BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Dash help

So I have searched the forum and can't find any definitive info regarding the visual difference between the sensatec dash and the normal dash in the x5 m sport. I know the normal dash is plain and the leather dash is stitched but does the sensatec dash look like the normal one, the leather one or totally different to either? I have a UK build M Sport with the 40i engine on order and my order sheet specifically states sensatec instrument panel. Thanks in advance all and apologies if this has already been covered and my search abilities are a little rubbish!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Leather dash has a soft feel to it has a premium looking stitching.

Sensatec is plastic with a textured pattern feel to it that it supposed to look like leather.
Appreciate 1
AdamL40.50
      04-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Here are two images I have;

Wife has the full leather, I have the Plastic. My dash isn't hard feeling like a normal plastic dash is but is not squishy like the leather... Hope any of this helps.

FYI, here in AZ I have seen leather dash get destroyed in no time so this is kinda a controlled test to see how well they hold up to the sun over the years for us. I also still looking for the right way to treat it best, might just use OEM stuff to make it simple.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tenac; 04-04-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
So I have searched the forum and can't find any definitive info regarding the visual difference between the sensatec dash and the normal dash in the x5 m sport. I know the normal dash is plain and the leather dash is stitched but does the sensatec dash look like the normal one, the leather one or totally different to either? I have a UK build M Sport with the 40i engine on order and my order sheet specifically states sensatec instrument panel. Thanks in advance all and apologies if this has already been covered and my search abilities are a little rubbish!
This is close up photo of sensa tec stitched on mine. imho it's more durable than real leather
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AdamL40.50
      04-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The X5 leather dash uses a high grade Nappa leather. There is a noticeable difference between the Sensatec stitched and Nappa stitched. You also get high grade Nappa leather on the doors with the leather dash option.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
peter11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I believe that @Tenac photos show it correctly for the MSPORT only (which I think is the OP's question). After some sleuthing and inconsistency on BMW's part, a number of us came the conclusion that on the MSPORT if you do not order leather dash, you get the plastic/soft dash shown in Tenac's photos above. If you order leather, you get the leather dash shown in those photos. Those commenting about Sensatec, that option is not available on the MSPORT. The stitched Sensatec dash is only on the xline.

Long story short, on the x line you get a stitched looking dash (sensatec) for no charge. On MSPORT, you get a soft plastic dash for no charge. The leather upgrade for MSPORT is worth it in my opinion as it results in the stitched dash as well as stitched leather at the top of the doors. The plastic interior is a cheaper look.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I agree with @peter11. The look of the leather dash is Amazing!!!!! I did not order mine but am happy with the plastic so far, but would of ordered the leather for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
I believe that @Tenac photos show it correctly for the MSPORT only (which I think is the OP's question). After some sleuthing and inconsistency on BMW's part, a number of us came the conclusion that on the MSPORT if you do not order leather dash, you get the plastic/soft dash shown in Tenac's photos above. If you order leather, you get the leather dash shown in those photos. Those commenting about Sensatec, that option is not available on the MSPORT. The stitched Sensatec dash is only on the xline.

Long story short, on the x line you get a stitched looking dash (sensatec) for no charge. On MSPORT, you get a soft plastic dash for no charge. The leather upgrade for MSPORT is worth it in my opinion as it results in the stitched dash as well as stitched leather at the top of the doors. The plastic interior is a cheaper look.
I think this is slightly different in the UK. In the brochure M Sport is listed as coming as standard with sensatec instrument panel (excluding 30D). My order form specifically states sensatec so will have to see what it arrives with! Thanks for all the helpful comments though, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
peter11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
I think this is slightly different in the UK. In the brochure M Sport is listed as coming as standard with sensatec instrument panel (excluding 30D). My order form specifically states sensatec so will have to see what it arrives with! Thanks for all the helpful comments though, much appreciated.
Of course! BMW has to make it differently for every market. Sorry I missed that detail that you're in the UK.
Appreciate 0