Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I personally didn't like the air for two reasons. 1. Seemed a little floaty when I wanted it firm.
This is so true, except I found the difference night and day.
I'm just surprised that so many members here think otherwise and are happy with how firm the air is. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me....
I agree, spent all day Saturday test driving:

X5 50i base suspension
X5 40i M-Sport with 2VR-IAS
X7 M-Sport with 2VR

Base suspension was eh and bit floaty.

2VR-IAS delivered planted, smooth ride in Sport Adaptive mode - not floaty at all esp. with 22"

X7 was just f'ing amazing and drove like smaller than it does for being a big vehicle. Similar driving experience as the X5. Both had the 22"s. Tested on rough construction roads and it just soaks ups and smooths the ride better than base suspension.

Was planning on the X5 this fall but man the X7 is a great cruiser.

Off-topic - the massaging seats are f'ing amaze ballz. Barely felt it on setting 1 but 2 was nice and you definitely feel it on 3. I didn't notice any in seat comfort issues with vent/massaging seats.

Appreciate 2
VTENGR1052.50
bichoo280.50
      04-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #24
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The massaging seats are the best I have ever felt. The seats and massage functions were designed with several physiotherapist. There is a video on this about the new X5 seats.
The massaging seats are a contributing factor how I could drive 1100 miles in one day with my 50i M-Sport and have no back issues. The new X5 is a game changer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #25
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The massaging seats are the best I have ever felt. The seats and massage functions were designed with several physiotherapist. There is a video on this about the new X5 seats.
The massaging seats are a contributing factor how I could drive 1100 miles in one day with my 50i M-Sport and have no back issues. The new X5 is a game changer.
I always thought of this as a gimmick because it's not likely you would have them on for any extended period. When I hear massaging seats I think of an old lazy boy recliner - not for me. I would think the many adjustments we have with the seats to be more important.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
I always thought of this as a gimmick because it's not likely you would have them on for any extended period. When I hear massaging seats I think of an old lazy boy recliner - not for me. I would think the many adjustments we have with the seats to be more important.
I agree, the massaging function isn’t the old vibrating zone like a recliner or in other auto manufactures. BMW has precision fingers that push and manipulates soft tissue. You can have them on as long as you want/need. I used them a lot on extended drives. They totally eliminate hot spots or back cramping from extended driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #27
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

What nails it for me is when I travel and drive in other people's cars... they feel harsh - like driving on wooden wheels. Get in to my X5 with air suspension and it's a really big difference.

Last edited by lumpydog; 04-03-2019 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #28
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I personally didn't like the air for two reasons. 1. Seemed a little floaty when I wanted it firm.
I'm just surprised that so many members here think otherwise and are happy with how firm the air is. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me....
I agree, spent all day Saturday test driving:

X5 50i base suspension
X5 40i M-Sport with 2VR-IAS
X7 M-Sport with 2VR

Base suspension was eh and bit floaty.

2VR-IAS delivered planted, smooth ride in Sport Adaptive mode - not floaty at all esp. with 22"

X7 was just f'ing amazing and drove like smaller than it does for being a big vehicle. Similar driving experience as the X5. Both had the 22"s. Tested on rough construction roads and it just soaks ups and smooths the ride better than base suspension.

Was planning on the X5 this fall but man the X7 is a great cruiser.

Off-topic - the massaging seats are f'ing amaze ballz. Barely felt it on setting 1 but 2 was nice and you definitely feel it on 3. I didn't notice any in seat comfort issues with vent/massaging seats.
Agreed! Massage level 3 always!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #29
woodrowx5
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40 on order week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank19x5 View Post
One thing you should keep in mind is that people who have issues complain online, but people who are happy usually keep it to themselves. That's true for anything; cars, computers, cameras, etc. I don't let it deter me. I've seen enough good feedback to be comfortable. I also read and watched every review I could get my hands on and they're overwhelmingly positive. Consumer Reports called the X5 "One of the best SUVs that CR has ever tested." and ranked it in its 10 Ten Auto Picks of 2019.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

Totally agree with your post! I am one of the "silent and happy" owners. I wouldn't trade this car for anything nor would I cancel an order in the system even after the 5,000 miles driven so far. I love everything about this car. I went thru the same mental gymnastics in deciding which of the two cars to go with, RRS or the new X5, and I don't look back or regret anything. Life is short so drive what you want and can afford

Last edited by woodrowx5; 04-03-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #30
alexder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GX 460

Would it be fair to say that if you like comfort ride, you should order Air Suspension? I'm considering X5 40i, but it's very difficult to find on with Air Suspension on the lot and I'd rather not order one. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexder View Post
Would it be fair to say that if you like comfort ride, you should order Air Suspension? I'm considering X5 40i, but it's very difficult to find on with Air Suspension on the lot and I'd rather not order one. Thanks
I would think the air is a little more comfortable but it depends on the tire size. We took our test drive in a non-air 19” but ordered a 20” with air. It could have been because it was only a 30 minute test drive but I don’t feel a difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #32
alexder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GX 460

Thanks! I will try to test drive them side by side if I can find one with air suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
Ringo2712
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Just got delivery of my Msport 40i with 22" wheels and air suspension on monday. I have toy say that I'm very impressed with the car in every aspect except for the air suspension. The air suspension is extremely floaty on comfort and adaptive mode, feels like a big caddy from the 70's...in sport mode is acceptable but not sporty enough. Coming from an F15 with 20's I can say the F15 feels a lot more nimble.

The only good side of the AS is that it is extremely smooth. Should've tested it before ordering, but instead believed the "good" reviews of many road tests.
Appreciate 2
X51990.00
      04-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #34
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo2712 View Post
Just got delivery of my Msport 40i with 22" wheels and air suspension on monday. I have toy say that I'm very impressed with the car in every aspect except for the air suspension. The air suspension is extremely floaty on comfort and adaptive mode, feels like a big caddy from the 70's...in sport mode is acceptable but not sporty enough. Coming from an F15 with 20's I can say the F15 feels a lot more nimble.

The only good side of the AS is that it is extremely smooth. Should've tested it before ordering, but instead believed the "good" reviews of many road tests.
+100 to this.
This is the one specific area that gave me the most pause and where I spent most of my time across 6-7 test-drive sessions.

OP:

To oversimplify intentionally, Ride Comfort = tirewall size + wheel type (RFT/non-RFT etc) + suspension setup [including dampers] + seat padding.

I went through all of these variables by comparing different cars and tried to change only one variable at a time. Since I was doing this on existing cars in the lot, it was quite hard to pull off with precise comparions,so I had to try across 3 different dealers' inventory!

Anyway, long story short - I too found the air suspension to be extremely floaty and bouncy. On undulating roads, the car would feel like a pogo stick in slo-mo, even with 4 people on board. The final kill shot was from BMW's own documents about how slow this system is [inertia] on undulating or twisty roads and above certain speeds. Yes it does firm up in sport, but not enough IMO.

Fortunately, the adaptive-M suspension is very nice. significantly less bouncy but still very supple in Comfort mode, even on 21inch rims and RFTs - although the thinner profile tires transmit road thuds from potholes. So if the roads are bad, then the 20inch tires should help signifcantly there. 1inch makes a lot of difference here. You put in Sport mode, and it firms up and gives good transient response in the fast and twisty bits, although to control body roll you'll really the need the DHP in the 50i. The great news is that, even in sport, the suspension doesn't knife your back - it is still supple - think velvet glove over an iron fist- and so makes for a very comfy ride.

The 22inchers are non-RFT and can't be directly comparable though, but still offer a great ride with both suspensions.

Keep in mind that the dynamic dampers are standard both front and back, and they help greatly in comfort mode to suppress jarring surfaces.
Appreciate 2
bichoo280.50
      04-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #35
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
My experience mirrors yours
These things are so subjective and we all have different sensitivity and reaction intensities to the same feedback from the car.

One only has to look at how many people struggle with mattresses and how difficult objective mattress reviews are for instance .... And ride comfort has more variables, LOL !
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50
      06-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #36
xelareihted
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5, 2020 BMW 440ix co

sea sickness

I ordered my 2019 x5 last year and have regretted the air suspension and 4 wheel steering. the 4 wheel steering I am getting used to at this point, but that air suspension makes me sea-sick. In any case, it feels a little better in sports mode, unfortunately, sports mode resets every time you stop the car, so I now have to push the sports mode button every time I drive the car.
Note that if you just put-put around to and from the grocery store, you might as well buy a lexus and skip the high price of the x5 upgrades. But for a car that used to let you feel in control, this generation of air suspension is not for me.
Not a bad problem to have in this day and age...

Last edited by xelareihted; 06-08-2020 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: unnecessary info.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #37
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelareihted View Post
I ordered my 2019 x5 last year and have regretted the air suspension and 4 wheel steering. the 4 wheel steering I am getting used to at this point, but that air suspension makes me sea-sick. In any case, it feels a little better in sports mode, unfortunately, sports mode resets every time you stop the car, so I now have to push the sports mode button every time I drive the car.
Note that if you just put-put around to and from the grocery store, you might as well buy a lexus and skip the high price of the x5 upgrades. But for a car that used to let you feel in control, this generation of air suspension is not for me.
Not a bad problem to have in this day and age...
Or you can code your X5 to always start in Sport EDC mode which wouldn't necessitate pressing the EDC mode button every time you start and drive your X5.

2VR, 2-axle air suspension isn't for everyone and if owners value firmer suspension dampening then the default Adaptive M Suspension in the ZMP M Sport package is just right. Or consider ZMP over xLine if the base suspension isn't adequate.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #38
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Or you can code your X5 to always start in Sport EDC mode which wouldn't necessitate pressing the EDC mode button every time you start and drive your X5.

2VR, 2-axle air suspension isn't for everyone and if owners value firmer suspension dampening then the default Adaptive M Suspension in the ZMP M Sport package is just right. Or consider ZMP over xLine if the base suspension isn't adequate.
I am looking at a 45e and (at least over here in Europe) it seems it is only available with air suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
I am looking at a 45e and (at least over here in Europe) it seems it is only available with air suspension
Yep, as with past BMW X5 F15 "e" vehicle, has included air suspension due to the weight of the batteries and rear passenger load - specifically on the X5 F15 "e" it was rear only 1-axle air suspension.

I'm sure owners of G05 45e have chimed in on their own personal experience with the 2-axle air suspension on their vehicles.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #40
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

Driving it for 6 months now and love the air suspension. For me it is not floaty in standard setting. Comfortable in comfort and a bit sportier in sport.

I like comfort. And the 45e is perfect for that. That's also why I chose the 740M 20 inch wheels.

When you put in sport it is really fun to drive. Fast accelerations and faster corners are perfectly possible. I don't do them on two wheels anyway.

The 45e kind of makes you drive more relaxed. But you can really pull the bricks out of the street to. Here in Belgium that's no problem because they come out easy anyway.

If you really want a faster cornering car better chose something else. Like the 530e xdrive touring that just came out? Different car, different engine (4 vs 6) but closer to the ground.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      06-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #41
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Driving it for 6 months now and love the air suspension. For me it is not floaty in standard setting. Comfortable in comfort and a bit sportier in sport.

I like comfort. And the 45e is perfect for that. That's also why I chose the 740M 20 inch wheels.

When you put in sport it is really fun to drive. Fast accelerations and faster corners are perfectly possible. I don't do them on two wheels anyway.

The 45e kind of makes you drive more relaxed. But you can really pull the bricks out of the street to. Here in Belgium that's no problem because they come out easy anyway.

If you really want a faster cornering car better chose something else. Like the 530e xdrive touring that just came out? Different car, different engine (4 vs 6) but closer to the ground.
Thanks, that's a bit more reassuring. I guess a test drive is in order. A 5 series is not really an option as we have 3 kids in their early teens and they just don't fit!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #42
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

Thanks, that's a bit more reassuring. I guess a test drive is in order. A 5 series is not really an option as we have 3 kids in their early teens and they just don't fit!
It is a completely different car too. And if you configure it the same way as an x5 the price difference is not that big either. And it's a four cylinder.

😜needing a x5 because you have 3 children. First world problem. Every excuse is ok to convince your wife. 😂

Just do a test drive to find out. Good luck on choosing.

The x5 drives a lot better than an xc90 for example. That's a really floaty car.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      06-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #43
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Coming from an S7 with air, I would say that the X5 air is "floaty" in comfort mode. The sport mode feels like the normal mode in the S7 (S7 had three suspension settings: comfort, normal/auto and sport). BMW likely purposely tuned it this way versus a more standard sports sedan.

However, regardless, I wouldn't trade air for metal springs. Once you drive a car with air suspension, it's hard to drive anything else. The way it wafts and soars over road imperfections and how less "jarring" it is, generally speaking, makes up for any particular tuning deficiency (plus the ability to change ride height). I only wish BMW offered more air-suspension settings: comfort (as is), normal (which would be like the current sports) and sports (which would be an even more hardcore suspension settings). Or just add another setting for sports plus.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #44
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Generally very happy with my dual air suspension + IAS.

To the poster above who said it defaults to Comfort on startup: you can always configure Comfort to Individual settings and change chassis settings so that it's firmer. I believe that should stick
Appreciate 0