BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
liam4393
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06 X6

Electric Rear Tailgate

I have just taken delivery of a G05 in the UK. Having previously had E70 & F15 models, the car is a massive leap forward in comparison.

I have a question with regards to the rear electric tailgate. Should the bottom part now be electric also? In my car, you press the button on the top part of the bottom tailgate, but it just unlocks and you have to pull it down and push it back up, not opening or closing electronically. All videos online appear to show this as electric now. In fact a G05 model in my dealer showroom, which to my understanding was a basic model, had this electric feature. Is there an issue with my car, or is the bottom electric part an optional extra? First world problems I know!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam4393 View Post
I have just taken delivery of a G05 in the UK. Having previously had E70 & F15 models, the car is a massive leap forward in comparison.

I have a question with regards to the rear electric tailgate. Should the bottom part now be electric also? In my car, you press the button on the top part of the bottom tailgate, but it just unlocks and you have to pull it down and push it back up, not opening or closing electronically. All videos online appear to show this as electric now. In fact a G05 model in my dealer showroom, which to my understanding was a basic model, had this electric feature. Is there an issue with my car, or is the bottom electric part an optional extra? First world problems I know!!!!
Did u try pushing the button on the bottom tailgate, does it open it electronically ? I know there's a setting in iDrive as well that controls which tailgates to open with pushing the button...does seem off that u have to open the bottom one manually...doesn't sound normal to me
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam4393 View Post

Bottom part should open electrically/by itself with the push of the button on the lower tailgate portion. Alternatively, you can program the interior driver door button/keyfob to open the top only or both the top and bottom on button push.

Sounds like you lower tailgate has an issue if the on-lower-tailgate button is not causing it to subsequently open on its own.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It’s in the manual for this option.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
Oran
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

UK Tailgate

Hi
I've at the garage taking delivery of my x5 msport and only the top door opens electrically I don't think this is correct ??
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Do you overseas guys have this button on the lower tailgate? That button will lower it (and close it independently) and the button on the top one will close them both together if the bottom is open
Attached Images

04-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Just picked mine up in the UK and also expected lower tailgate to be electric but reading manual and looking on idrive menu it appears to only be with Comfort access?

Last edited by speuk; 04-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Do you overseas guys have this button on the lower tailgate? That button will lower it (and close it independently) and the button on the top one will close them both together if the bottom is open
I have that button plus one next to it to adjust height of car but no electric operation of lower tailgate. Do you have comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
Oran
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Just picked mine up in the UK and also expected lower tailgate to be electric but reading manual and looking on idrive menu it appears to only be with Comfort access?
Hi

Collected mine today the brochure states twin electric tailgate operation !! I caused big issues in Stoke today as all the sale guys were under the impression that it's standard but the technicians said no it's only standard with comfort access ??? I think this is false advertising as other forums people have complained
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran View Post
Quote:
Hi

Collected mine today the brochure states twin electric tailgate operation !! I caused big issues in Stoke today as all the sale guys were under the impression that it's standard but the technicians said no it's only standard with comfort access ??? I think this is false advertising as other forums people have complained
Just checked and the standard uk spec on bmw site states "tailgate automatic two part".
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #11
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X5M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Just checked and the standard uk spec on bmw site states "tailgate automatic two part".
i have comfort access and both opens automatically. if I press the button outside of the car only the upper part opens and then I can press the button on the lower part to have that electronically open. If I move my foot under the bumber both opens automatically. I must say I like this solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi

Tailgate, automatic, two part, top-hinged section which can be opened seperately and manual bottom-hinged section

Quote from the UK site..typical Bmw ambiguity but key part is manual bottom-hinged section.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:40 AM   #13
realgoggy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M-Sport & 2021 118i

I was wondering this as well. So manual bottom part it is?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:25 AM   #14
DickyS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Here's the related manual section from my Sep 2019 build for the UK market. The example car in the showroom did not have Comfort Access and the lower tailgate was manual, and the salesman pointed this out to me. I ordered with Comfort Access and my lower tailgate is powered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:06 AM   #15
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I got caught out with this very issue. I have a a late 19 model and do not have comfort access, and as such the lower tailgate is manual. It is described very badly on the BMW website as it infers that it is automatic, but in the U.K. you have to have comfort access to get automatic tailgate bottom part.
Appreciate 0