I rest my fingers on the LCD display, the stop pretty much does away since Im blocking the direction of the sound. These high freq sounds are very narrow and weak, so easily blocked and avoided by turning you head.

If I drive with my head pointed forward I hear it. If i turn to the right or left, the sound goes away. Freaky.
Its been over a week since i talked to bmw customer service canada...and no response...
I am now wondering if this ia considered "defect" because not everyone is reporting this...and whether we can return / exchange the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:

When you're in a quiet area unlock the car, open the door, and put your ear up to the tweeter on the door. It's not as loud but it's there. Yes, high freq. sounds are very directional. I don't hear it as much when I drive but in the passenger seat it bothers me a lot, but if I turn my head it gets a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
When you're in a quiet area unlock the car, open the door, and put your ear up to the tweeter on the door. It's not as loud but it's there. Yes, high freq. sounds are very directional. I don't hear it as much when I drive but in the passenger seat it bothers me a lot, but if I turn my head it gets a lot better.
I did this last night in my garage. Absolutely zero noise from the tweeter on either side.

The noise, for me, is 100% from behind the HVAC screen. I can put a huge folder infront of the screen and move it back and forth- the sound will fade in and fade out since the folder blocks it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
Its been over a week since i talked to bmw customer service canada...and no response...
I am now wondering if this ia considered "defect" because not everyone is reporting this...and whether we can return / exchange the car...
I am in talks with my dealership to have service confirm the sound and possibly exchange the car if they have one that doesn't make the noise.

I only put 200 miles on my car so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #10
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am in talks with my dealership to have service confirm the sound and possibly exchange the car if they have one that doesn't make the noise.

I only put 200 miles on my car so far.
oh damn that is one cool dealership lol
my sales guys said it will be very difficult for my scenario...as the technitian found the the same noise in a demo X5...
and I already put like 600km on it lol....
I am so disappointed.

Well..lets see what happens...probably next year when the customer service people decide to work on the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
G05X5Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Yes, I experience this and have seen this issue reported a few times.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #12
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It seems like my issue kind of went away or comes and goes now. Its not as constant?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It seems like my issue kind of went away or comes and goes now. Its not as constant?
I feel like the noise is being emitted very directionality. If you move your head in the cabin, you'd notice that in some posotions you dont hear it.
But that is obviously not a solution to this..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #14
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
I feel like the noise is being emitted very directionality. If you move your head in the cabin, you'd notice that in some posotions you dont hear it.
But that is obviously not a solution to this..
Yes, is 100% positional. I still heard it today in certain positions quite easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

I find its a noise coming out the central air vents and it varies with engine speed.
If you close the vents off it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #16
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QF8 View Post
I find its a noise coming out the central air vents and it varies with engine speed.
If you close the vents off it goes away.
Yes, the noise is probably a computer behind those vents.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:23 AM   #17
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

Quote:
Yes, the noise is probably a computer behind those vents.
I think its coming from the Air Conditioner's fan.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      12-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #18
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

Is it an issue related to the fake engine noise piped into the cabin via the sound system?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #19
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno 27 View Post
Is it an issue related to the fake engine noise piped into the cabin via the sound system?
Could someone please try turning the fake sound off?!? You never know until you test.

Car>settings>general settings>Engine sound
      12-20-2020, 10:42 PM   #20
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Could someone please try turning the fake sound off?!? You never know until you test.

Car>settings>general settings>Engine sound
Which motor do you have? I don't believe this is an option on the 40i. From what I understand it doesn't have fake sound like the 45e and 50i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #21
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QF8 View Post
I think its coming from the Air Conditioner's fan.
No, the noise is there with the HVAC off. There is a computer behind the center stack, under the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #22
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, the noise is there with the HVAC off. There is a computer behind the center stack, under the dash.

I can confirm that the nose is still there with engine off or HVAC off.
Appreciate 0