BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-08-2023, 03:55 PM   #89
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
please clarify how you're able to use the Watch with DK+ "like a key fob".

1) how do you lock/unlock doors? where do you place the Watch face when doing so?
2) how do you start the vehicle with only the Watch?
3) what model/series Watch do you have?
The "Plus" part is what makes the difference--the new version uses Ultra Wideband to increase the range so it doesn't need to make contact with anything to function.
      06-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #90
Bhuvi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 and 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
please clarify how you're able to use the Watch with DK+ "like a key fob".

1) how do you lock/unlock doors? where do you place the Watch face when doing so?
2) how do you start the vehicle with only the Watch?
3) what model/series Watch do you have?

1) I think it unlocks/locks from ~10 feet. I have not measured it precisely. As soon as I get close to my garage door it unlocks and vice versa.
2) You just start normally with the start button. Don't have to do anything with the watch.
3) I have apple watch 7 series

Lastly you can sync your digital key/plus (watch or phone) with your idrive profile so it knows its you when you enter.

Honestly the Digital key plus is a great feature. I never carry the key fob anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 08:49 PM   #91
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
The "Plus" part is what makes the difference--the new version uses Ultra Wideband to increase the range so it doesn't need to make contact with anything to function.
thanks, but while i'm already aware of the UWB use in DK+, i was more interested in how the Watch actually works and if it indeed behaves differently than with regular DK (not Plus), meaning
1) must place Watch on driver's door handle to lock and unlock
2) must place Watch on charging tray to start vehicle

Last edited by nZtiZia; 06-08-2023 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #92
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
thanks, but while i'm already aware of the UWB use in DK+, i was more interested in how the Watch actually works and if it indeed behaves differently than with regular DK (not Plus), meaning
As long as your Watch supports UWB (Series 6 and later) the DK+ feature would work the same as with a phone that has UWB.
      06-09-2023, 11:32 AM   #93
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
As long as your Watch supports UWB (Series 6 and later) the DK+ feature would work the same as with a phone that has UWB.
that is pretty convenient!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #94
zsap
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2023)

Quote:
i was more interested in how the Watch actually works and if it indeed behaves differently than with regular DK (not Plus), meaning
About starting the car, your watch needs to be just close to the tray at the start moment. After starting your car, you can take away the watch.

Unfortunately, position you need to take to use this functionality makes this whole DK thing useless for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 06:20 PM   #95
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsap View Post
Quote:
i was more interested in how the Watch actually works and if it indeed behaves differently than with regular DK (not Plus), meaning
About starting the car, your watch needs to be just close to the tray at the start moment. After starting your car, you can take away the watch.

Unfortunately, position you need to take to use this functionality makes this whole DK thing useless for me.
see, that doesn’t make sense. what you described sounds like regular DK, not the new DK+. with DK+, there shouldn’t be a need to be in close proximity to a sensor; that’s what DK does now, which I’m aware of
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 06:31 PM   #96
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
see, that doesn’t make sense. what you described sounds like regular DK, not the new DK+. with DK+, there shouldn’t be a need to be in close proximity to a sensor; that’s what DK does now, which I’m aware of
Exactly, the previous poster must be referring to the pre-‘24 models. The “Plus” part of DK+ indicates the addition of UWB—the limitation was never on the device (iPhone vs Watch) but rather on the car simply supporting the protocol.
      06-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #97
coolcat0304
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Vehicles which support Digital Key Plus (i.e. X5 LCI) have 2 remote control receivers in the interior and 4 remote control receivers in the exterior. All receivers are compatible with Bluetooth and UWB.

To locate the position of the Digital Key Plus, a process called trilateration is used, where the distance of the signal up to 3 receivers are used to measure the radii. The error of margin is approximately one centimeter.

This means there is no need to be in a specific position to start the car.

For vehicles which have Digital Key, NFC is used to authenticate and open the doors. Starting a car requires placing the device on a wireless charger located within the car. This might pose a bit of a problem with the Apple Watch.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #98
Bhuvi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 and 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
You need a DK+ compatible vehicle and UWB compatible device to get this function. I don’t take off my match for my X5 LCI. When I need to get in my 2021 X7 the watch doesn’t work the same way. Hope it’s clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #99
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuvi View Post
You need a DK+ compatible vehicle and UWB compatible device to get this function. I don’t take off my match for my X5 LCI. When I need to get in my 2021 X7 the watch doesn’t work the same way. Hope it’s clear.
that’s a great convenience feature!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 12:01 PM   #100
CHRISPSA-1
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 30d xdrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michachael View Post
I'd love a Keycard, and I think my BMW supports it, but it doesn't exist in Europe apparently. I called BMW Hotline and also local dealers, they either never heard of a "key card" or they confirmed that it's only in the US... Is this true? Can't I just order a key card from abroad and active it in my BMW?
My CY 2022 BMW X6 has keycard (CYPRUS EUROPE)
Appreciate 1
bbari23.00
      06-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #101
zsap
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2023)

Quote:
I'm sorry. Probably it was because I'm not an English native and I misunderstood your post.

Yes, I was referring to DK thinking that you ask how to deal with the AW inside. Generally, when I was looking for information about AW in X5 before my car delivery, people were mentioning AW only to unlock the car - and that's the reason I thought you are asking about this.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 05:38 PM   #102
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
I'm trying to setup Digital Key on my phone (Samsung S22 Ultra). However when I open Samsung Wallet on my phone, it says that my device isn't compatible with Samsung Wallet. is there any way around this?

Added. It also says in the playstore that Samsung Wallet isn't available in your country. (Ireland)...
Appreciate 0