Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X519 View Post
Thanks.

Makes sense regarding lighter colors.
I have got a carbon black with partial STEK PPF and CSU coating, with claimed 10 year and 9 year warranty ratings, respectively. I take both with a grain of salt and am keeping a healthy dose of skepticism. Time will tell how well it holds up and also on how well I maintain it. Let’s see.
My brother has an M550 Sapphire Black with a partial and it looks great. He had a Carbon Black prior and that looked just as good. The darker colours are definitely less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #46
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Mystro, I really think you should be one of the Mods for the Detailing forum I've been trigger happy with the "appreciate" button, but many of those posts are of genuine informational value. Fantastic and thank you! Any links to your classes online?

Sorry this is off-topic, but what do you recommend for the BMW rubber floor liners?

I am a detailing rookie and will be practicing my skills on my old Mazda before I apply any of that to the new X5, which is being prepped with both PPF and Ceramic coating. I will start with simply sticking to keeping the car clean whilst not messing it up, which should initially suffice with the treatments applied upfront.

OP:
Yes to the PPF for me. I chose to do the entire front , including the A-pillars, mirrors, the roof in front of the moon-roof, door-cups, side rockers, the illuminated M-strips on all 4 doors (!! ), the B-pillars and the exit points of the rear doors and the bottom of the rear. Just aiming for high-traffic points or points at the front which are most likely to contact bugs and/or rock chips. Used a very glossy STEK film for this. No reduction in gloss compared to standard paint. I have Carbon Black.

The whole exterior will be covered with Ceramic coating. I am getting a coating with Crystal Serum Ultra (pro application only) + two top coats of EXO V4 for the relatively longer lifetime and general ease of washing, maintenance and warranty.
Are you asking what to clean the floor liners with? I always use a soft brush and a little Dawn dish soap. I only use Dawn on these and nothing else. It will safely remove oil and grime better than car soap. It is also awesome for spay in bed liners on a pickup.

Thanks for the complement. There are some very good free detailing videos at various sites like Autogeek and Griots Garage. PM me if you have any direct issues and I will try to help. I am still learning with new products being released every year.
I was a moderator on a few other forums years ago. It’s a hard thankless job. It also got a few crazies I had to bounce off those forums for conduct rules follow me around to other forums to take shots. It has actually happened on this forum before they were bounced from here. Its much more fun to participate on this side of the forum rather than a moderator.

Simple Rules for not messing up your new BMW.

1. Always hand wash with clean mit and plenty of carwash shampoo.
Wash top to bottom and never use the same wash mit on the wheels as you do on your paint. Wheels and tires are to be treated as a separate step from the rest of your car.
2. Never wipe down a dry paint job. Use detailing spray and a clean microfiber towel. Even if it’s just lite dust, you will scratch the paint. So resist the urge to dust your dry paint. Use a quality detailing spray every time. You can even use it on your windows for quick touch ups when your vehicle isn’t really dirty. Buy it by the gallon. Adams sells their detail spray by the gallon for a good price.

3. Stock up on high quality microfiber towels. Wash them often. A lot of micro scratches come from contaminated bath towels that look clean. I was guilty of this a lot.

4. If you can’t wash your car properly, don’t touch it. This sounds counterintuitive but you will cause more damage doing a half assed wash job at a public car wash facility. I struggled with leaving my brand new Carbon Black 50i in the parking lot at a resort on vacation. It was covered in 5 states worth of salt and dirt. Had I tried to wash it without all the proper equipment, I would have scratched and left water spots all over the paint.
“No touch” car washes do in fact touch and will leave marks. Avoid the temptation.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-06-2019 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
X51990.00
      04-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #47
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
I use this Xpel Cleaner and Chemical Guys Wrap Detailer.
I thought if you really want a ppf car to shine you need to have paint correction done and then the ppf 'locks' it in?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #48
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
I thought if you really want a ppf car to shine you need to have paint correction done and then the ppf 'locks' it in?
I've never done a paint correction. I think we are fine on Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #49
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Check out this PPF.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589327

Also, I have a question regarding Leather protection

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1601229

Last edited by X54TH; 04-06-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #50
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Are you asking what to clean the floor liners with? I always use a soft brush and a little Dawn dish soap. I only use Dawn on these and nothing else. It will safely remove oil and grime better than car soap. It is also awesome for spay in bed liners on a pickup.

Thanks for the complement. There are some very good free detailing videos at various sites like Autogeek and Griots Garage. PM me if you have any direct issues and I will try to help. I am still learning with new products being released every year.
I was a moderator on a few other forums years ago. It’s a hard thankless job. It also got a few crazies I had to bounce off those forums for conduct rules follow me around to other forums to take shots. It has actually happened on this forum before they were bounced from here. Its much more fun to participate on this side of the forum rather than a moderator.

Simple Rules for not messing up your new BMW.

1. Always hand wash with clean mit and plenty of carwash shampoo.
Wash top to bottom and never use the same wash mit on the wheels as you do on your paint. Wheels and tires are to be treated as a separate step from the rest of your car.
2. Never wipe down a dry paint job. Use detailing spray and a clean microfiber towel. Even if it’s just lite dust, you will scratch the paint. So resist the urge to dust your dry paint. Use a quality detailing spray every time. You can even use it on your windows for quick touch ups when your vehicle isn’t really dirty. Buy it by the gallon. Adams sells their detail spray by the gallon for a good price.

3. Stock up on high quality microfiber towels. Wash them often. A lot of micro scratches come from contaminated bath towels that look clean. I was guilty of this a lot.

4. If you can’t wash your car properly, don’t touch it. This sounds counterintuitive but you will cause more damage doing a half assed wash job at a public car wash facility. I struggled with leaving my brand new Carbon Black 50i in the parking lot at a resort on vacation. It was covered in 5 states worth of salt and dirt. Had I tried to wash it without all the proper equipment, I would have scratched and left water spots all over the paint.
“No touch” car washes do in fact touch and will leave marks. Avoid the temptation.

Thanks Mystro!

#4 above really resonates. After taking delivery and even after PPF installation, I was waiting to get the Ceramic coating done, and I took a lot of steps to baby the car and keep it garaged and out of the spring rains here. It had a very light film of dust on it, and I didn't dare wash it, LOL.

Now after intensive reading and watching a fair amount of tutorial videos, I am aware of the primary dos and don'ts; and am much better prepared and confident to care for it properly. Also the PPF + Ceramic helps me get a little bit more peace of mind.

Can understand the challenges of being a mod and also you not wanting to do it
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #51
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
This is still true. But you can apply specific products as an overcoat on top to enhance and layer the gloss or improve hydrophobic properties. Typically the latter, more as a maintenance coat. Some products need this only 1-2 a year.

So for general maintenance you should be fine with just a regular cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #52
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check out this PPF.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589327

Also, I have a question regarding Leather protection

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1601229
Check out the interior cleaning thread in this forum. Only 9 or 10 threads in this section, so even if search shows empty, you can browse the other threads. Lot of threads with nuggets and gems buried in. Lot of good suggestions from the forum regulars here.
I am using BMW leather care products based on suggestions here for initial care and UV protection .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #53
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

X54th, sorry I didn't realize that this thread hasn't been moved yet. So here you go: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590316
Appreciate 1
X54TH897.50
      04-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #54
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I have CB too as you can't tell the gloss difference where PPF is. Check out the review linked in my signature for pictures, mine is from Suntek
Thanks AR. I have checked your review, liked it
Yes, you can’t tell the gloss difference indeed. And if it passes muster on the most demanding color , then should be good for the other colors too. One exception is white, where any color balance issues or tint in the film will show up, and of course one has to be careful with yellowing over time with some older films due to sub-optimal adhesives . Props to forum user skalberti for documenting these very clearly in one of the earlier PPf comparison posts.

STEK and Suntek were my top two choices.
Will be picking up my car next week and then post review, pics etc in a couple of weeks.
White can be tricky but yes the PPF is impossible to really see unless you know where to look. It was the same way on my Navarra Blue Audi and on a Pythonic Blue X3 recently. For PPF you get what you pay for
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 04:22 PM   #55
JillX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
I am a no PFF but I am also a concourse type of guy where I like to bring out the max in gloss and depth. I also know how to professionally apply touch up paint to where you won’t see my stone chips. If my 50i was my everyday ride in the northeast then I would PPF. What sucks in our area is when I see a PPF pocked up with marks and not be able to correct it without a new film application so there is always a trade off.

[IMG]https://oi272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/TheMystro1971/BMW%20X5%2050i%20M-Sport/C3F7959B-1E71-4508-8BD5-FC5FFC2E8440.png[/IMG]
What do you mean by your last sentence? Considering PPF
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 04:23 PM   #56
JillX5M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That would be a long post but I will try to give you a idea. Every paint is different but for example like metallic paint touch up like Carbon Black must be shaken up every 2 minutes as you use it as the metalic flakes won’t properly be suspended. This is key with touching up metalic paints. Then when you apply the metalic paint, you want the surface to be as level to the ground as possible. This may require you to partially open your hood if that is where your chip is. This will allow the metalic flake to stay suspended evenly in the chip. Fill the chip in stages until it is above the factory coat. Then when it’s partially dry (45 minutes depending on temp/humidity) you use a fine paint cleaner like P21 paint cleaner/prep or similar gloss and lightly start to buff with the tips of your finger tip through a micro fiber cloth. This way you can feel the raised touch up paint. This also allows you to control the pressure. Over a few minutes of buffing, you will gradually feel the paint chip buff down to flush with the factory paint. Do this right and you can blend a new cars paint with matching touch up paint and you won’t even be able to find it in sun light. You can’t rush the buffing and never use anything more abrasive than a super fine finishing paint cleaner. If you can feel the chip, then you can see it. Buff it to where you can’t feel the chip with your finger tips and most cases it will be invisible.

I learned a lot of the tricks competing for decades in PCA concourse events and some in Hershey. I use to teach a detailing course a few times a [...]
Do you think getting a PPF is worth it? I just got a brand new X5 and it’s one week old and already has a rock chip!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 05:55 PM   #57
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillX5M View Post
Do you think getting a PPF is worth it? I just got a brand new X5 and it’s one week old and already has a rock chip!
if you don’t like rock chips, ppf is the only protection (other than garaging your car forever heehee). as mentioned in the other thread you asked me, getting the front end done should prevent most rock chips since that’s where most debris hits first (front bumper, hood). may consider A pillars, front fenders, and rocker panels, too. personally, I used ppf to not only protect, but to transform the OEM paint from glossy to matte.

“worth it” can be interpreted differently. according to my detailer, I started a trend for this look in my area. it’s been 2.5 years since installation, and I still get head-turns and compliments. to me, that’s “worth it.”

note you will absolutely get no ROI on these products, so if it’s money you’re willing to spend for the protection it provides, go for it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 08:17 PM   #58
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

With frequent summer highway driving… and the bugs on the front, front PPF is worth it for me as I could put a little more elbow grease into taking the bugs off compared to if they were directly on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 10:38 AM   #59
JillX5M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
if you don’t like rock chips, ppf is the only protection (other than garaging your car forever heehee). as mentioned in the other thread you asked me, getting the front end done should prevent most rock chips since that’s where most debris hits first (front bumper, hood). may consider A pillars, front fenders, and rocker panels, too. personally, I used ppf to not only protect, but to transform the OEM paint from glossy to matte.

“worth it” can be interpreted differently. according to my detailer, I started a trend for this look in my area. it’s been 2.5 years since installation, and I still get head-turns and compliments. to me, that’s “worth it.”

note you will absolutely get no ROI on these products, so if it’s money you’re willing to spend for the protection it provides, go for it!
Someone told me that PPF will eventually crack from sun and the edges will start to get dirt. Does anyone have knowledge on this?

I just got my first rock chip on my 2 week old brand new X5 and was looking into PPF but now I am not too sure. We keep our cars forever.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 12:17 PM   #60
cptcolo
2023 X5 45e Owner
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
How many people have or going to get PPF wrapped? Who feels its not worth the cost?
We were highly considering it, but not sure now after someone said its not worth it for the cost. Ours is mineral white.
I would say PPF is definitely worth it. Rock chips are fairly common in the Valley on the highways. Good PPF really does protect well from rock chips. Instead of getting a little ding in your paint it hits the plastic sheet and essentially does nothing. The PPF is designed to be 'self-healing' when it get / exposed to sun.

I got XPEL Ultimate Plus (8mm, gloss) installed on my X5 at XPEL Scottsdale. I would probably go with a good 3rd party shop over getting it done at the dealer. So far it has held up very well to many rock chips I have encountered on highway drives and road trips.

I would recommend getting the full front done including the A pillers and area just above the front windshield, as shown in the attached picture. I personally opted to also get the side rockers and rear bumper done, but I don't think that is absolutely necessary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 12:21 PM   #61
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillX5M View Post
Someone told me that PPF will eventually crack from sun and the edges will start to get dirt. Does anyone have knowledge on this?

I just got my first rock chip on my 2 week old brand new X5 and was looking into PPF but now I am not too sure. We keep our cars forever.
that was probably the case several years ago but current products are higher quality. I have a 10y warranty with mine
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 02:21 PM   #62
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I’ve had the PPF (xpel) on the X5 for 4 years and it still looks amazing. Just turned in the 2018 M2 that had the full front end and we just picked up the new M2 today from the installer completing the PPF and tint (35%). The guys at SRS Tinting (Mississaug location) did an amazing job. Took 2.5 days…1.5 days install and a day under the heat lamps.
Attached Images

2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4647.50
LDT1536.50
      04-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #63
CdnBMW
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i AW M-Sport

Quote:
I’ve had the PPF (xpel) on the X5 for 4 years and it still looks amazing. Just turned in the 2018 M2 that had the full front end and we just picked up the new M2 today from the installer completing the PPF and tint (35%). The guys at SRS did an amazing job. Took 2.5 days…1.5 days install and a day under the heat lamps.
X54th, Congrats on your new M2 which looks AWESOME and is well protected by the PPF.
2018 440i xDrive Gran Coupe AW-Ind Opal White,Merino Dash,MPPSK
2012 X5d AW (Sold)
Appreciate 1
X54TH897.50
      04-30-2023, 03:16 PM   #64
traron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 Msport S40i

I have had PPF on my Cadillac for seven years and my Corvette for eight years and they still looks as good as they did when it went on. My cars are garaged so don’t know how that has played but I will absolutely have my X5 entire front done next week as soon as it arrives. You can get a little more aggressive when washing the nose and not worry about damaging the paint and where I live in Florida there are a lot of bugs that sometimes are tough to remove.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:42 PM   #65
DeepFly52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 (991.2), x45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcolo View Post
... I would recommend getting the full front done including the A pillers and area just above the front windshield, as shown in the attached picture. I personally opted to also get the side rockers and rear bumper done, but I don't think that is absolutely necessary.
Just got my X5 and it will be my third car getting Xpel (I standardly get full front/headlights/side mirrors). This time I'm also probably going to have the A pillars and above windshield done, as I've noticed those areas are also prone to chip based on how my other cars fared.

Also I noticed with the X5 I brush up against the rear bumper often when loading/unloading, so will probably be a good idea to have that wrapped as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 11:24 AM   #66
JennyMac
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Worth it? Yes. I have ppf and ceramic coating on mine.

If you lease, it may not be worth it.
How much did you pay for both?
Appreciate 0