BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

PPF, yay or nay?

How many people have or going to get PPF wrapped? Who feels its not worth the cost?
We were highly considering it, but not sure now after someone said its not worth it for the cost. Ours is mineral white.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I have the full front (a pillars, forward including headlights and mirror caps) then my rockers. The rest is ceramic coated and it's worth the price.

Full front is generally $1700-2000
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Worth it? Yes. I have ppf and ceramic coating on mine.

If you lease, it may not be worth it.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I hummed and hawed over it on the F15 and didn't end up getting. It was Alpine White and got 1 stone chip on the hood. A little touch and buff and it was fine.

I've heard horror stories on black cars.

I'm getting another Alpine White and won't do ppf. Won't regret saving the money.

Maybe if i has a different color my decision might be different.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am a no PFF but I am also a concourse type of guy where I like to bring out the max in gloss and depth. I also know how to professionally apply touch up paint to where you won’t see my stone chips. If my 50i was my everyday ride in the northeast then I would PPF. What sucks in our area is when I see a PPF pocked up with marks and not be able to correct it without a new film application so there is always a trade off.

Appreciate 3
X51990.00
      04-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
bmwmgens
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 LimeRock M2 - F80 '16 6MT

I consider myself an amateur detailer and I'm a "Nay"...
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
MystroX56289.50
X54TH899.00
BigSanj68.50
X51990.00
R24X50.00
X3MESQ49.00
      04-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmgens View Post
Love your set up.
One of my classic 911’s was used on Griots catalog cover years ago when their products were less distributed. I love their orbital buffers. I use both sizes. They are still going strong. I am more P21 and Adams these days.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I aspire to have my garage look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Love your set up.
One of my classic 911's was used on Griots catalog cover years ago when their products were less distributed. I love their orbital buffers. I use both sizes. They are still going strong. I am more P21 and Adams these days.
care to post a picture
Appreciate 2
X3MESQ49.00
      04-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
I also know how to professionally apply touch up paint to where you won’t see my stone chips
Tell us about that! How do you do that?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

From my experience with and without a clear bra, I say yay. One of my M3's got the front sandblasted in one day without any PPF...it was Jerez and showed every little blemish. A clear bra would've saved me. I love the self healing properties. I use Suntek.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
That would be a long post but I will try to give you a idea. Every paint is different but for example like metallic paint touch up like Carbon Black must be shaken up every 2 minutes as you use it as the metalic flakes won’t properly be suspended. This is key with touching up metalic paints. Then when you apply the metalic paint, you want the surface to be as level to the ground as possible. This may require you to partially open your hood if that is where your chip is. This will allow the metalic flake to stay suspended evenly in the chip. Fill the chip in stages until it is above the factory coat. Then when it’s partially dry (45 minutes depending on temp/humidity) you use a fine paint cleaner like P21 paint cleaner/prep or similar gloss and lightly start to buff with the tips of your finger tip through a micro fiber cloth. This way you can feel the raised touch up paint. This also allows you to control the pressure. Over a few minutes of buffing, you will gradually feel the paint chip buff down to flush with the factory paint. Do this right and you can blend a new cars paint with matching touch up paint and you won’t even be able to find it in sun light. You can’t rush the buffing and never use anything more abrasive than a super fine finishing paint cleaner. If you can feel the chip, then you can see it. Buff it to where you can’t feel the chip with your finger tips and most cases it will be invisible.

I learned a lot of the tricks competing for decades in PCA concourse events and some in Hershey. I use to teach a detailing course a few times a year at our PCA events. Over the years you pick up so many techniques with what works with certain colors and paint types. I still compete but only in top-side events and less competitive shows. I am getting too old crawling around with q-tips for weeks before events.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-04-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 8
      04-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

care to post a picture
My garage has a fully carpeted side just for getting cars ready for shows. It’s easier on my knees when crawling around and warmer in the winter when I heat the garage up. I have so many products and tools that it looks like a working detailing shop with all kinds of ugly lights hanging down (different lume and color tempature). Side lights projecting all the way around that garage bay and multiple vacuums mounted with 15’ hoses. It’s a working bay for detailing. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Controlled clutter. Everyday dirty cars don’t ever go in this bay. Only washed and semi detailed vehicle ready for the next step in polishing/waxing or inside detailing. Some guys have a woodworking shop as a hobby, I have a auto detailing shop for my enjoyment. My wife laughs when she sees me running the Shark vacuum on my garage bay carpet every so often.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-04-2019 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-04-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
That would be a long post but I will try to give you a idea. Every paint is different but for example like metallic paint touch up like Carbon Black must be shaken up every 2 minutes as you use it as the metalic flakes won’t properly be suspended. This is key with touching up metalic paints. Then when you apply the metalic paint, you want the surface to be as level to the ground as possible. This may require you to partially open your hood if that is where your chip is. This will allow the metalic flake to stay suspended evenly in the chip. Fill the chip in stages until it is above the factory coat. Then when it’s partially dry (45 minutes depending on temp/humidity) you use a fine paint cleaner like P21 paint cleaner/prep or similar gloss and lightly start to buff with the tips of your finger tip through a micro fiber cloth. This way you can feel the raised touch up paint. This also allows you to control the pressure. Over a few minutes of buffing, you will gradually feel the paint chip buff down to flush with the factory paint. Do this right and you can blend a new cars paint with matching touch up paint and you won’t even be able to find it in sun light. You can’t rush the buffing and never use anything more abrasive than a super fine finishing paint cleaner. If you can feel the chip, then you can see it. Buff it to where you can’t feel the chip with your finger tips and most cases it will be invisible.

I learned a lot of the tricks competing for decades in PCA concourse events and some in Hershey. I use to teach a detailing course a few times a year at our PCA events. Over the years you pick up so many techniques with what works with certain colors and paint types. I still compete but only in top-side events and less competitive shows. I am getting too old crawling around with q-tips for weeks before events.
Thank you, I appreciate that. Sounds good...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #14
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Quote:

care to post a picture
My garage has a fully carpeted side just for getting cars ready for shows. It's easier on my knees when crawling around and warmer in the winter when I heat the garage up. I have so many products and tools that it looks like a working detailing shop with all kinds of ugly lights hanging down (different lume and color tempature). Side lights projecting all the way around that garage bay and multiple vacuums mounted with 15' hoses. It's a working bay for detailing. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Controlled clutter. Everyday dirty cars don't ever go in this bay. Only washed and semi detailed vehicle ready for the next step in polishing/waxing or inside detailing. Some guys have a woodworking shop as a hobby, I have a auto detailing shop for my enjoyment. My wife laughs when she sees me running the Shark vacuum on my garage bay carpet every so often.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

care to post a picture
My garage has a fully carpeted side just for getting cars ready for shows. It's easier on my knees when crawling around and warmer in the winter when I heat the garage up. I have so many products and tools that it looks like a working detailing shop with all kinds of ugly lights hanging down (different lume and color tempature). Side lights projecting all the way around that garage bay and multiple vacuums mounted with 15' hoses. It's a working bay for detailing. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Controlled clutter. Everyday dirty cars don't ever go in this bay. Only washed and semi detailed vehicle ready for the next step in polishing/waxing or inside detailing. Some guys have a woodworking shop as a hobby, I have a auto detailing shop for my enjoyment. My wife laughs when she sees me running the Shark vacuum on my garage bay carpet every so often.
that's awesome, if I had the space I'd be doing the same. It's funny how fast you grow into a house that's much bigger than you need only to realize there isn't enough room. I'm planning on moving in the next year or so, once that's done I'm going to design a workshop of sorts for my various hobbies.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #16
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
That would be a long post but I will try to give you a idea. Every paint is different but for example like metallic paint touch up like Carbon Black must be shaken up every 2 minutes as you use it as the metalic flakes won't properly be suspended. This is key with touching up metalic paints. Then when you apply the metalic paint, you want the surface to be as level to the ground as possible. This may require you to partially open your hood if that is where your chip is. This will allow the metalic flake to stay suspended evenly in the chip. Fill the chip in stages until it is above the factory coat. Then when it's partially dry (45 minutes depending on temp/humidity) you use a fine paint cleaner like P21 paint cleaner/prep or similar gloss and lightly start to buff with the tips of your finger tip through a micro fiber cloth. This way you can feel the raised touch up paint. This also allows you to control the pressure. Over a few minutes of buffing, you will gradually feel the paint chip buff down to flush with the factory paint. Do this right and you can blend a new cars paint with matching touch up paint and you won't even be able to find it in sun light. You can't rush the buffing and never use anything more abrasive than a super fine finishing paint cleaner. If you can feel the chip, then you can see it. Buff it to where you can't feel the chip with your finger tips and most cases it will be invisible.

Here's a good video that I used to learn touchups.

Appreciate 2
X54TH899.00
X51990.00
      04-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #17
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I'm another one who would miss my "therapy" buffer too much and relieving a little stress while working to get a perfect shine on my Mineral White X5. PPF would take all the fun out of it for me.
      04-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #18
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
I'm a yay.

Everyone of my cars gets a full front coverage including lights and mirrors. In the past I had 3M Pro and last 4 cars have been done in Xpel Ultimate. Our cars are on the highway all the time as well as taking a trip to the cottage once every two weeks. In the past before PPF the front took a beating from winter pitting (salt / sand) and the summer with insects. I recall when I had to wash one of our Non PPF cars I hated detailing the front of the car because the finish was so deteriorated. I have no issues now and makes for a quicker wash.

2 out of the 4 cars are leased but I still do them. Granted they are leased and I could get the appearance protection for the same cost as PPF and not worry about it but I like it when they look great all the time. Plus I may end up buying them come the end of the lease.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 2
Denk1006.00
      04-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #19
bmwmgens
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 LimeRock M2 - F80 '16 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I'm another one who would miss my "therapy" buffer too much and relieving a little stress while working to get a perfect shine on my Mineral White X5. PPF would take all the fun out of it for me.
One hundred percent this.....the question to consider is:
How much enjoyment and satisfaction do you obtain from a great looking, clear coated paint job vs. how good do you feel knowing that the paint is protected by a film even though you've sacrificed the looks.

Based on what's more important to you (and if you can live with a few rock chips as part of regular wear); then that's what you go with...

For me it's "no PPF" but take it with a grain of salt because it's coming from a guy who removes his wheels to wash them and cleans the rubber trim remnants from under his hood
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
wrickem2101.00
X51990.00
denniss391.50
      04-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
How much enjoyment and satisfaction do you obtain from a great looking, clear coated paint job vs. how good do you feel knowing that the paint is protected by a film even though you've sacrificed the looks.

Based on what's more important to you (and if you can live with a few rock chips as part of regular wear); then that's what you go with...

For me it's "no PPF" but take it with a grain of salt because it's coming from a guy who removes his wheels to wash them and cleans the rubber trim remnants from under his hood
beautiful ride. what X5 do you have on order?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I spend time conditioning all my rubber door seals and vacuuming a perfect pattern on all the carpets. I also wax all my air intake grills (bugs don’t sick to them). It’s a sickness.
We got to hang out.

My wife drove her black Audi A4 through a no touch car wash and I nearly lost my mind. I had to show her all the swirl marks I have to now buff out. The Audi is a outside car but still is forbidden to go through a public car wash.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2019 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #22
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I spend time conditioning all my rubber door seals and vacuuming a perfect pattern on all the carpets. I also wax all my air intake grills (bugs don’t sick to them). It’s a sickness.
We got to hang out.
what do you use to condition the door seals?
Appreciate 0