BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2023, 09:22 AM   #1
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

Why does Apple CarPlay needs to disconnect your phone from WiFi?

I am just curious on how Apple Carplay works, when my phone connects to the car via wireless CarPlay, it disconnects from our home Wifi.
So, this is a problem for my wife mostly. The cell signal is terrible where we live, when she gets in the car, the phone disconnect from home Wifi because CarPlay took over. She is unable to put in a GPS location on Apple maps. So, she would have to put in the locations on the phone before getting in the car.

My guess is CarPlay uses the Wifi module, but I am sure there are good knowledge on the forum on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

Wireless CarPlay works using your phone's wifi connection.

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
I am just curious on how Apple Carplay works, when my phone connects to the car via wireless CarPlay, it disconnects from our home Wifi.
So, this is a problem for my wife mostly. The cell signal is terrible where we live, when she gets in the car, the phone disconnect from home Wifi because CarPlay took over. She is unable to put in a GPS location on Apple maps. So, she would have to put in the locations on the phone before getting in the car.

My guess is CarPlay uses the Wifi module, but I am sure there are good knowledge on the forum on this topic.
i hope you're not confusing the "wifi module" with wifi HotSpot or vehicle wifi.

wifi HotSpot is a feature that requires a cellular subscription (the vehicle has its own cellular number). once active, devices can connect to the vehicle's mobile network via wifi similar to joining any wifi network. note this network ID is not the same network ID as the vehicle wifi (below).

vehicle wifi (DIRECT-BMW #####) is a 'background' connection between your phone and CarPlay. it's not an internet connection, so the behavior your wife is experiencing is expected albeit frustrating due to poor cellular signal. as mentioned, inputing the destination in Apple Maps before entering the vehicle is one way. another way is to drive a bit until her phone's cellular signal becomes strong enough to connect to the internet where she can then enter the destination. a third way is to use BMW’s Nav by entering the destination in the MyBMW app then sending it to the vehicle (perform before entering the vehicle) or directly in the vehicle Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaTe View Post
Wireless CarPlay works using your phone's wifi connection.
true, but i will clarify it's a connection between the vehicle and the phone, not a connection to the internet, which is the issue for the OP's wife. as soon as her phone connects via CarPlay, she loses her internet access because she loses connection with the home wifi and doesn't have a good cellular signal.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2023, 09:43 PM   #4
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Could you tell your phone to priorities the home wifi over the car wifi (DIRECT-BMW #####)?
If you can, then the phone will only connect to the car once the car is driven away from the house wifi range?

I know on laptops etc you can priotise the connection, i wonder if you can do the same on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 07:47 PM   #5
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Another option is to enter the address in the iPhone calendar entry. When CarPlay connects and you go to maps, you will see an option to navigate to the scheduled address. I use this frequently.

An advantage of CarPlay connecting over WiFI is that Apple Music sounds much better over WiFi than it does over Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0