BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

For those with DHP, is it ON all the time? Or only in Sport?

On my e70 with Adaptive Drive, there was a "Sport" button below the shifter that would activate the anti-roll technology.

On my F15, Dynamic Handling was ON all the time, regardless of what "mode" you were in (comfort/eco/sport).

Question for those with the G05 and DHP, is the anti-roll technology active in every mode, automatically?

Or are you required to choose "Sport" mode?

Or is it something that can be configured in the Suspension section of the "Individual" portion of each drive mode (comfort/sport/eco)?

Thanks in advance.

Going to test drive one with DHP and want to know if it is something I need to specifically engage (like the e70), if it the anti-roll bars are active all the time, or if I need to specify something in the settings/drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Well the DHP consists of IAS, M Sport brakes, Active dampers, EBS (electronic body stabilization) etc so yes they are always working together. I mean realistically look at what the package has and think about your question. I know this might seem like I'm being an a**hole but I'm genuinely curious as to why you think it wouldn't be on.

Anyways, active dampers are just that, in comfort they're softer, adaptive is a mix of comfort/sport, sport is well sport. Body control is always working and seems more aggressive in sport but that could be an illusion. IAS gives the car a weird feel for the record, it's like the rear is sliding out but it's not, IAS (4 wheel steering) takes some getting used to.

DHP is worth it for body control in my opinion. I would've liked an air suspension with the electronic body control but active dampers are just fine. The ride a little harder while handling better.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Well the DHP consists of IAS, M Sport brakes, Active dampers, EBS (electronic body stabilization) etc so yes they are always working together. I mean realistically look at what the package has and think about your question. I know this might seem like I'm being an a**hole but I'm genuinely curious as to why you think it wouldn't be on.

Anyways, active dampers are just that, in comfort they're softer, adaptive is a mix of comfort/sport, sport is well sport. Body control is always working and seems more aggressive in sport but that could be an illusion. IAS gives the car a weird feel for the record, it's like the rear is sliding out but it's not, IAS (4 wheel steering) takes some getting used to.

DHP is worth it for body control in my opinion. I would've liked an air suspension with the electronic body control but active dampers are just fine. The ride a little harder while handling better.

Because on the e70 with Adaptive Drive (which is essentially what DHP is) there was a button below the shifter labeled "sport" that had to be activated to engage the anti-roll bar technology. Otherwise, the car behaved like every other e70. I am most interested in keeping the X5 flat while cornering (the active, anti-sway bar technology), rather than active steering (which I know, and like).

On the G05 there are 3 different drive modes. You kind of answered the question by stating that the "body control seems more aggressive in sport".

Would you mind putting your car into Comfort but then go into your "comfort individual" settings and set the suspension to "sport" and see if you notice a difference in how flat the car stays while cornering? Thanks.

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Because on the e70 with Adaptive Drive (which is essentially what DHP is) there was a button below the shifter labeled "sport" that had to be activated to engage the anti-roll bar technology. Otherwise, the car behaved like every other e70. I am most interested in keeping the X5 flat while cornering (the active, anti-sway bar technology), rather than active steering (which I know, and like).

On the G05 there are 3 different drive modes. You kind of answered the question by stating that the "body control seems more aggressive in sport".

Would you mind putting your car into Comfort but then go into your "comfort individual" settings and set the suspension to "sport" and see if you notice a difference in how flat the car stays while cornering? Thanks.

Hope that makes sense.
It stays flat through corners in all modes the only difference is how stiff your suspension is in sport vs comfort. The E70 is two generations old now so times have changed quite a bit. I'll take some hard corners in comfort and then sport and see if I notice any body roll changes again. It's hard when the suspension is softer/harder to really get a true idea without seeing it from the outside.

There's no comfort individual mode, you have Comfort, Adaptive, Eco Pro, Eco Pro-Individual, Sport, Sport+, Sport Individual
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
My 50 w/DHP is being updated at the dealer, and my loaner is a 740i. Seriously, my SUV out performs and out handles this sedan any day of the week. You get really used to the anti-roll support that comes with DHP to where you miss it when you don't have it - in any vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Jim E.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individ: 99 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
That is not true.

ARS and EDC are on all the time. When the button is off it is in "comfort" mode and when on it is on "sport" mode.

When "sport" is on the damping program for the shocks changes to a stiffer setting.

BMW describes the VDC system as follows:

"System Network

The VDC system is a mechatronic system consisting of electronic, hydraulic and
mechanical subsystems. These can be subdivided by function as follows:

• Detection of input signals

– Sensors for ride heights and rates of vertical acceleration to permit detection of
the driving state and the prevailing road conditions
Control element to enable the driver to set the damping program (comfort, sport). This is located on, and electrically integrated in, the gear selector switch.
– Steering angle (output by the SZL control unit via F-CAN) for preemptive detection of cornering
– Lateral acceleration (out by the DSC sensor via F-CAN) for detection of cornering
– Vehicle speed or wheel speeds (output by the DSC control unit via F-CAN)"

"The VDC controller adjusts the basic damping force level in accordance with the damping program selected by the driver (comfort/sport). Nevertheless, high damping forces are always applied at individual wheels in critical driving situations, e.g. despite the fact
that the comfort program is selected."

This is exactly my experience with my E70 the day I picked it up from the dealer through today.

I'm disappointed that the G05 doesn't allow you to combine the air suspension with ARS but I haven't done enough research to see how they engineered it.

Last edited by Jim E.; 04-04-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
That is not true.

ARS and EDC are on all the time. When the button is off it is in "comfort" mode and when on it is on "sport" mode.

When "sport" is on the damping program for the shocks changes to a stiffer setting.

"System Network

– Sensors for ride heights and rates of vertical acceleration to permit detection of
Control element to enable the driver to set the damping program (comfort, sport). This is located on, and electrically integrated in, the gear selector switch.
– Steering angle (output by the SZL control unit via F-CAN) for preemptive detection of cornering
– Lateral acceleration (out by the DSC sensor via F-CAN) for detection of cornering

"The VDC controller adjusts the basic damping force level in accordance with the damping program selected by the driver (comfort/sport). Nevertheless, high damping forces are always applied at individual wheels in critical driving situations, e.g. despite the fact

This is exactly my my experience with my E70 the day I picked it up from the dealer through today.

I'm disappointing that the G05 doesn't allow you to combine the air suspension with ARS but I haven't done enough research to see how they engineered it.
I spoke with BMW and confirmed ARS (electronic body control) is always on with the DHP. The level varies depending on drive mode and how hard you're cornering. This matches up with how it feelsl when you drive
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
My 50 w/DHP is being updated at the dealer, and my loaner is a 740i. Seriously, my SUV out performs and out handles this sedan any day of the week. You get really used to the anti-roll support that comes with DHP to where you miss it when you don't have it - in any vehicle.
I have ARS in my E70 and F16 but I don't miss it now.
I replaced F16 with Cayenne and Cayenne has very well controlled body roll without ARS.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
That is not true.

"System Network

This is exactly my my experience with my E70 the day I picked it up from the dealer through today.

I'm disappointing that the G05 doesn't allow you to combine the air suspension with ARS but I haven't done enough research to see how they engineered it.
You know it's funny, in Cayenne, PDCC can only be optioned with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post
You know it's funny, in Cayenne, PDCC can only be optioned with air suspension.
I looked at getting a Cayenne and thought that was pretty funny. Porsches are fantastic but I'd rather have a 911 over a Cayenne if I were to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #11
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:

Ah, yes, it's good to be back on the BMW forums and see there are still plenty of self-righteous sanctimonious assholes lurking around here.
      04-18-2021, 12:42 AM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Quote:

Ah, yes, it's good to be back on the BMW forums and see there are still plenty of self-righteous sanctimonious assholes lurking around here.
let's be civil, I'm here to help people not turn this into Reddit
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
I have it on my F15 X5 and it is always working. Never have to turn anything on.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #14
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Quote:

let's be civil, I'm here to help people not turn this into Reddit
Pot calling the kettle black, huh 🙄