BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Are you having trouble with your new X5?
It's a buggy mess!!! 19 21.59%
A few issues here and there, but nothing significant 42 47.73%
Smooth sailing. No problems at all. 27 30.68%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

11-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Anyone not having problems with their new X5?

Seems like there are a lot of early adopter bugs in the new X5. Anyone not having issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Smooth sailing here.
      11-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Does it count if I don't have it yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

So far I've only really had problems with CarPlay. The lane keep assist is very aggressive and is not practical on roads under construction.. it can try to pull you off the road to follow existing pavement joints. Other than that, the car itself and all the features seem to work fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Loving every minute in ours. No issues.
      11-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
So far I've only really had problems with CarPlay. The lane keep assist is very aggressive and is not practical on roads under construction.. it can try to pull you off the road to follow existing pavement joints. Other than that, the car itself and all the features seem to work fine.
You know you can adjust those settings in idrive. We turned ours down. Now it's a gentle guidance instead of a harsh pull.
      11-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
mjchernis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Seems odd that some folks would have problems and some not with the same car, the same phone, and the same IOS version. Makes me wonder if:

1) The software/hardware versions on the cars are different somehow
2) The folks not reporting the problems are not noticing them because they don't use all the features or have not spent enough time with the car.

3) Something else.

The problems are real and significant -- wish I could be in the camp with folks not having issues so wonder if there is another solution here.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
Sharen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0i

Tons of issues with CarPlay, aggressive steer intervention even though feature is turned off. Did I mention the car lock and i
doesn’t lock when it is suppose to? Called conceige 3-4, took it to service and now going back to the dealer today. They said it is a software issue. Enjoying the potential of car ..hate these bugs. For all the $$ what can I do? Give it back? Get a 2019 x6? What does BMW or the dealer do? Any advice is welcomed. My 2016 had not one issue...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Yep. Think we just need to stay on the dealers and keep it clear there are things that need to be fixed. Other than the wireless charging, I would think most of this stuff could be easily fixed by BMW in software — it works in my other cars so they know how it should work — the wireless charging may require more. The Apple Pay probably might require a fix from Apple and the charging heat issue could require a different charging pad.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjchernis View Post
Yep. Think we just need to stay on the dealers and keep it clear there are things that need to be fixed. Other than the wireless charging, I would think most of this stuff could be easily fixed by BMW in software — it works in my other cars so they know how it should work — the wireless charging may require more. The Apple Pay probably might require a fix from Apple and the charging heat issue could require a different charging pad.
I have the same software version as many others and do not share the wireless charging nor Apple Pay issues. FWIW, I have the executive package which has different cupholders and charging pad.
      11-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

16 days and so far no issues... Only complaint is the overly aggressive active steering which is now turned off
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post
16 days and so far no issues... Only complaint is the overly aggressive active steering which is now turned off
Is there an option to have the steering wheel vibrate instead? Less scary/invasive but serves the same purpose.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #13
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Is there an option to have the steering wheel vibrate instead? Less scary/invasive but serves the same purpose.
I have it shut off completely and the steering still vibrates if I make a lane change when it detects a car in my blind spot. It doesn't vibrate when I drift out of my lane otherwise or don't signal a lane change.

With it turned on, even on the lowest setting the steering is very forceful when it takes over. Its abrupt and very heavy to manually pull the steering back in your intended direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #14
mjchernis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Quote:
I have the same software version as many others and do not share the wireless charging nor Apple Pay issues. FWIW, I have the executive package which has different cupholders and charging pad.
Interesting.

I also have the Executive option and my iPhone XSMax triggers Apple Pay and overheats when using the charging pad.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Quote:
Interesting.

I also have the Executive option and my iPhone XSMax triggers Apple Pay and overheats when using the charging pad.
Sorry for your troubles.
      11-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #16
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have it shut off completely and the steering still vibrates if I make a lane change when it detects a car in my blind spot. It doesn't vibrate when I drift out of my lane otherwise or don't signal a lane change.

With it turned on, even on the lowest setting the steering is very forceful when it takes over. Its abrupt and very heavy to manually pull the steering back in your intended direction.
Great info - I haven’t seen/read quite that level of detail on the system yet. I’m not a big fan of unexpected/unpredicted steering and will be shutting that off before driving off the lot.

I think BMW will rethink this feature and maybe update the system to have an even “softer” steering setting and maybe more flexibility around how/when steering wheel vibrations can be used. Adding the option of (just) an audible signal might help as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #17
Zoltrix
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Yes, you can. The option can be either set to intervention, or just vibrate. In my case, it is set to vibrate for both blind spot alerts as well as lane departure.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      11-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Buckett76
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, set your lane departure warning to medium or early, but uncheck the box for steering intervention. Then go into your steering whee feedback and ensure that is turned on. This will create vibration but not have the car steer.

All sub menus are in the driving assistance menu.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      11-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Yes, you can. The option can be either set to intervention, or just vibrate. In my case, it is set to vibrate for both blind spot alerts as well as lane departure.
Ahhh - so the vibration is configurable too. Good stuff. At the end of the day, easy enough to tune the system to your liking.

But still... Seems to me the intervention mode, as currently tuned by BMW is so heavy handed as to be useless - even dangerous. I tried it during my test drive, fully expecting the result and was surprised how forceful the steering influence was.

If BMW is promoting - and charging extra for - the feature, they should at least make it useful/functional.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #20
Zoltrix
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Ahhh - so the vibration is configurable too. Good stuff. At the end of the day, easy enough to tune the system to your liking.

But still... Seems to me the intervention mode, as currently tuned by BMW is so heavy handed as to be useless - even dangerous. I tried it during my test drive, fully expecting the result and was surprised how forceful the steering influence was.

If BMW is promoting - and charging extra for - the feature, they should at least make it useful/functional.
Agreed. Steering intervention is very forceful and dangerous. I turned it off right after it almost threw me out of a highway when two lanes were merging. My use of that feature lasted a whole 15 mins It is far too flaky even for well laid out roads.

Vibration warning is nicely done, its intensity can be configured.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #21
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

Quote:
Agreed. Steering intervention is very forceful and dangerous. I turned it off right after it almost threw me out of a highway when two lanes were merging. My use of that feature lasted a whole 15 mins It is far too flaky even for well laid out roads.

It isn't dangerous if you have your hands on the wheel and are using it for what it is intended - driving assistance. This is a basic level 2 system that is really helpful on long interstate drives without a ton of traffic or road complexity. I just used it quite a bit on a long drive for Thanksgiving and I found it quite helpful. Does it need refinement - sure. Is it Tesla level - No. However I believe it will improve as more people use it and updates are provided. Overall the Driving Assistance Package Pro is a must have and it works reasonably well. To suggest it is flawed or unusable is hyperbole (unless of course there is something wrong with folks systems..which could be the case on early builds?)
Appreciate 1
Xeno315.00
      11-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #22
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
Quote:

It isn't dangerous if you have your hands on the wheel and are using it for what it is intended - driving assistance. This is a basic level 2 system that is really helpful on long interstate drives without a ton of traffic or road complexity. I just used it quite a bit on a long drive for Thanksgiving and I found it quite helpful. Does it need refinement - sure. Is it Tesla level - No. However I believe it will improve as more people use it and updates are provided. Overall the Driving Assistance Package Pro is a must have and it works reasonably well. To suggest it is flawed or unusable is hyperbole (unless of course there is something wrong with folks systems..which could be the case on early builds?)
It's dangerous. Lane departure intervention doesn't require either of the assistance packages. It almost caused me to crash on I-26 leaving the dealership. It's absolutely ridiculous. I pulled over and turned it off. It will never be turned back on.

Edit: you don't have driver assistance pro. You shouldn't weigh in on something you have no standing to discuss.