02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Need a New Laptop, Student + Gaming

Hello,

I'll make it simple. Dell Studio 1558, i7 Q720@1.60Ghz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Drive, Radeon HD 5470, 2 years old, out of warranty. It's kaput. The thing freezes for no reason anymore and I'm forced to do a hard shut down; one time it froze during start-up and the computer shut itself off. Today in a 3 hours period it froze twice while watching Netflix, once while on Facebook, and once when I had the lid closed in idle. I can't deal with it anymore, I quit gaming because of it and now this problem is conflicting with my studies which just sends me up the wall!

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Because of geographical locations I have to go with a my laptop from either CostCo or Best Buy. My budget is about $1.1k, my parents are paying since this is crucial to my education. I am looking for a laptop that I can use for my classes and play WoW and SWTOR. I am not looking for a high end rig that will run 120fps with graphics on high.

My dad's friends, my dad's friends are into gaming such as Flight Sim and that, at work recommend either an Alienware or Asus. I've also looked at Toshibas, Sony VAIOs, and regular Dells with upgrades. He does not want to buy an HP because of his past experience with them. I'm looking at approximately 15" laptops since I have to take it to class, also a number pad would be helpful for Excell and Access.

Any help would be much appreciated, I have a few papers that are coming up so I need this to be resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
JZBDCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

There I just did all the work for you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...&skuId=4566495
2012 BMW M3 Coupe JZB/Fox Red DCT ZCP. Vorsteiner Double Sided Carbon Fiber CSL Boot Lid. Paint Match Grills, Side markers, Reflectors. Carbon Fiber Splitters. Lux Angel Eyes. Custom Rear Section Exhaust with valves. Next mod: Valentine 1
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a240reef View Post
There I just did all the work for you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...&skuId=4566495
I passed over that one while looking because of the size and weight but I do like the specs.

I found this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+G...=1218454383768

Which I feel is better for my needs
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
BenġrTheBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I have an ASIA G60x 3.4ghz I7 260m w/2 120g SSD. It is amazing and was only 1k. ASIA makes every hardware component for Dell, ACER, Sony, Toshiba and such. So buying ASUS is basically cutting out the middle man giving you AMAZING quality for the best price.
Appreciate 0