BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2023, 12:50 PM   #1
Scott_Oakville
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

2021 G05 40i Msport CPO Purchase, thoughts after 2weeks

Traded in the 2018 F15 Msport 35d for a 2021 G05 40i Msport, carbon black, on black. While I very much like the truck, and I feel the deal I scored in this difficult climate was exceptional, some of my concerns after two-weeks of driving:

- I'm used to Comfort seats, this one has Sports seats. I'm 6'2, about 230lbs. It's taking some getting used to, and on some days I actually feel that these seats force me to maintain better posture .. on other days I just can't find a comfortable position. Something odd I noticed; when I come out of the gym and I'm fully stretched I feel like these seats are actually superior to the Comforts. However, on days where I've been sitting at a desk all day it's near painful to drive for extended periods.

- I'm missing Harman Kardon sound on this one, the HIFI set up is beyond horrible. After researching, I've ordered a Audiotec Fischer Match8 to be installed by a local shop who is familiar with this upgrade. At first I didn't believe that better power + tuning would correct much on it's own, however after playing around with an EQ on my phone I've got proof of concept that indeed it should. Night/Day even with simply dropping the mids and correcting the depth - the system wakes up just on that alone. I will update once I have that installed.

- Disappointed with the lack of USB, and 12V connections. I hate a mess of wires all over and would typically use the center console 12V to power multiple devices where a cable could be concealed as it came out of the console. Let alone there's no 12V outlet in the console, even plugging into the single USB connection is a hassle given there's no give on the armrest doors to open/close with a cable coming out. I know what BMW wants .. for me to use wireless Android Auto / Car Play, and leave the phone on the wireless charger. That's not realistic in my case. I've ordered the product below and plan to plug into the rear seat outlet, while leaving the hub in the console.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDZ6V1Y4...roduct_details

- Car is equipped with the 20inch, non staggered all season setup. After years of having a staggered setup, lower profiles, etc I'm good with the more comfy, and cost effective ride. HOWEVER I'm experiencing something very disturbing with what I would call "dift", and "ping pong". The best I can describe it; feels like I'm constantly driving on a windy day - even though it's not windy. Car pulls to the right, and left regardless of road conditions. And with the lane assist on, it gets almost dangerous with the constant ping-pong of being tossed around. It's more exaggerated at highway speeds; you have to be very conscious of where the truck is even on straightaways. I've already had a couple of near incidents. In searching, I see I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue on a G05. I've booked the truck in for service, and we'll see what they say - this dealership seems very eager to fix the issue. Hopefully it's something simple (alignment, tire defect, etc), however I haven't found a thread yet discussing the issue where the owner found resolution.

Assuming the drift can be fixed, I very much like the truck. Interior is a huge upgrade from the F15, and the power is awesome. I think overtime I'll come to appreciate the Sport seats, and maybe even prefer them over comfort. I'm pretty confident I was using the comfort seats in ways that were most likely unhealthy for my posture.

I'll post pictures of her on the next wash.

Look forward to any comments / questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 02:50 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Oakville View Post
Traded in the 2018 F15 Msport 35d for a 2021 G05 40i Msport, carbon black, on black. While I very much like the truck, and I feel the deal I scored in this difficult climate was exceptional, some of my concerns after two-weeks of driving:.
The lane wandering you're referring to was just posted the other day here, good reading for you since you have it too. --> https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2022959

I have the same setup as you, tires/wheels, and no wandering whatsoever and I use all the drivers assistance features. Turn all your drivers assistance features off, does it still wander? Could be an alignment issue or even over inflation of your tires, I set my pressure to the sticker on the drivers door jam. I have driven a car with over inflated tires and it was very squirrelly indeed. When you go down a straight road, is your steering wheel centered?

I was disappointed as well that there wasn't a power outlet in the center console but I am able to have a USB cable plugged into it and exiting out the front of the armrests in their closed position. Mine was the typical Apple USB charging cable so its pretty thin.

In terms of seat comfort, your story reminds me of when we went to a mattress store and told the sales person we have had a Tempur-Pedic for quite some years and was asking how long we should expect them to last before possibly needing a new one. He said, they last a very long time but people change over time and it's probably our backs that changed and not the mattress! didn't like hearing that
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

The driving symptoms you describe sounds like an alignment issue--let's hope it is!
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #4
ejayk
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07, 2020 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
The driving symptoms you describe sounds like an alignment issue--let's hope it is!
I agree. My ‘20 40i on square 20” m sport wheels never experienced what OP described throughout 35k miles. Car felt even more centered on DAP on windy days. I hope alignment fixes the issue for you!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 03:21 PM   #5
Scott_Oakville
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

Yes, I had gone through that other thread re drift steering. My situation is pretty much identical thus far. I will reach out to the OP from that thread.

The car drifts with DA on, or off. With it on, it's simply a fight b/c of how often I'm hitting the lanes. Been driving BMW's, many X5's for 25yrs, never experienced anything like this.

In my F15 I was able to have a cable come out of the side of the console. The console in the G05 will only allow me to have it coming out of the middle where there's a gap (unsightly), otherwise I'll be fighting with it to open the doors. Horrible design. I don't think a slim, or flat cable is going to make a difference, there's just not enough room b/c of the design.

In my early 30s I had horrible back issues that were sciatic nerve related. Took me a couple years of physio to figure out a specific stretch to alleviate it - it would come and go after I learned the correct techniques. Once I sold my 330 with sport seats, it went away permanently. I really hope these seats in this G05 don't kick that problem up again .. I'm in my 50s now, I would prefer not revisiting that pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The lane wandering you're referring to was just posted the other day here, good reading for you since you have it too. --> https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2022959

I have the same setup as you, tires/wheels, and no wandering whatsoever and I use all the drivers assistance features. Turn all your drivers assistance features off, does it still wander? Could be an alignment issue or even over inflation of your tires, I set my pressure to the sticker on the drivers door jam. I have driven a car with over inflated tires and it was very squirrelly indeed. When you go down a straight road, is your steering wheel centered?

I was disappointed as well that there wasn't a power outlet in the center console but I am able to have a USB cable plugged into it and exiting out the front of the armrests in their closed position. Mine was the typical Apple USB charging cable so its pretty thin.

In terms of seat comfort, your story reminds me of when we went to a mattress store and told the sales person we have had a Tempur-Pedic for quite some years and was asking how long we should expect them to last before possibly needing a new one. He said, they last a very long time but people change over time and it's probably our backs that changed and not the mattress! didn't like hearing that
Appreciate 0