United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
I now have 600mi and can say unequivocally that my G05 40i Msport is a better ride than my '16 F15 35i with DHP. The engine clearly is an improvement, but the suspension and ride dynamics are a step above. I don't know what DHP on a 40i would add, but it can't be much and I wouldn't consider it a significant ROI from a ride improvement perspective.
It would help when you really push the car because of the electronic anti roll stabilization and sport differential otherwise if you don't most people wouldn't notice
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #24
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
I now have 600mi and can say unequivocally that my G05 40i Msport is a better ride than my '16 F15 35i with DHP. The engine clearly is an improvement, but the suspension and ride dynamics are a step above. I don't know what DHP on a 40i would add, but it can't be much and I wouldn't consider it a significant ROI from a ride improvement perspective.
It would help when you really push the car because of the electronic anti roll stabilization and sport differential otherwise if you don't most people wouldn't notice
Most likely one of the reasons why they didn't offer DHP on 40i. Other was not enough USA F15 35i sales with DHP to justify the offer. Majority of X5 consumers wouldn't know the difference.

Though they could have just offered it to get new sales data. It IS on same production line, LOL.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Most likely one of the reasons why they didn't offer DHP on 40i. Other was not enough USA F15 35i sales with DHP to justify the offer. Majority of X5 consumers wouldn't know the difference.

Though they could have just offered it to get new sales data. It IS on same production line, LOL.
You're right, most people wouldn't notice at all. The car needs to be pushed pretty hard for any of those things to really shine
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #26
Voltron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Quote:
Thanks doc. Looks like I will need to try the 40i msport.

How does IAS change the feel? Worth it?

Just checked the configurator— looks like you have to get IAS with the air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Quote:
Thanks doc. Looks like I will need to try the 40i msport.

How does IAS change the feel? Worth it?

Just checked the configurator— looks like you have to get IAS with the air suspension?
IAS is noticable. When I first drove with IAS and tapped the gas too hard while turning around low speed it felt like the rear end was sliding out except it wasn't. At high speeds lane changes feel very stable. there's a learning curve with IAS, I'm glad my car has the option
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #28
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah my dealer had said they never ordered DHP because folks didn't know what it was
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #29
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

DHP - Putting all those features in package makes it tough to explain let alone demo to people. Also Expensive.
I wish they had all the features a la cart - like Porsche

I did not take the package because i do not like active steering (personal preference) But I would gladly pay for M dif. I think the differential should be on all the M packages

To answer the question of the OP - Regular M suspension is great even without DHP. Put it this way i never thought I would buy an SUV after driving M cars fro the past 20 years. This set up made me buy one.

Of course it has limitations:
It under steers even with square set up, you have to gas it to throw the back out - but it will come out and will drift (fun in the snow)

Car is heavy and weight has to be managed so i have to calm myself every time i switch from driving 440 or M cars.
But for 6000 pounds it is very impressive
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #30
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
DHP - Putting all those features in package makes it tough to explain let alone demo to people. Also Expensive.

I did not take the package because i do not like active steering (personal preference) But I would gladly pay for M dif. I think the differential should be on all the M packages

To answer the question of the OP - Regular M suspension is great even without DHP. Put it this way i never thought I would buy an SUV after driving M cars fro the past 20 years. This set up made me buy one.

It under steers even with square set up, you have to gas it to throw the back out - but it will come out and will drift (fun in the snow)

Car is heavy and weight has to be managed so i have to calm myself every time i switch from driving 440 or M cars.
6000lbs? the 50i is ~5194lbs and body control is very good with the DHP mainly due to the electronic anti roll stabilization. I haven't pushed the car hard yet but I'm sure the M diff will help with udnersteer. BMWs AWD system is basically RWD and the fronts kick in once the back end starts to slide, at least that's how my M40i drove
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #31
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Quote:

6000lbs? the 50i is ~5194lbs and body control is very good with the DHP mainly due to the electronic anti roll stabilization. I haven't pushed the car hard yet but I'm sure the M diff will help with udnersteer. BMWs AWD system is basically RWD and the fronts kick in once the back end starts to slide, at least that's how my M40i drove
I only drove on my summer performance tires (22s) for 200 miles and noticed it handled in an amazing way just like my previous 2016 X5M...have hd winter tires for almost 2 months (also changed settings in iDrive to winter tires) and the handling has gone to hell since...is this normal due to the narrow tires and changing the iDrive setting? I'm just worried that when I put my performance tires in a month or 6 weeks the handling will still be off...any idea?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #32
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I only drove on my summer performance tires (22s) for 200 miles and noticed it handled in an amazing way just like my previous 2016 X5M...have hd winter tires for almost 2 months (also changed settings in iDrive to winter tires) and the handling has gone to hell since...is this normal due to the narrow tires and changing the iDrive setting? I'm just worried that when I put my performance tires in a month or 6 weeks the handling will still be off...any idea?
The tires you're using aren't staggered if I had to guess. The stickiness and width of tires can change how the car handles as can the camber/alignment. These affect wheel geometry therefore the handling. Was anything realigned while swapped wheels? Normally you're supposed to do one when changing sets even if you go into iDrive but it's not a huge deal.

My car rides on 21" summers which are staggered and handles well. I don't see any reason why yours suddenly wouldn't going back to factory 22" wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #33
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The tires you're using aren't staggered if I had to guess. The stickiness and width of tires can change how the car handles as can the camber/alignment. These affect wheel geometry therefore the handling. Was anything realigned while swapped wheels? Normally you're supposed to do one when changing sets even if you go into iDrive but it's not a huge deal.

My car rides on 21" summers which are staggered and handles well. I don't see any reason why yours suddenly wouldn't going back to factory 22" wheels
No staggering on winter wheels...no alignment done when I installed winter ones (I did the install myself in my garage) dealer said no need for alignment...can't wait till mid March or so to switch back.. thx
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #34
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No staggering on winter wheels...no alignment done when I installed winter ones (I did the install myself in my garage) dealer said no need for alignment...can't wait till mid March or so to switch back.. thx
You should be fine, if not is like to know because that would be odd
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #35
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What kind of winter tires did you install?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #36
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bridgestone blizzak
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #37
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bridgestone blizzak
Based on what you are experiencing, I am quite sure you are feeling this from the tires. Switching from ultra high performance summers to effectively what are touring winter tires is a major downgrade and I'm surprised that so many folks here on the board are getting the blizzaks. They are amazing in snow tire but from a handling standpoint, I think the blizzaks along with other similar tires like the Michelin X-Ice are not the type of tires that should be installed on this ~5000lb beast. The lower speed rating along with the softer sidewall are the root cause of what you are experiencing.

I learnt my lesson on my X3 when I first had X-Ice installed and later switched to pilot alpin, which returned that summer like handling. I recall with the X-Ice the steering light, floaty, the car was wobbly and not sharp. If you have m sport with variable sport steering, the feeling is exaggerated as the steering is more sensitive. There was also a lot of body roll on turns and Less grip on dry pavement.

With the pilot alpin on my X5, I the difference from the summer pirelli is very subtle.

But then again I could be completely wrong and it's all in my head lol
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5894.50
salfeet84309.00
      02-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #38
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
You're right, most people wouldn't notice at all. The car needs to be pushed pretty hard for any of those things to really shine
The first thing I noticed from my F16 with 2VP (DHP without rear air suspension) was steering. It gave me more direct feel of steering, it also removed the center dead spot and significantly improved steering weight.

The second thing was suspension, there were no body roll even in comfort mode thanks to active anti-roll. However, the back seats were jumpy.

Things like torque vectoring is only noticed when you push the car hard in turns. For me, the biggest benefits of DHP is how it enhanced steering feel. Not sure how steering feels in G05 with and without DHP.

In my opinions, you need to tick every performance option to make it drive like a BMW lately.
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50
      02-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #39
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post
The first thing I noticed from my F16 with 2VP (DHP without rear air suspension) was steering. It gave me more direct feel of steering, it also removed the center dead spot and significantly improved steering weight.

The second thing was suspension, there were no body roll even in comfort mode thanks to active anti-roll. However, the back seats were jumpy.

Things like torque vectoring is only noticed when you push the car hard in turns. For me, the biggest benefits of DHP is how it enhanced steering feel. Not sure how steering feels in G05 with and without DHP.

In my opinions, you need to tick every performance option to make it drive like a BMW lately.
100% agree with you. Its unfortunate that DHP and M Differential is only available on the 50i. However, I read a couple of posts from members stating that even without these 2 options and just having the M adaptive suspension over the Air, the G05 is better than the F15 with DHP. I never owned a F15 but I came from a F25 with M suspension and I can tell you that my X5 with M adaptive and IAS has much less body roll than my F25 and the steering is unbelievably good..no dead spot and direct steering feel. I know some will argue that the Air is still good but in my lengthy test drives comparing the 2, the Air handles like a boat and I found the steering feel to be very very different. If you want performance, go M adaptive, for comfort go Air.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:41 AM   #40
munich67
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Yep-same opinion here. Coming from the F15 with DHP and air suspension (only on the rears) the new DHP on the 50D would be the way to go. In the smaller models (30D) the "normal" M is comfortable enough-especially with the smaller tires like 20 in summer or 19 in winter. With air suspension kids and me had signs of car sickness-not used to it-despite the old has it as well in the back. Unfortunately DHP was not a available for the smaller models.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #41
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post
Quote:

I drove a few G05's without the DHP. they handle surprisingly well, the DHP simply makes everything better. I wish we could get anti roll stabilization + the M Sport Differential with the air suspension but otherwise I'm happy
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #42
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Driving both, you have to push way beyond what most would feel comfortable to feel the DHP over just M adjustable suspension. Handeling is great for a performance SUV with either set-up. Both set ups feel like you are driving a proper sport sedan and not a suv.
Appreciate 2
Nick M.39.00
bichoo280.50
      02-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #43
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Driving both, you have to push way beyond what most would feel comfortable to feel the DHP over just M adjustable suspension. Handeling is great for a performance SUV with either set-up. Both set ups feel like you are driving a proper sport sedan and not a suv.
Pushing the X5 is fun! I haven't pushed it as hard as I did my X3 yet but will when it warms up. Summer tires + moderate cold = shitty time.

I can feel the sport differential working as I power through corners
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #44
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Pushing the X5 is fun! I haven't pushed it as hard as I did my X3 yet but will when it warms up. Summer tires + moderate cold = shitty time.

I can feel the sport differential working as I power through corners
I live on top of a mountain and it’s a twisty road home. 600 feet elevation change in 2 miles. The X5 is by far the flattest riding SUV I have ever driven home. I am doing speeds in the corners I would never be doing in other SUV’s. The low end torque of the V8TT in the corners rips you out effortlessly going up hill. I am going to go through tires fast.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-19-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0