nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bmwe90 View Post
Thanks for this information. I think it's stupid that I can see it as an option even though my vehicle isn't compatible with it.
why stupid?

your MY19 only supports the digital key card which is why you have the Digital Key tile in the app. (if you had a later vehicle model that supports Digital Key for smartphones, it's set up using the same tile.)

IOW, the Digital Key tile in the app sets up both the digital key card and/or the Digital Key for smartphones. you can't set up the smartphone Digital Key because you have a MY19 vehicle that doesn't support that feature. however, you can set up the digital key card (the physical card that looks like a credit card)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 04-30-2022 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #24
Edubya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
why stupid?

your MY19 only supports the digital key card which is why you have the Digital Key tile in the app. (if you had a later vehicle model that supports Digital Key for smartphones, it's set up using the same tile.)

IOW, the Digital Key tile in the app sets up both the digital key card and/or the Digital Key for smartphones. you can't set up the smartphone Digital Key because you have a MY19 vehicle that doesn't support that feature. however, you can set up the digital key card (the physical card that looks like a credit card)
I think because the screenshot provided shows in iDrive the statement of "eg smartphone", which suggests it is more than the keycard.

Also, I think its "stupid" that my keycard doesn't say keycard, it says "BMW Digital Key". not really that stupid, but I came across my Digital Key, of the proximity card type today, which I never set up, so I start to google the term printed on the card, "BMW Digital Key" and its talking about a phone app, not a proximity card. I think all this adds to some confusion.

Last edited by Edubya; 05-01-2022 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      05-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
I think because the screenshot provided shows in iDrive the statement of "eg smartphone", which suggests it is more than the keycard.

Also, I think its "stupid" that my keycard doesn't say keycard, it says "BMW Digital Key". not really that stupid, but I came across my Digital Key, of the proximity card type today, which I never set up, so I start to google the term printed on the card, "BMW Digital Key" and its talking about a phone app, not a proximity card. I think all this adds to some confusion.
I can agree with you on the confusion
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:16 PM   #26
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

I found out today that my Galaxy S20 is one model too old to work with the digital key option. It has to be an S21 or later.

It's about time for a new phone anyway, if I can find a carrier unlocked and possible pre-rooted S22.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #27
stu5797
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i

S22 does not work... S21 only
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:19 PM   #28
BMW and me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

I bought a new S21 plus from online shop -well known . The box was sealed with the sticker with the information that phone is form other EU country and was flashed by seller to UK version. If I new it before buy I would not buy it, expecting compatibility issues but this was not advertised even small print. Phone is Hungarian version but is flashed with "UK ?" firmware. Installed all updates and the moment of truth, Digital Key doesn't work . Have big button in MY BMW , can press it, have on the screen SET UP DIGITAL KEY and when press it have message " Your device is not compatible with BMW Digital Key. The same message as on my current S10+. Spoke with BMW ,they asked to update services in the car but this does not help. Have to return phone , cancel contract. It is warning to UK buyers , if you want Digital key make sure that phone is with original software and for UK market. Other apps i.e banks works okay , only DK doesn't work but DK was only reason for me to buy a new phone. I should expect something as they have substantially cheaper offer than directly from mobile network operator. Or maybe someone had similar problem and have solution? I tried everything , for nothing many hours.

Update. After many calls my knowledge extended, car is DK 1.5 but needs 2.0 and this needs update to min 21-11 or better 22-03. But most important that most likely phone is 100% okay.

Update 2, Phone was not okay, it has to be UK version not EU. DK is working with S21+.

Last edited by BMW and me; 05-20-2022 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Update 2
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #29
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
S22 does not work... S21 only
Maybe it’s time to move to an iPhone! Yes, I’m that guy!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #30
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

FYI, was able to add digital key to iPhone 12 Max, not via my BMW app, but under wallet, and just add car keys.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #31
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Quote:
Thanks for this information. I think it's stupid that I can see it as an option even though my vehicle isn't compatible with it.
This screenshot may help. If you had the BMW Digital Key, your screen would show at least 2 entries: 1) Key Card and 2) <your-phone>. Mine shows 3 because I also have an Apple Watch compatible with the BMW Digital Key. But, as pointed out by other posts, yours is a MY19 so no Digital Key option.

07-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #32
19bmwg05
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i; 09 e91 328xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
why stupid?

I feel it's stupid because the display suggests that I can activate my iPhone 12 Pro Max for use as a digital key, but the myBMW app does not offer the digital key tile. If the MY19 vehicles don't have it as an option, the iDrive shouldn't suggest smartphones could be used.
Appreciate 1
x1noob3.00
      07-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I feel it's stupid because the display suggests that I can activate my iPhone 12 Pro Max for use as a digital key, but the myBMW app does not offer the digital key tile. If the MY19 vehicles don't have it as an option, the iDrive shouldn't suggest smartphones could be used.
The 2019's had it for Android (only a few models) not iPhones.
      07-15-2022, 04:36 AM   #34
Michachael
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'd love a Keycard, and I think my BMW supports it, but it doesn't exist in Europe apparently. I called BMW Hotline and also local dealers, they either never heard of a "key card" or they confirmed that it's only in the US... Is this true? Can't I just order a key card from abroad and active it in my BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #35
Crafto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e MGM Msport

I have a situation that makes me think it's an iphone bug -- I have a brand new '22 45e and a very new ihpone 13 Pro, and my BMW app on my phone went from showing the digital key (which I set up, but it NEVER actually worked), to all of a sudden not even showing it as an option. When I then try to set it up just through my car on the dash, it asks me for a pin which I don't have. Not a seamless system that's for sure. It's not a huge deal but sure would be nice to be able to actually use this feature I paid for.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #36
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michachael View Post
I'd love a Keycard, and I think my BMW supports it, but it doesn't exist in Europe apparently. I called BMW Hotline and also local dealers, they either never heard of a "key card" or they confirmed that it's only in the US... Is this true? Can't I just order a key card from abroad and active it in my BMW?
Not true, I have a keycard in Europe and so does my wife (for her i4 M50).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #37
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michachael View Post
My UK car has a keycard.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #38
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

I'm still trying to understand the benefit of the key card. After a few tries I did manage to activate mine and I was able to unlock the door and start the engine. Is that it? The digital phone key, along with the app, allows me to also lock the car and do lots of other things. What am I missing? Are there ways to configure the card to perform other tricks? Useful for valet service maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #39
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
I'm still trying to understand the benefit of the key card. After a few tries I did manage to activate mine and I was able to unlock the door and start the engine. Is that it? The digital phone key, along with the app, allows me to also lock the car and do lots of other things. What am I missing? Are there ways to configure the card to perform other tricks? Useful for valet service maybe?
It has different value for different people. If you are an outdoor swimmer you wouldn't want to keep your phone in you swim trunk pocket but the key card will be just fine. Some keep it in their wallet for backup. There was a member that forgot there keys in their office and noticed after an hour train ride, was able to use the key card to get home.
      07-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #40
LunaTheBlue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, 2003 M5

Quote:
I use the card at the beach, when I go for long runs, or when I don’t want the bulk of the key in my pocket. The phone key was less useful - I use it pretty much when I go to the garage to grab something from the car and forgot my key but had my phone in my hand.

It has a limited use - but I’ve appreciated having the card in a few moments where I didn’t want to have the whole key with me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:34 PM   #41
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the digital keycard existed way before Digital Key for iPhone/Android. it locks, unlocks, starts the vehicle in a smaller form factor than a smartphone. the Digital Key also locks, unlocks, starts the vehicle. can't factor the added features of the app as those are separate from the Digital Key.

add'l features of Digital Key:
1) Apple Watch compatbility
2) share key with friends/family
3) works for up to 5h even after iPhone dies due to low battery (unverified if same for Android phones)
4) purportedly more secure than digital keycard which uses earlier version of NFC security

**with UWB tech coming, hopefully a software/firware update is all that will be needed for enhanced user experience and security

FWIW, i have Digital Key on iPhone in addition to the keycard in my wallet. in the few instances i forgot my key fob, i used my phone rather than the keycard even though i equally carried both. i think it depends on individual use-case

Last edited by nZtiZia; 07-17-2022 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #42
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Okay, thanks. For myself it's likely to be most useful as a backup.

Any thoughts on its utility for valet parking? I know there's a valet mode, but it seems a bit cumbersome to set up on the fly. Not that I plan to let a total stranger who's not a mechanic anywhere near this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #43
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Any thoughts on its utility for valet parking? I know there's a valet mode, but it seems a bit cumbersome to set up on the fly. Not that I plan to let a total stranger who's not a mechanic anywhere near this car.
the keycard is assigned to an individual's driver profile, so is it unsafe as it loads you (and your info) up? the key fob does the same but doesn't enabling valet mode put the vehicle in the Guest driver profile? maybe the keycard affords add'l security because it's NFC and not prone to the practice of 'signal thievery' from the key fob. losing the fob is less stressful than a fob, too, which performs more functions and costs more to replace.

i haven't played with valet mode at all, so i can't speak about setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

I have used the valet mode a few times, just need to select it and put in a pin.