Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 428i, 2021 X5

Loving My New Stealth Hitch

Name:  IMG_6881.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  1.37 MB

Loving my new Stealth Hitch. Where is it you say? Invisible, all underneath the bumper. Pricy but well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Looks great! Or at least I assume it does under the bumper.

I'm thinking about getting the Stealth Hitch, did you do the install by yourself?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

What is pros and cons of this vs factory tow hitch option at $550?
I know the factory option would delete the kick-to-open feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Maximus07
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
I don't know how it is in the USA but the European models have the factory stealth tow hitch and still get the kick to open option.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus07 View Post
I don't know how it is in the USA but the European models have the factory stealth tow hitch and still get the kick to open option.
Unfortunately not the case in the U.S. I ordered without the tow hitch because I wanted to keep the kick to open.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Looks great! Or at least I assume it does under the bumper.

I'm thinking about getting the Stealth Hitch, did you do the install by yourself?
Oh no. I am short on patience and there is no way that I would have not damaged the car. I looked at the directions on line and it said it takes about 2.5 hours to install. It would take me two days.
Appreciate 1
bandersen550.00
      07-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
Therealmatzaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

I got a stealth hitch added to my 50i. I looked into doing it myself considering I was pretty handy and Ive done a few hitches before. Man, let a pro do it. The process requires taking off the bumper cover, parts of the bumper, the taillights, most of the trunk trim, etc. I bought mine from Rackattack and all together it was about 1100 installed.

Would I have preferred the OEM one? Yes, but I didnt have to order my vehicle and risk all the other shortages.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Well I had no interest in a hitch when I purchased the vehicle a few months ago. Then we bought e bikes and I live in Colorado with millions of trails so I needed a way to haul them.

The factory hitch is very visible and in my opinion distracts from the look of the vehicle. I have the M Sport package and I really like the way it looks so I did not want them cutting into the bumper. I could have gotten a lesser price hitch but you cannot see this one because it is under the bumper. All you do is attach the receiver when you are ready to use it. And, as you said, you loose the foot remote opener with the factory hitch.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus07 View Post
Lucky you. Not in the states.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #10
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKevin View Post
Oh no. I am short on patience and there is no way that I would have not damaged the car. I looked at the directions on line and it said it takes about 2.5 hours to install. It would take me two days.
Haha got it. Maybe I'll go that route as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #11
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover696969 View Post
how much was the product + the install? Can we get a pic of the actual product?
stealthhitches.com $668 for hitch without ball. Three pictures show receiver attachment, the interface under the bumper with the lock and the final picture is the receiver attached. Installation was $464.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The factory hitch comes out higher, which may, in some cases be an advantage.

If you intend to actually tow something rather than just use a bike carrier, unless you add the OEM wiring module and harness (not that hard IF it comes prewired, the current US vehicles do NOT), you will lose the following:
- trailer stability control
- auto disable of rear PDC sensors
- vehicle sensing of trailer light status operation
- heavier front brakes
- additional engine and transmission cooling
- new rear camera view

The X5 is a truck...a hitch doesn't seem out of place to me. I can't see the rear when driving. If you add one afterward, to duplicate the full capability will cost a LOT of money. To get something you can use in many cases doesn't have to be super expensive and yes, there are aftermarket harnesses that can make the lights work, but they will be transparent from the vehicle.

In Europe, you'd want the electrical harness, as they require auxiliary lights when carrying something like a bike that could hide the existing ones. It's a good idea in the states as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #13
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

If you intend to actually tow something rather than just use a bike carrier, unless you add the OEM wiring module and harness (not that hard IF it comes prewired, the current US vehicles do NOT), you will lose the following:
- heavier front brakes
- new rear camera view

The X5 is a truck...a hitch doesn't seem out of place to me. I can't see the rear when driving. If you add one afterward, to duplicate the full capability will cost a LOT of money. To get something you can use in many cases doesn't have to be super expensive and yes, there are aftermarket harnesses that can make the lights work, but they will be transparent from the vehicle.

In Europe, you'd want the electrical harness, as they require auxiliary lights when carrying something like a bike that could hide the existing ones. It's a good idea in the states as well.
and all I want it for is a bike platform so I am a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #14
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thx!
is it called a stealth hitch because it retracts behind the bumper? or can the actual 2in receiver square be seen from directly behind the vehicle like the OEM hitch?
You cannot see anything until you insert the receiver. Hook up is under the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Part of the modification is to cut the under bumper cover so you have access to the actual mount. When it's removed, it's not visible from the rear unless you're on the ground looking up. You may or may not be able to insert and remove it until you lay on the ground at least the first few times so you can get to the release knob and release the locking pin.

One of the OEM versions sold outside of the US, has the thing motorized so it extends and retracts with just a button press. It uses a gooseneck, not a receiver, so also would require bike racks not sold in the USA to function that lock onto the ball of the gooseneck. The Stealth hitch has two different inserts you can buy for it:
- a receiver suitable for use with US style bike racks. It is NOT suitable for towing
- a ball towing attachment that plugs in in place of the receiver for towing

Stealth hitch makes a variety of different ball hitches with different extensions and heights... https://stealthhitches.com/products/ball-mount-u3s

Last edited by jad03060; 07-07-2021 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #16
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ah, so you attach the receiver when you want to use it. I see.

Just curious though, why didn't u just get the $500 OEM factory hitch with your new car?
Two reasons...I didn't want a hitch originally, then I bought e bikes so I needed a hitch for the bike rack. I got a Stealth Hitch because I didn't want to see it at all when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
and he retains the kick to open/close feature!

I'm highly considering this. my kids are getting more active on their bikes, and I want to take them to trails further away from our current routes.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #18
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
and he retains the kick to open/close feature!

I'm highly considering this. my kids are getting more active on their bikes, and I want to take them to trails further away from our current routes.
Yes, that feature is retained with this hitch. At 64 and retired, I too am ready to hit the trails on a bike and see things you can't see from a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
ColoradoKevin
did you take it to an authorized stealth hitch installer? Mine is quite a distance away…
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #20
ColoradoKevin
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ColoradoKevin
did you take it to an authorized stealth hitch installer? Mine is quite a distance away…
I did. Lucky I am in Denver and there were a few to choose from. The Stealth website listed my BMW dealer as an authorized installer but when I called, they were not.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
AlinDenver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 (in production)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

- heavier front brakes
- new rear camera view

I got the factory hitch because I knew I would occasionally tow, and in fact connected a utility trailer within a month of delivery. I was surprised that I got a warning on the dash that said something like, “There is a fault in the left trailer turn signal/brake lamp.” So there’s your “vehicle sensing of trailer light status operation.” That X5 is smart! 😃
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #22
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
ColoradoKevin
One option is to check with your local body shop. Many do hitch installs. Ask your BMW advisor for their recommendation. Body shop rates are a lot less than the dealer rates.

Stealth Hitch includes coding through Okee (that's his name - pronounced Okay) at codemycar.com.

I had a Stealth hitch on my F15. Worked really well. I got the factory option on the G05.

Gerry
nZtiZia4592.50