BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I haven’t driven it since Monday and the battery under the hood has been hooked up to a Battery Tender Plus since Tuesday evening. My husband checked the voltage (It’s voltage, correct?) after the Battery Tender showed it’s fully charged and it was at 13.1. Hooking it back up after a few minutes, the Battery Tender started charging again because the charge was below 80%.
That’s actually nothing to be alarmed with. The way the battery tender works is as soon as you plug it in again it automatically goes to a full charging mode and then after a few minutes will probably switch to trickle charge. I have seen mine do this with many of my vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Minnie40.50
      01-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #24
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

It's gonna do that as the end charge voltage on lead acid batteries is higher than the resting voltage. I would still take it to the dealer so they can do a 300+ amp load test on the battery which will tell them if it's good or bad. My guess is it's probably good.
Appreciate 1
Minnie40.50
      01-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #25
Minnie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M-Sport; X3

I took the car to the dealership this morning and they replaced the battery because it was defective.
Now I can finally start driving after owning it for 4 weeks
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy13243.50
lumpydog690.50
      01-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #26
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Minnie - that's great to hear.
A properly designed vehicle should not drain a battery in 2, 4 or more weeks and not require battery chargers to be connected.
I admire the patience of the others on this forum who are charging their batteries - but this should not be required.
Appreciate 2
Minnie40.50
bandersen587.00
      01-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #27
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
Minnie - that's great to hear.
A properly designed vehicle should not drain a battery in 2, 4 or more weeks and not require battery chargers to be connected.
I admire the patience of the others on this forum who are charging their batteries - but this should not be required.
It's not a bmw only thing. My MIL has the same issue as she hardly drives her RX350 as she only uses it when visiting grandkids. She's gone through 4 batteries in 3 years as she constantly drains it. My brothers MDX does the same thing as he only drives 3 miles to work. They both won't use battery tenders...

Thanks for the heads up Minnie as I'll be bringing a battery charger with me when I get tint, nanocoat and PPF applied so the installers don't kill mine.
Appreciate 1
Minnie40.50
      01-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #28
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

I'm going through the same situation as Minnie. Dropped my car off for ppf, ceramic coating, and tint on Tuesday, got a warning from BMW Connected App Wednesday night saying Replace Battery and Start engine, battery is low.

Picked up the car this morning, drove it for 30 miles, everything seems to be working fine except the "Replace Battery" message would not go away. I'm taking it in next Wednesday. The dealership rep I spoke with wouldn't commit to saying it'll be covered under warranty and to just check with my service agent when I drop it off.

Also, it's worth noting that when the battery is low the car shuts off navigation, remote access, and communication. I wasn't able to locate my vehicle nor send any lock/ unlock commands to the car via app, that goes for the 3d view as well.

And lastly, the air suspension automatically raises the car to the highest setting and could not be lowered until the car was driven for a while and there's some juice back in the battery.
Appreciate 1
Minnie40.50
      01-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #29
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
My G05 had a "replace battery" message on it the first time I saw it before I bought it. When I picked it up, the message was gone, they said they all come that way.
When the tech did the PDI before you took delivery, that will erase the "replace battery" message you saw.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #30
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I received the weird battery message this morning - forget what it said, something about defective or maybe replace, it said convenience features may be limited but indicated it didn't need to be addressed immediately. First time it has happend (1200 miles on the car), car is driven daily, about 30 miles round trip and is stored in a heated garage, so no reason for the battery to be low from sitting or short tripping. Will see if it still complains after todays usage and book an appointment I guess if needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #31
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
How often do you use the battery tender?
All the time. I dont drive my X5 everyday so as soon as I pull in, I plug it in. I do the same with my 911 and even my truck. I have had batteries in my Harley last over 7 years by doing this practice. The parasitic loss from new vehicles on batteries is much worse with our new ultra high tech electronics. The rule is, if you let your car sit for more than 3 days, it would be beneficial for you to use a battery tender to keep your battery healthy and last a very long time. Your car will start in 2 weeks without a battery tender but its hard on batteries to keep depleting it this much.

You can get a Battery Tender Jr from Amazon for under $30. In BMW world that is practically free for what it does.
Quote:
Quote:
How often do you use the battery tender?
All the time. I dont drive my X5 everyday so as soon as I pull in, I plug it in. I do the same with my 911 and even my truck. I have had batteries in my Harley last over 7 years by doing this practice. The parasitic loss from new vehicles on batteries is much worse with our new ultra high tech electronics. The rule is, if you let your car sit for more than 3 days, it would be beneficial for you to use a battery tender to keep your battery healthy and last a very long time. Your car will start in 2 weeks without a battery tender but its hard on batteries to keep depleting it this much.

You can get a Battery Tender Jr from Amazon for under $30. In BMW world that is practically free for what it does.
Completely unrelated, do you own your 911? If yes, does it cost you $$$$ in maintenance. Looking at 2016 911 with 28,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Completely unrelated, do you own your 911? If yes, does it cost you $$$$ in maintenance. Looking at 2016 911 with 28,000 miles.
I do. Own all outright. I have owned at least one or more 911's for over 30 years now. Porsche 911's have been one of the least expensive vehicle to own in my fleet. They just dont need or ask for much. Change oil and regular minor maintenance and thats it. Corvettes, Vipers had more maintenance issues regarding warranty work. They are the only domestic vehicles I have owned with my 911s.

Ferrari was a fickle vehicle that required constant attention and that was just regular maintenance. Anyone that has minor issue with a BMW needs to get a real education with Ferrari ownership.

I chuckle when I read "My$70k BMW should never have these issues...." I will give a 30 year life experience with high end automobiles. The more you pay, the more issues you will have and money doesn't insulate you from vehicle problems. That said, Porsche 911 is as trouble free as you will find in a serious performance vehicle.

Audi RS4, S8, etc.were very good but not as bullet proof than any 911 I have owned. Todays vehicle is a new animal with these advance electronics so I think the days of not being dealer dependent are over.

Best rock solid 911's I have owned were mid to late 80's air cooled 911/930 as they are so simple to run and fix. They will be cheaper than any modern vehicle to maintain. The best modern driving 911 for performance and upkeep cost would be the 996/997. These are modern enough to have great AC and rock solid electronics but not so advanced they need firmware updates. The 996/997 were when Porsche started to charge for every little option so there is a fast difference between optioned 911s. Get a loaded full leather, every optioned one and they are positively opulent with alcantara headliners and leather dash, etc.. A base model 996/997 looks cheap in comparison and their market prices reflect this.

IMO, The 911 is solid enough that I would buy one preowned super clean. You also avoid the Porsche 50 pages of options of price gouging. It becomes a slippery slope with Porsche ordering. Try to get a manual as it has become the holy grail by enthusiast and will command more money in the future.

A bit OT on a BMW forum but I hope this helps.

A pic of one of my cars internationally featured in the "German Dream car" series of posters and calendars. I do alot of concours competition and teach a detailing class through PCA. That kinda snowballed into sponsorships from automobile detailing products that featured some of my vehicles in advertisements so some of these might look familiar.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-30-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
I do. Own all outright. I have owned at least one or more 911's for over 30 years now. Porsche 911's have been one of the least expensive vehicle to own in my fleet. They just dont need or ask for much. Change oil and regular minor maintenance and thats it. Corvettes, Vipers had more maintenance issues regarding warranty work. They are the only domestic vehicles I have owned with my 911s.

Ferrari was a fickle vehicle that required constant attention and that was just regular maintenance. Anyone that has minor issue with a BMW needs to get a real education with Ferrari ownership.

I chuckle when I read "My$70k BMW should never have these issues...." I will give a 30 year life experience with high end automobiles. The more you pay, the more issues you will have and money doesn't insulate you from vehicle problems. That said, Porsche 911 is as trouble free as you will find in a serious performance vehicle.

Audi RS4, S8, etc.were very good but not as bullet proof than any 911 I have owned. Todays vehicle is a new animal with these advance electronics so I think the days of not being dealer dependent are over.

Best rock solid 911's I have owned were mid to late 80's air cooled 911/930 as they are so simple to run and fix. They will be cheaper than any modern vehicle to maintain. The best modern driving 911 for performance and upkeep cost would be the 996/997. These are modern enough to have great AC and rock solid electronics but not so advanced they need firmware updates. The 996/997 were when Porsche started to charge for every little option so there is a fast difference between optioned 911s. Get a loaded full leather, every optioned one and they are positively opulent with alcantara headliners and leather dash, etc.. A base model 996/997 looks cheap in comparison and their market prices reflect this.

IMO, The 911 is solid enough that I would buy one preowned super clean. You also avoid the Porsche 50 pages of options of price gouging. It becomes a slippery slope with Porsche ordering. Try to get a manual as it has become the holy grail by enthusiast and will command more money in the future.

A pic of one of my cars internationally featured in the "German Dream car" series of posters and calendars. I do alot of concours competition and teach a detailing class through PCA. That kinda snowballed into sponsorships from automobile detailing products that featured some of my vehicles in advertisements so some of these might look familiar.

Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/...derlandnet.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #34
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

The C7 Corvette has the battery issue. About 3-4 weeks without being driven will often result in a dead battery. Most owners, myself included, use a maintainer whenever it sits for more than a couple days. Corvette even offers a rebranded CTEK battery maintainer as a factory option. There is an outlet in the trunk designed specifically to keep the battery fully charged.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #35
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
The C7 Corvette has the battery issue. About 3-4 weeks without being driven will often result in a dead battery. Most owners, myself included, use a maintainer whenever it sits for more than a couple days. Corvette even offers a rebranded CTEK battery maintainer as a factory option. There is an outlet in the trunk designed specifically to keep the battery fully charged.
Mine doesn't sit for more than 12 hours ever and is complaining, on my 3 series it can sit for a week or 2 at a time so is alway son a battery maintainer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #36
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I see there is a setting in the connected app for battery usage, ‘standard’ and ‘lower’?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #37
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
I see there is a setting in the connected app for battery usage, ‘standard’ and ‘lower’?
Interesting will look at that
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:54 AM   #38
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Interesting will look at that
My guess is it’s for the phone battery, I imagine constant monitoring of the car will have an impact on phone batteries.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #39
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Old thread, but if the G05 really does have an option to use a lithium battery, as mentioned earlier in this thread, you need to ensure you're using the proper battery tender that supports lithium charging. Common issue on F8x M3/4s with lithium batteries.
      04-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Old thread, but if the G05 really does have an option to use a lithium battery, as mentioned earlier in this thread, you need to ensure you're using the proper battery tender that supports lithium charging. Common issue on F8x M3/4s with lithium batteries.
Not needed, the charging terminals are connected to the AGM battery. The lithium battery can not be charged.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #41
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With all of the electronics in today's vehicles, it's not like in the olden days where when you shut the key off, literally, there was no battery draw.

Today's BMW have the cellular connection, the alarm system, the remote access receiver, and various other monitoring devices running almost constantly. Yes, they do go into low power mode if you do not start the vehicle up after a number of days, but then, it can lose some 'memory' of things it was trying to preserve.

If you don't drive your vehicle often, or you only do short trips, especially in the winter where the electrical load can be significantly more, you'll never get the battery recharged while driving, and be on a slippery slope for longevity. With the seat heaters, rear window defroster, exterior mirror heaters, steering wheel heater, blower going into high speed to help defrost and warm the vehicle, plus, recovering from cranking the cold motor, and the load on the battery is huge...it takes some time to get it back to full.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #42
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
May help to set your iDrive to shut everything down when you turn off the car and open the door. I forget what its called, but it’s not hard to find it in the menus.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:57 AM   #43
LM50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M50i

Just got my M50i front battery replaced at 200 miles.. Car was getting PPF/ceramic/Tints for 3 weeks. Shop drained the battery completely but car drove and started up just fine. Wasn’t covered under warranty. Dealership was able to see the data on the car and found it was caused by improper care. Luckily the shop covered the replacement which was $600. The rear would’ve been $800 if needed but wasn’t the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #44
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM50i View Post
Luckily the shop covered the replacement which was $600. The rear would’ve been $800 if needed but wasn’t the case.
$800 for a simple AGM battery? Wow...
Appreciate 0