BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #1
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Winter/Summer Tires or All Season Tires??

All, I'm currently awaiting build/delivery of a X6 m60i with 747M wheels (tire sizes of 275/35R22 front, 315/30R22 rear). It is going to be delivered with performance non-run flat tires. I live in Michigan, where in certain years we can receive a considerable amount of snow. I'm going to need different tires in the snowy months, and I see two options: 1) All season all year around, or 2) Winter/Snow tires in the cold months alternated with Summer/Performance tires in the warm months. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or know of a definitive advantage to one option over the other? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #2
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I think the default response you are likely to get is you should really have snow tires in the winter. That said, I have a slightly different take which admittedly may not apply well to your case.

I'm in Bellevue, Washington and we don't get a lot of snow, but we do tend to get a dump or two which can accumulate about a foot or more of snow. This can make the roads fairly treacherous when you factor in the abundance of steep hills we have around here. It is fairly common for schools to close as the buses cannot handle the hills after a snow fall.

In my case there is no way I could climb the hill into our neighborhood without all-wheel drive and competent tires. I used to do the summer/winter swap on my previous X3, which obviously worked just fine. When I ordered my X5 last year however, I decided to roll the dice on all-seasons. They were surprisingly competent when the snow came and I had no trouble navigating our hill, whereas many neighbors had to leave their cars at the bottom and trudge back up the hill on foot.

Obviously I don't know what your circumstances will be, but I do think all-seasons are a lot more capable than many folks believe.

That said, there is no doubt that your stopping distances will be shorter with full on winter tires, but again I tested that repeatedly with my all-seasons and was very impressed with how effective they were. In my case I am confident that I can easily deal with the worst conditions I am likely to experience around here. I also plan to take them up skiing next season, although I would avoid the worst of the road conditions just as a precaution. I would likely do that anyway. Skiing is just not worth risking being on the road with the seemingly endless supply of idiots who think their front wheel drive summer tires are just fine in blizzard conditions
Appreciate 4
      04-21-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin58 View Post
All, I'm currently awaiting build/delivery of a X6 m60i with 747M wheels (tire sizes of 275/35R22 front, 315/30R22 rear). It is going to be delivered with performance non-run flat tires. I live in Michigan, where in certain years we can receive a considerable amount of snow. I'm going to need different tires in the snowy months, and I see two options: 1) All season all year around, or 2) Winter/Snow tires in the cold months alternated with Summer/Performance tires in the warm months. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or know of a definitive advantage to one option over the other? Thanks.
I live in metro Detroit area and I have been using separate summer and winter sets for a while now and will never go back to all seasons year round. I do use all seasons on the standard OEM 20s and will downsize to 19s or get separate 20s with blizzaks. The grip is so much better on snow and ice with all my cars and the ride is smoother on cold days. The winters last 3 to 4 seasons and allows the all seasons or summer to last longer too as I'm only using them 8 months a year or so. Plus with potholes winters are more forgiving. With my Audi RS7 I use summers on 22s and winters on 21s.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Once temps go below 45 degrees performance tires need to come off regardless of road conditions
Appreciate 2
cptcolo102.00
      04-21-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Dumb question, but how do performance tires do in rain?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #6
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin58 View Post
Dumb question, but how do performance tires do in rain?
within the operation temperature range. Better.
cptcolo102.00
      04-21-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Once temps go below 45 degrees performance tires need to come off regardless of road conditions
This is absolutely incorrect. The grip degrade, but it doesn't mean it isn't functional. You won't have the best lap time on track, but it works just fine at 45F for normal driving. We see 35F in winter evening and night all the time, and in my locations, we have no shortage of performance car with summer times, and no one here have a set of winter tires. I don't see car crashing in winters.

The important factor here is locations. Certain tire usage depend on the exact weather pattern, which is highly tight to location. In some area, when winter temp cross below 45F, it means temp will continue dropping for the winter, and maybe snow will come, then sure a separate set of winter to replace summer maybe prefer. But other locations, where winter temp fluctuant around 40-45F without snow with much higher day time temperature, such as in Central or South CA, let's not let the lawyer's talking get into reality

Last edited by eelnoraa; 04-21-2023 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
AGONXF30270.50
      04-21-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

I live in Philly - not a lot of snow anymore, but extended, below 35, temps. I’ve same wheel.

Get the summer tire and a separate winter set - look at a 20inch square set up (for pricing/availability/drivability). You won’t be disappointed. But you do need a 2nd set.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #9
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
within the operation temperature range. Better.
Correct. Summer tires will outperform winter tires in the rain during the warmer seasons.

I've always ran summer/winter tires on my cars. Where I live, we only get snow maybe 3 weeks in a year...but to me, it's always safety first.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #10
slicky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cadilac ATS-V

First question: Why are there summer only performance tires on this vehicle?
This isn't a sports car. They are useless on a crossover SUV, even a performance one. Quality all season tires (maybe even performance all seasons), will do a fine job year around (if there were any in that size). And sure, if you want to bother with a winter set of tires or tires/wheels as a second set, go for it.
Appreciate 3
      04-21-2023, 03:04 PM   #11
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

The AWD system with all seasons will help most of us get out of snowy conditions unless it's a huge snowfall.

It's the dedicated winter tires that are there to help you stop better in snow/ice conditions. As well as provide more grip when handling.

For my purposes, given my cargo includes my previous 5 and 3 year old daughters, I spend the extra on dedicated winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #12
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicky View Post
This isn't a sports car. They are useless on a crossover SUV, even a performance one. Quality all season tires (maybe even performance all seasons), will do a fine job year around (if there were any in that size). And sure, if you want to bother with a winter set of tires or tires/wheels as a second set, go for it.
I think it’s due to the lack of A/S tire availability for large diameter wheels.

In my past SUVs, I had 19” and 20” wheels. For those, I’ve always had A/S tires for the summer, spring, fall seasons. I only put winter tires on during the winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:28 PM   #13
AloneAlien
Private
Rep
Drives: Buick Enclave, Volvo XC 40

The world is changing and A/S tires become better. Modern A/S from known manufacturers work well both in summer and winter. Use them on all my SUVs.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
puckybadger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You got that right.
I see plenty of 911's and Vette's out on beautiful sun splashed days in January with the outside temp at ZERO and bone dry roads. No way.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:48 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Rubber tires get harder with age and temperature. The tread design on a summer performance tire is geared more towards maximum traction with usually decent rain traction as well. The lack of sipes and the harder rubber as the weather gets colder mean that you will lose traction once you reach a certain point, generally considered to be around 40F or so. Worst case, especially if you don't wear them out, is that after a few years, or in extreme cold conditions, your summer performance tires may literally crack or chunk out sections of its rubber.

All-seasons are a compromise all seasons, but are continually getting more capable. You cannot beat a dedicated winter tire when there's snow or ice on the roads. If all it gets is just cold, an all-seasons tire may be more than enough, but dedicated tires for the season will give you a higher degree of control and safety when the weather gets bad. For most of my driving life, I've bit the bullet and swapped tires with the seasons. I've never been stranded or had an accident while moving...I've been able to stop when others couldn't and been hit, but sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it. It's really annoying to be stopped at a light and have someone slide into you because they were just going too fast for the conditions with their vehicle.
Appreciate 1
bandersen587.00
      04-21-2023, 03:55 PM   #16
tkim91321
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i | 2024 M440i GC

Garage List
I also have the m60i with 747 wheels coming in.

My first stop from pickup will be at a local place to swap the performance tires for all seasons. I'm selling the stock performance tires for whatever I can as a very small offset.

I am honestly too lazy and don't give a shit about maximizing performance; nor do I want to dish out 3-4k on a new set of wheels/tires. It's a fucking SUV, not a M sedan on a track. All seasons are more than enough as long as you aren't an idiot on the road and respect the vehicle and throttle.
Appreciate 2
realdah57.00
Grau50.00
      04-21-2023, 03:58 PM   #17
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I look at it as cheap insurance such that I can get where I need to if the weather is funky. Most of the time if it's bad, I can just stay home, but sometimes, you get caught out. Depending on where you live, black ice can show up in unexpected times, and the most grip you can have could be critical as you may not see it coming.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #18
GordoCLM
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I live in Zürich,

22 on Summer
21 on Winter

😁
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:13 PM   #19
puckybadger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Rubber tires get harder with age and temperature. The tread design on a summer performance tire is geared more towards maximum traction with usually decent rain traction as well. The lack of sipes and the harder rubber as the weather gets colder mean that you will lose traction once you reach a certain point, generally considered to be around 40F or so. Worst case, especially if you don't wear them out, is that after a few years, or in extreme cold conditions, your summer performance tires may literally crack or chunk out sections of its rubber.

All-seasons are a compromise all seasons, but are continually getting more capable. You cannot beat a dedicated winter tire when there's snow or ice on the roads. If all it gets is just cold, an all-seasons tire may be more than enough, but dedicated tires for the season will give you a higher degree of control and safety when the weather gets bad. For most of my driving life, I've bit the bullet and swapped tires with the seasons. I've never been stranded or had an accident while moving...I've been able to stop when others couldn't and been hit, but sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it. It's really annoying to be stopped at a light and have someone slide into you because they were just going too fast for the conditions with their vehicle.
With regards to your first paragraph, my 456M GT has MPSS performance tires dated 2016 with 10000 miles and plenty of tread left. They will be replaced for this driving season for all the reasons you mentioned
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #20
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I almost agree 100% here except I can see at one practice case. If where you live, one set of all season just won’t cut, and you need a set of winter, the the other set might as well be summer instead of all season.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:48 PM   #21
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkim91321 View Post
I also have the m60i with 747 wheels coming in.

My first stop from pickup will be at a local place to swap the performance tires for all seasons. I'm selling the stock performance tires for whatever I can as a very small offset.

I am honestly too lazy and don't give a shit about maximizing performance; nor do I want to dish out 3-4k on a new set of wheels/tires. It's a fucking SUV, not a M sedan on a track. All seasons are more than enough as long as you aren't an idiot on the road and respect the vehicle and throttle.
You are probably right. But, when the zombies ( or, MAGA) come in a Nov, I want to be able to hook it into Canada and not worry about having to stop. 🤣🤣🤣
Like someone said, it’s very cheap insurance on a $80,000 car. On my Audi S4, I swapped myself every year. On this car, I was fortunate enough to find somebody to store and swap for me for $100 a swap, like in Europe.
The earlier post on the characteristics of winter versus summer, rubber, and how it can be brittle was an excellent post for everyone to read.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 05:27 PM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
With regards to your first paragraph, my 456M GT has MPSS performance tires dated 2016 with 10000 miles and plenty of tread left. They will be replaced for this driving season for all the reasons you mentioned
In my earlier years, I drove enough so I never had to worry about tires getting too old, but in the industry, they consider a 6-year old tire ready to be retired, regardless of the quantity of tread on it. So, beware, sometimes the tires you might see that have a good price, could be an older production date - it's always a good idea to check first. It's best to try to get fresh ones, regardless, and that might cost you a little more sometimes. Winter tires tend to get made starting in the spring for early fall delivery what with shipping times, in preparation for the upcoming season, and summer performance tires tend to be made in the winter...all-seasons tend to have their own dedicated lines and can be made all year. Those are generalizations, but the tire manufacturers realize for best results, they should try to be offering recent stock to their customers. Now, not all dealers are all that honorable...they want to get rid of their old stock.
Appreciate 0