BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

G05 MY21 Door Ajar Warning Malfunction

I took the vehicle out of the garage this morning and experienced a weird whooshing sound coming from the left of the driver area. I also noticed frequent mild clicks every five minutes or so while I was driving. No warnings or alerts on the instrument cluster or the iDrive screen.

While driving, I unknowingly did a gentle elbow push to the door and realized that the door was not secure, it was kinda nudging. I then realized that the driver's side door was not completely closed and secured as it should have been. I stopped the vehicle and opened/closed the door, all of those symptoms went away.

The problem is, I was not getting any warning or alerts about the door not secured situation when I put the shift to drive mode in the beginning or while driving going up to about 50 mph.

I have an appointment with the BMW service department later this week. They say, the vehicle ideally should shift to park if you attempt to drive while the door is not secured.

I am wondering is this a normal behavior in BMW vehicles, especially G05 MY 20 or 21?

So far, I have been losing some settings in iDrive intermittently, and now this door issue. Not sure if all of this is connected somehow and may be an indication of a bug. I for some reason feel this is a reminiscence of the door soft-close feature that they removed from My21 but could not adjust the response of the sensor accordingly.

Would appreciate if any of you can please perform a quick test and update. I simulated the condition by sitting in the driver seat, and gently closing the door, not all the way secured, but just gently touching the frame. I put the shift in Drive mode and start driving. No alerts or warnings.

If I open the door all the way, I do get a door open picture in the instrument cluster. But nothing for this situation.

Last edited by ChiefOne; 01-21-2021 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
NightCrawler_
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
I took the vehicle out of the garage this morning and experienced a weird whooshing sound coming from the left of the driver area. I also noticed frequent mild clicks every five minutes or so while I was driving. No warnings or alerts on the instrument cluster or the iDrive screen.

While driving, I unknowingly did a gentle elbow push to the door and realized that the door was not secure, it was kinda nudging. I then realized that the driver's side door was not completely closed and secured as it should have been. I stopped the vehicle and opened/closed the door, all of those symptoms went away.

The problem is, I was not getting any warning or alerts about the door not secured situation when I put the shift to drive mode in the beginning or while driving going up to about 50 mph.

I have an appointment with the BMW service department later this week. They say, the vehicle ideally should shift to park if you attempt to drive while the door is not secured.

I am wondering is this a normal behavior in BMW vehicles, especially G05 MY 20 or 21?

So far, I have been losing some settings in iDrive intermittently, and now this door issue. Not sure if all of this is connected somehow and may be an indication of a bug. I for some reason feel this is a reminiscence of the door soft-close feature that they removed from My21 but could not adjust the response of the sensor accordingly.

Would appreciate if any of you can please perform a quick test and update. I simulated the condition by sitting in the driver seat, and gently closing the door, not all the way secured, but just gently touching the frame. I put the shift in Drive mode and start driving. No alerts or warnings.

If I open the door all the way, I do get a door open picture in the instrument cluster. But nothing for this situation.
I went out and tested this. I have a MY 21. My car does not behave like that. I tried as hard as I could to find a spot where the door wasn’t totally closed and the door ajar message would go out. It never did. With it at its farthest point, but not yet fully closed, I tried to shift into gear and drive. The car immediately put itself in park and a “secure vehicle from rolling” message came up on the dash. Only with the door fully closed did the door ajar go out.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #3
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCrawler_ View Post
I went out and tested this. I have a MY 21. My car does not behave like that. I tried as hard as I could to find a spot where the door wasn’t totally closed and the door ajar message would go out. It never did. With it at its farthest point, but not yet fully closed, I tried to shift into gear and drive. The car immediately put itself in park and a “secure vehicle from rolling” message came up on the dash. Only with the door fully closed did the door ajar go out.

Thanks, truly appreciated! This is what the service department was saying to expect as well. I am sure there is some sensor and/or software issue in my vehicle. Hope they fix it without dismantling it too much.