BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Closed Thread

04-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #23
sportsguyred
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
Simple decision. According to expert reviewer, DougDeMuro, the BMW X5 scores 62 on the DougScore, whereas the Kia Telluride scores 50.

so according to the "expert reviewer" the Teluride is rated higher than X5 based on daily driver features.

The BMW X5 is better for weekend "fun".

Wonder how perception would change if it had a Range Rover "badge" on it.... BMW X5 is a great vehicle that I migth still buy, just shocking how some people judge based on a "badge" than actual features, comfort, and overall value. I will bet not one person on this thread has test driven a Telluride but they somehow have informed opinion even before driving it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #24
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguyred View Post
so according to the "expert reviewer" the Teluride is rated higher than X5 based on daily driver features.

Wonder how perception would change if it had a Range Rover "badge" on it.... BMW X5 is a great vehicle that I migth still buy, just shocking how some people judge based on a "badge" than actual features, comfort, and overall value. I will bet not one person on this thread has test driven a Telluride but they somehow have informed opinion even before driving it.
Doug DeMuro is entertaining but he is no expert and he is biased to the brands he likes. MB,RR is a few he gushes over and gives unforgivable issues a free pass. Then on his BMW X5 review, he glanced over major features and tries to stereo type what model appeals to a demographic. I found his attitude on the dismissive side with the X5 review. He gushed over most of the features on his X7 review yet the exact features were on the X5 and they barely got a mention and the X5 review was done a few months earlier.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #25
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
Simple decision. According to expert reviewer, DougDeMuro, the BMW X5 scores 62 on the DougScore, whereas the Kia Telluride scores 50.

Not everyone buys cars because of the badge. I quite like Kia, they are doing very well since they released the Stinger.

However it's the small things that you don't realise at first that you appreciate in a more luxurious car. The location of arm rests and how they contour to your arm, the position of cup holders, air vents, buttons, door handles, ergonomics of the steering wheel, gear shifter. They are things that you don't notice at a dealership that BMW designers and engineers put a lot of thought into. Your money goes into the things that you aren't really going to notice in photos or at first, but you will appreciate when you realise it.
Appreciate 1
Rondi143.50
      04-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
His ranking categories are not logical. Each person has their own factors that they consider important in their vehicle. For instance, many people like to have decent acceleration everyday and not just weekends. In fact, some people consider it a safety issue if they have a vehicle that accelerates too slowly. Another would be comfort, I personally enjoy it on weekends also.

As far as value goes, no one buys a BMW, or any other comparable make, for value as defined by the utility of the vehicle. Where the value is in a BMW is the entire package of comfort, handling, technology, enjoyment, etc.

I see nothing wrong with cross-shopping a Telluride if your main objective is to buy an SUV not a performance/luxury oriented SUV. Kia/Hyunda has made great strides in their quality and have some nice offerings.

It may be best to list your top 5 or so reasons (and/or required features) for wanting an SUV and then see which vehicles fit those. It could be that both will meet them so then you can make your choice on aesthetics, budget, extra features, etc. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 1
kleo12.00
      04-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #27
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

A automotive badge prestige is earned with 100 years of time, quality designs, reputation and achievements. You are buying the history and philosophy of all that manufacture believes.
Much like a upcomming city college that can say they are as good as a ivory league school like Harvard but unless they have 300 years worth of achiements of excellence, their claims hold very little weight.
Auto enthusiast don’t buy a German brand because of showing off their income status. It’s the standards of what these manufactures produce and the historical evolution that got them to the top.
Appreciate 3
Rondi143.50
      04-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #28
drilling
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda CRV & BMW X5

You must be high.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #29
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

The vehicle comparison is certainly legitimate, given the criteria used. What isn't legitimate is berating and belittling someone for asking the question. That's not what this forum is for and it's found all too often.

Answer questions, relate personal experiences, commiserate on problems, and above all be helpful and otherwise support fellow members. That's why we're here.
Appreciate 11
LexxM31697.50
stein_325i25076.00
jimv0326.00
JBG23.50
Xtabi1698.50
smomin23311.00
      04-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #30
imfletcher
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘18XC90,‘13A8L->&#

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman535i View Post
The vehicle comparison is certainly legitimate, given the criteria used. What isn't legitimate is berating and belittling someone for asking the question. That's not what this forum is for and it's found all too often.

Answer questions, relate personal experiences, commiserate on problems, and above all be helpful and otherwise support fellow members. That's why we're here.
apparently asking people who've already gone through all the mental gymnastics required to buy a car for more money based on subjective things is not the right move. we're here because we love cars in ways most people don't, and that apparently makes people a little nuts.

anyway, i have some experience in these matters so here's my take. When i decided to quit my job and start a company, i sold a MB GL450 (3rd row version at the time) and Audi A8 and replaced them with a Kia Sorrento and Hyundai Genesis. I, too, was attracted to the low price and high-tech features. for the most part, it was ok. for a few months. the features are cool and you can justify it pretty easily.. However, the veneer is thin... cheap materials, odd things are terrible (the Kia had shit headlights. you forget how bad they used to be). Poor quality buttons and seats and stereos, hollow feeling, etc. it adds up. The real killer is the dealerships (this was 6 or 7 years ago). they are just not ready to deliver on a good experience.

Overall the Genesis wasn't too bad. it was quick and generally fun to drive. I didn't mind the full 3 year lease. The kia lasted a year before we sold and bought an Allroad.

In short, saving the money is a worthy cause. Everything mentioned is superficial and not really worth the price unless its worth the price to you. The Telluride looks good but i'd agree to at least give Jeep a shot (Had a grand cherokee for 3 years and liked it a lot). I have a X5 50i on order and sometimes wish i was just happy with "get me from A to B" transportation so i can save some $$...but people like that don't post on forums like this so perhaps not the right audience
Appreciate 3
LexxM31697.50
BigHunk269.50
      04-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #31
Gcsave
Rep
Drives: X5M

May be as second vehicle?

I'm waiting on a X5 4.0 M Sport with 3rd row because I'd like a fun car to drive that also hauls the family. That said, it's a compromise since it's not the most sporty car (my current ride is 2015 M5), but it's also not the most spacious.
Maybe the Telluride is a good car to buy for general duties, and hauling kids really trashes the car. Instead of an X5, one can consider a modestly equipped Telluride and an M2 Competition. That's the best of both worlds. For sure the Telluride is more practical than the X5, and the M2 will be definitely a better driver.
My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #32
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

I would never buy a Korean car. Just remember if you buy one plan on keeping it till it dies because they have no resell value at all.
      04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #33
PBMX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Telluride, as others have said, lots of nice features on paper, and definitely main advantage over X5 would be if we needed to regularly use a 3rd row, but we have our Odyssey for that. Driving dynamics and ride, while good for the Telluride, aren't really comparable to an X5 and its RWD based platform, turbo inline 6, etc.

We considered going for the SX with Prestige, but as others also noted, sharp expected depreciation and overall quality of materials and ride left us going with a well-discounted X5 lease for the moment. No regrets here.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13178.00
      04-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #34
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfletcher View Post
I, too, was attracted to the low price and high-tech features. for the most part, it was ok. for a few months. the features are cool and you can justify it pretty easily.. However, the veneer is thin... cheap materials, odd things are terrible (the Kia had shit headlights. you forget how bad they used to be). Poor quality buttons and seats and stereos, hollow feeling, etc. it adds up.
That exactly sums up our 2016 KIA hybrid experience. It did make a perfect first car for our 17 year old though.
      04-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #35
RyBMW2
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, E70, 18 XC90

The Telluride's main competitors are the Pilot, Highlander, Atlas, etc. But there is nothing wrong with comparing it to an X5. As a customer, you are free to compare whatever makes and models you want. It's your money. But the X5 and Telluride are different. Most people think that Bimmers cost so much is because of the name. But that is not 100% true. Once you drive any BMW, you will immediately feel/see/experience the difference. This is the same for most of the luxury car makers. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #36
Badger37
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Just curious what people think of the Telluride now? I bought a 2021 Telluride and I love it! I did compare it to an x5 and would admit that the performance doesn’t come close.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 01:16 AM   #37
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger37 View Post
Just curious what people think of the Telluride now? I bought a 2021 Telluride and I love it! I did compare it to an x5 and would admit that the performance doesn’t come close.
Same opinion. It's not remotely in the same class. I could recommend it... if someone were shopping for a Pilot, Highlander, etc. But that someone is looking for a VERY different vehicle than a X5. Hell, even a Subaru Outback has leather, an infotainment system, etc. And a rear hatch for cargo space if you're really looking for that. Doesn't mean it's in the same class as a X3 even if you can save a lot of money.

It's not a serious discussion. It's more along the lines of someone's VERY early thought process when deciding on a new car. Do I want basic or luxury? Sedan or SUV? Really preliminary. It's not a real competitor at all. Not that it's a bad car. Just not remotely a close vehicle you would compare with a X5.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 02:42 AM   #38
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

FFS this is like comparing a Hyundai Coupe to a Ferrari

Nothing wrong with the Kia but there is simply no point comparing to a BMW. Reminds me of when people were comparing the Kia Stinger to some of the Ms and AMGs.
Appreciate 2
Al Pinã1839.50
      01-12-2021, 08:17 AM   #39
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Absurd. Not even in the same zip code.
have you even looked at or driven the Telluride? Obviously the X5 is better overall.

The Telluride has 99% of the same tech / features and in some cases beats the X5 (blind vision live video, heated/cooled 2nd row, captains chairs, more interior space/cargo).

I just said I was cross shopping it based on tech / feautures.

The driving / handling are not even close, but some people might actually prefer to save $30k and get 99% of the same features.
So based on what you say here, you consider driving/handling to be worth only 1/100 of the decision choice for a vehicle so you obviously prioritize other things. In that case, yes sure, buy the Kia.

For me that worth is > 50/100 so unless the price is astronomical (times 2) and makes the purchase impossible/unjustifiable I will always get the bimmer.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #40
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
A automotive badge prestige is earned with 100 years of time, quality designs, reputation and achievements. You are buying the history and philosophy of all that manufacture believes.
Much like a upcomming city college that can say they are as good as a ivory league school like Harvard but unless they have 300 years worth of achiements of excellence, their claims hold very little weight.
Auto enthusiast don’t buy a German brand because of showing off their income status. It’s the standards of what these manufactures produce and the historical evolution that got them to the top.
This quote has not aged well as BMW flushes their brand equity in the toilet like Henry Hill in Goodfellas.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      01-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #41
NavyGimp
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 G05

To be (embarrassingly) honest, when I was looking at getting a new SUV for the wife, I was considering the Telluride. Until I mentioned it to her and she almost laughed me out of the room saying that she did not want to drive a KIA. If she was getting a new car for a new position she had, she wanted to feel good about it. Obviously, the X5 blows away the Telluride and at the end of the day, some people prefer to have BMW in the garage instead of a KIA. I am one of them.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #42
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:

Please don't quote Doug Demuro of all people and expect any credibility for objectivity.

He is very popular but he makes clear that his rankings are more subjective than anything, so only of value to people that let others tell them what they like.

ETA - A Kia with a Range Rover badge is just an all round worse proposition - you give up German engineering, power, handling and feel factor in exchange for that million year warranty. Stick a RR badge on it and that warranty becomes a 3 year, worthless piece of paper that won't help you at all when the thing breaks down every Tuesday like RR's do. I can't see how that would help at all if I'm honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #43
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The X7 is a German Range Rover when optioned properly. Even more so than when BMW made LR/RR products during the history of the Marque that received the most notoriety for being unreliable and problematic. If you need the comfort, room and offroad capability the X7 is for you.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56283.50
      01-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #44
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Absurd. Not even in the same zip code.
+1 lol
Appreciate 0