BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
vdosis
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i / 2024 X5 40i

Idrive not working, emergency call system error

Hi All,

My new 2024 X5 40i all of the sudden has a completely blank screen on the right (instrument cluster on the left still works). The instrument cluster shows some sort of emergency call system error. Restarting the car, holding the audio power button in for long periods of time had no effect. Any other type of self troubleshooting I can do?

Pretty rough to have no a/c control or backup camera in the meantime.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 08:37 PM   #2
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdosis View Post
Hi All,

My new 2024 X5 40i all of the sudden has a completely blank screen on the right (instrument cluster on the left still works). The instrument cluster shows some sort of emergency call system error. Restarting the car, holding the audio power button in for long periods of time had no effect. Any other type of self troubleshooting I can do?

Thanks.
You might still be able to use a/c with voice commands.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #3
vdosis
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i / 2024 X5 40i

In the event this happens to anyone else, it is magically good to go the following day. Might have been a stalled update or something to that effect.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2023, 12:44 AM   #4
LeKayz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
This happen to MY24 X7 M60i, but my right screen works for awhile. Finally at dealer this week and said my TCB is shot. back order 1 month and won't be here til Aug 12. There was also a pending 8.5 software update pending also.

While putting off going to the dealer for 3 weeks since car works fine, I recently got brake booster malfunction and parking brake error. Hopefully the X5 LCI doesn't get the brake booster errors the X7 are seeing more of now.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:14 AM   #5
Sgtwifey
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
This happened to me last night on my 2024 X6 xdrive40i! Resolved after a drive, when I came out of the store everything worked again. Agree on the frustration with this.

I also had a 585 - Drivetrain error a week ago that went away after a drive.

I’m wondering if these are all bugs that the 8.5 update will fix that I’ve been reading about on this forum… I really hope so!

Beyond annoying to deal with this on a “luxury” car!
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      09-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I’m seeing this issue as well. Wondering if disconnecting the battery for 30 mins would affect it?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #7
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Nope. Took it to the dealer. Loose connection. Back up and running.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2023, 12:57 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I feel like I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb with the wife's new 2024 X5 40i. Between the drive train error/issue and now the iD8 screen issue I'm just seemingly waiting for the shoe to drop.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 03:39 PM   #9
Sabanism
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

My X5 40i did the same thing 2 days after I picked it up at the end of July. It fixed itself after I made a service appointment, but I decided to take it in anyway.

They had a service bulletin about the issue. It was considered a safety issue because the emergency call system was affected, so they were able to update my car from iDrive 8.0 to 8.5 to fix it.

I almost wish I'd waited to see if the problem came back because I've had some weird issues with Carplay since the update to 8.5.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 05:37 AM   #10
Dschlosser15
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

I feel very sorry for you. My 24 X5 40i has had this problem since I purchased it in April. Curious if after it happens do other iDrive issues start to happen? BMW NA updated my car to 8.5 which broke my heads-up display and now I have one issue after the other and am waiting for this to happen again, just got mine back yesterday been at dealership sinc August 10th, car is going back early next week because now my internal lights on the door don’t change to red when you open the door even when it’s enabled. My car has been at the dealership for over 40 days with these issues and BMW NA doesn’t care one bit. I offered to upgrade to an X7 if they keep me whole on just the purchase price of my car and their offer was disrespectful at best.

Unfortunately for consumers lemon law requires the same issue to be repetitive not related 🤬I can tell you I have owned BMWs exclusively for the past 20 years and I can wait to get ride of this piece of 💩and will never buy a BMW again. I honestly don’t understand why all the people with complaints stay with them at the end on the day it’s transportation and BMW treats their customer like shit.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 06:46 AM   #11
Tgwarp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50E

Emergency Service malfunction

Same thing just happened to my new 2024 X5 50e with 800 miles on it.
Affects anything that requires satellite or connection to internet.
Will be taking it in today or tomorrow
All screens still work but has constant "Emergency call system malfunction" warning.

Noticed it when the time did not change automatically and no connectivity to the My BMW app
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:31 AM   #12
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

This and component malfunction happen led to me on Monday. The right screen is blank and it’s at the dealer now. The service manager said they haven’t seen these errors yet..:? Emergency system failure and Component Malfunctions.

I started another thread and I’ll keep you posted when they have an opportunity to look at the car probably today.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #13
uali01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 535 M sport

Had the emergency call system malfunction happen twice in 3 days before I took it to the dealer last week. Upgraded Idrive to 8.5 and it has been good since. They told me it was a common error and the software update fixes it. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 01:02 PM   #14
gsquare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

FWIW, I got the blank right screen earlier this week with the emergency call system malfunction with 8.5 (dealer upgraded). A reboot didn’t cure it, but system returned to normal after a five minute wait. As I live within walking distance of the dealer, I dropped it off, and got a loaner overnight. No errors were found, but at least we have a record of it should the issue reoccur.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #15
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquare View Post
FWIW, I got the blank right screen earlier this week with the emergency call system malfunction with 8.5 (dealer upgraded). A reboot didn’t cure it, but system returned to normal after a five minute wait. As I live within walking distance of the dealer, I dropped it off, and got a loaner overnight. No errors were found, but at least we have a record of it should the issue reoccur.
My 2024 X5 40i is at the dealer now and they can’t seem to figure this out. Told me they have a tech case into BMW for support. I’m hoping that BMW will be able to fix this problem for us…. Did your dealer fix it or call BmW for assistance?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:35 PM   #16
bostonx6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

This happened to me last week with just under 500 miles on it. I had the emergency call system malfunction error along with the right hand screen not working. I brought it over to the dealership immediately, since without the screens it’s impossible for me to get the car into the tandem parking spots in my building’s garage. In any case, they updated the vehicle to idrive 8.5.

One think I’m not liking with 8.5 is the new font. It’s square and stretched and harder on the eyes, particularly in the head-up display.
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      11-09-2023, 09:35 PM   #17
gsquare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWhite! View Post
My 2024 X5 40i is at the dealer now and they can’t seem to figure this out. Told me they have a tech case into BMW for support. I’m hoping that BMW will be able to fix this problem for us…. Did your dealer fix it or call BmW for assistance?
Not that I know of. As mine returned to normal on its own, all they did was check for current faults. Another customer had both screens go blank, which resulted in an iDrive computer replacement AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:14 PM   #18
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer just called and said BmW NA did a system reset and it’s all back up and operational. Picking up later this afternoon. Will be inquiring to see if they’ve updated the system to 8.5 or what the actual cause was? I’m not terribly optimistic I’ll get any clarity on the details but certainly they’ll know about software updates…
Appreciate 0