BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
Kripster
Techie
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Brakes squeaking

Hearing some squeaking as I brake the car. Have about 10k miles in 10 months on it. I don't break hard when I drive. I'd be surprised if brakes are worn so soon. Just did my 1 year oil change service. Noise only appeared after the service which may be a coincidence. Thoughts on what the squeaking means?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
orthopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport LCi

Well, I had a similar problem, with my brakes squeaking at about 9000 kms, and when the car went in for it to be looked at, I was told that they had to clean the brakes as there was too much brake dust on it.

It seems to have resolved the problem.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
truth be told, I was a long standing Audi customer (11 years) and switched to BMW to avoid the squeaky brakes (3 Q7s and they all squeaked). say it ain't so!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripster View Post
Hearing some squeaking as I brake the car. Have about 10k miles in 10 months on it. I don't break hard when I drive. I'd be surprised if brakes are worn so soon. Just did my 1 year oil change service. Noise only appeared after the service which may be a coincidence. Thoughts on what the squeaking means?
Gentle breaking for long periods without any 'hard' braking can make the pads glaze, which then leads to squealing. I have had this on a few cars if I am just driving in high traffic areas for weeks with no spirited driving in between.

A good run with some hard braking can help, not like 'breaking in' type breaking, just a fairly aggressive drive usually resolves it.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #5
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Couple of factors at play with respect to squeaking brakes in general:

1. Brake Pad/Rotor selection. Certain compounds or pad/rotor combinations. Carbon Fiber brakes are notorious for squeaking until properly warmed up.

2. Rust/Dust build up. Rusty or dirty rotors can squeak until the surface is cleaned off by a couple of stops from highway speeds.

3. Improper bedding of pads and rotors. Certain pad/rotor combinations require break-in and bedding of the compounds to each other. No hard braking for the first couple of hundred miles followed by a quick series of hard but smooth/even deceleration from 70mph ->5mph (5-6 times to get the brakes red hot). This ensures proper pad to rotor contact. In general this typically applies to sport brakes which have a more aggressive pad and larger rotors to burnish.

4. Grit/pebble stuck between pad and rotor. Not good and will damage the rotor.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Do you have the M sport brakes? Those are made by brembo and have been notorious for squealing.

Its normal for them.

Its because of the massive amounts of brake dust they make.

Replace the pads to powerstop or R1 concepts and it should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #7
Kripster
Techie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Do you have the M sport brakes? Those are made by brembo and have been notorious for squealing.

Its normal for them.

Its because of the massive amounts of brake dust they make.

Replace the pads to powerstop or R1 concepts and it should be fine.
Yes I have M Sport brakes. Not sure what this means: "Replace the pads to powerstop or R1 concepts"
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #8
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Yes I have M Sport brakes. Not sure what this means: "Replace the pads to powerstop or R1 concepts"
replace your brembo pads with aftermarket pads that are quieter and produce less dust

They will stop about 95% as well as the brembos but your wheels wont be caked in dust nor will they squeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
Kripster
Techie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
Well, I had a similar problem, with my brakes squeaking at about 9000 kms, and when the car went in for it to be looked at, I was told that they had to clean the brakes as there was too much brake dust on it.

The dealer told me the same: brake dust cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

OFten, if you are in an area without traffic, at least one and maybe a couple hard stops will clean things off enough to quiet the brakes. This is more important with a PHEV or EV as with regen, you may not actually be using the brakes as much or as hard. Rust is a possibility, and if it's not pitted too deep, the same thing will fix it, otherwise, it may require new rotors.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #11
Kripster
Techie
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post

The dealer told me the same: brake dust cleaned.
Despite dealer saying they cleaned them they continue to squeak. Noise seems a little louder even. Notes on work receipt show they chamfered something and even tested after the work to confirm noise disappeared. Should I do some hard braking? Just live with it? Or schedule another visit with dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:05 PM   #12
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Quote:
Despite dealer saying they cleaned them they continue to squeak. Noise seems a little louder even. Notes on work receipt show they chamfered something and even tested after the work to confirm noise disappeared. Should I do some hard braking? Just live with it? Or schedule another visit with dealer?
Brakes on my X5M squeak like a wounded pig. I think is the nature of brembo brakes as someone else said, and the only real fix is to replace them. I decided to just live with the squeaking since it was a leased vehicle.
Appreciate 1