BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #23
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
what do you use to condition the door seals?
I have tried them all. The best stuff to give a satin finish, not attract dust and hold up for a long time is simple CRC 05074 Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant. I was marked down in a concourse years ago from having my rubber seals too glossy by using a rubber conditioner for the tires. It also attracted road dust and caused more issues than its worth.
On a new vehicle like ours, go over every seal from the hood to the trunk on all sides of the rubber seal. Use one of your wife’s old socks and put it on your hand and pinch the seal as you go over it. Keep spraying the sock. (Warning don’t spray around your vehicle as it will leave silicon micro dots on the windows/paint. Take a few steps out side the garage to spray the sock.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074-Hea...gateway&sr=8-6

Under the hood go over those exposed rubber hoses. Gives them the perfect satin show winning gloss and protects them from heat. Keep away from any belts.
Appreciate 5
      04-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
what do you use to condition the door seals?
I have tried them all. The best stuff to give a satin finish, not attract dust and hold up for a long time is simple CRC 05074 Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant. I was marked down in a concourse years ago from having my rubber seals too glossy by using a rubber conditioner for the tires. It also attracted road dust and caused more issues than its worth.
On a new vehicle like ours, go over every seal from the hood to the trunk on all sides of the rubber seal. Use one of your wife's old socks and put it on your hand and pinch the seal as you go over it. Keep spraying the sock. (Warning don't spray around your vehicle as it will leave silicon micro dots on the windows/paint. Take a few steps out side the garage to spray the sock.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074-Hea...way&sr=8-6
I appreciate the link and tips! I'm not a huge fan of glossy tires when I condition mine. I usually go over them to wipe off the excess and dull the shine a little bit. Having shiney door seals would be odd, I'm glad there's something I can use because it's starting to get hot here.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the link and tips! I'm not a huge fan of glossy tires when I condition mine. I usually go over them to wipe off the excess and dull the shine a little bit. Having shiney door seals would be odd, I'm glad there's something I can use because it's starting to get hot here.
For your tires, for the best high quality satin look. Use Lexol E301126000 Vinylex Protectant. Doesn’t attract dust and is a concours perfect finish. It holds up very well in duration. Tire dressing builds up a film of road grime. This won’t.
I have been down the road before and the perfect show winning tire dressing has to be rich in depth but not glossy or wet looking. Satin is what we strive for. Lexol Vinylex is also perfect for black satin plastics like plastic engine covers, bumpers and plastics like on Jeep Wrangler fenders. This stuff needs to be in everyone’s kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-E301126...y&sr=8-1-spell

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #26
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
For your tires, for the best high quality satin look. Use Lexol E301126000 Vinylex Protectant. Doesn’t attract dust and is a concours perfect finish. It holds up very well in duration. Tire dressing builds up a film of road grime. This won’t.
I have been down the road before and the perfect show winning tire dressing has to be rich in depth but not glossy or wet looking. Satin is what we strive for.

https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-E301126...8;sr=8-1-spell
Thank you again. I agree on the tire shine getting messy relatively fast, I don't use tire shine but rather a trim dressing which dries glossy but non-tacky. This seems like a much better option especially with all of the dust here. Lately I've been rather unhappy with my leather condition (I used one from Griots primarily) because it left some weird white residue on my seats which I had to clean off. Any recommendations for a matte finishing one too?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #27
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
I have been down the road before and the perfect show winning tire dressing has to be rich in depth but not glossy or wet looking. Satin is what we strive for. Lexol Vinylex is also perfect for black satin plastics like plastic engine covers, bumpers and plastics like on Jeep Wrangler fenders. This stuff needs to be in everyone’s kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-E301126...y&sr=8-1-spell
Good stuff, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Thank you again. I agree on the tire shine getting messy relatively fast, I don't use tire shine but rather a trim dressing which dries glossy but non-tacky. This seems like a much better option especially with all of the dust here. Lately I've been rather unhappy with my leather condition (I used one from Griots primarily) because it left some weird white residue on my seats which I had to clean off. Any recommendations for a matte finishing one too?
Ive been using this for my leather. seem to do a good job on oyster dakota in our old 4
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
Appreciate 3
MystroX56280.00
X51990.00
      04-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #29
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Don’t care for Griots leather care at all. Too greasy.
I experimented for the forum with some BMW leather conditioner and they were very respectable. For our new leather they a work well for normal maintenance. I still think Sonax (282141) Premium Class Leather Care Cream is the one. I like it on our dash, doors and seats. It’s very light and absorbs easily leaving the new leather with a satin finish flow. Doesn’t attract dust and that is hard to find with leather care on areas like dash/doors. Sonax (281141) Premium Class Leather Cleaner Is the best I have used on all my white leathers for removing dye transfer or grime. It’s light and floats the dirt to the surface when using it in a lather. Both are German products.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-282141-...G8AW8Z7VEE5MXC

The BMW products are surprisingly good.

Everyone needs these valet disposable seat covers. Quick and easy to slide over your fine leather seats when you are grimy. I use them when I wash my car so I can get in and out without getting anything on the seats. I put these on my seats anytime my vehicle goes in for service. My dealers liked them so much, they became standard use for all high end vehicle in for service. Keep a few in the vehicle as emergency seat covers for you or the kids with food spills at restaurants where their clothes are sticky or any kind of emergencies.
They are so cheap and effective, you will wonder why you didn’t use them for years.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 5
      04-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #30
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Don’t care for Griots leather care at all. Too greasy.
I experimented for the forum with some BMW leather conditioner and they were very respectable. For our new leather they a work well for normal maintenance. I still think Sonax (282141) Premium Class Leather Care Cream is the one. I like it on our dash, doors and seats. It’s very light and absorbs easily leaving the new leather with a satin finish flow. Doesn’t attract dust and that is hard to find with leather care on areas like dash/doors. Sonax (281141) Premium Class Leather Cleaner Is the best I have used on all my white leathers for removing dye transfer or grime. It’s light and floats the dirt to the surface when using it in a lather. Both are Herman products.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-282141-...G8AW8Z7VEE5MXC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

The BMW products are surprisingly good.
looks like I'm ordering some more cleaning stuff today. The car will be in Dallas for a week or two getting the paint fixed and some issues looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #31
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

One more product if you have older leather seats. Leatherique is the top of the line conditioner for older leather or negelected leather seats. It will do miracles to leather you thought would never come back.
It’s a bit of a process but nothing else comes close to the end results. Must do it on warm days as it has to sit for awhile on the leather. It will float up decades of dirt out of the pours of the leather. I have seen ink pen marks on 930 tan seats that has been there for 30 years float to the surface.

It is so respected in the industry. It’s been demonstrated on many automotive tv shows. If your leather is more than 4 years old and looking grungy then this is the stuff.

https://www.autogeek.net/le32ozkit.html

I think the moderator should move most of the threads on this topic over to the cleaning/detailing forum.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
X51990.00
      04-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #32
bmwmgens
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 LimeRock M2 - F80 '16 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmgens View Post
One hundred percent this.....the question to consider is:
How much enjoyment and satisfaction do you obtain from a great looking, clear coated paint job vs. how good do you feel knowing that the paint is protected by a film even though you've sacrificed the looks.

Based on what's more important to you (and if you can live with a few rock chips as part of regular wear); then that's what you go with...

For me it's "no PPF" but take it with a grain of salt because it's coming from a guy who removes his wheels to wash them and cleans the rubber trim remnants from under his hood
I spend time conditioning all my rubber door seals and vacuuming a perfect pattern on all the carpets. I also wax all my air intake grills (bugs don’t sick to them). It’s a sickness.
We got to hang out.

My wife drove her black Audi A4 through a no touch car wash and I nearly lost my mind. I had to show her all the swirl marks I have to now buff out. The Audi is a outside car but still is forbidden to go through a public car wash.
Waxing the grill air intakes is genius! Why didn't I think of that?

Going to leave work early today to get started on that!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #33
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Waxing the grill air intakes is genius! Why didn't I think of that?

Going to leave work early today to get started on that!

Let the OCD madness begin. How do you sleep at night? Got to do it. If your not using caps over your license plate screws, make sure all 4 are indexed and aligned. Same goes with valve stem caps with logos on them.

I am asked to be a PCA concourse judge at these events and air intakes either in the front or rear as on a 911 are always over looked.

Some of this level of cleaning seems crazy to some but if you maintain a higher level of detailing, it’s easy to maintain. It’s a lifestyle. Letting your ride go for a month then it becomes overwhelming and not fun anymore. Detailing a clean well kept vehicle is like giving a hot oil massage to a beautiful woman. It’s not really work.
This is why every spring I give a detailing class at my local European Indy for our PCA chapter. Getting the cars out from their winter slumber and ready for shows and track events.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #34
Pandabmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB ZCP M4

Quote:
I consider myself an amateur detailer and I'm a "Nay"...
You are no amateur detailer! Look at your setup! Wow! 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #35
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
One more product if you have older leather seats. Leatherique is the top of the line conditioner for older leather or negelected leather seats. It will do miracles to leather you thought would never come back.
It’s a bit of a process but nothing else comes close to the end results. Must do it on warm days as it has to sit for awhile on the leather. It will float up decades of dirt out of the pours of the leather. I have seen ink pen marks on 930 tan seats that has been there for 30 years float to the surface.

It is so respected in the industry. It’s been demonstrated on many automotive tv shows. If your leather is more than 4 years old and looking grungy then this is the stuff.

https://www.autogeek.net/le32ozkit.html

I think the moderator should move most of the threads on this topic over to the cleaning/detailing forum.
+1 on the leatherique, first day after buying my CPO 540i I coated all the leather in the conditioner. Weird process where you apply the conditioner prior to cleaner but nothing else works like this stuff for leather that has been neglected. It's a winner.
Appreciate 1
X51990.00
      04-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #36
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I use this stuff called Bugslide on my motorcycle and its super rare for me to see bugs sticking to it. Curious if this product would be a good use on the front of the X5?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #37
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Mystro, I really think you should be one of the Mods for the Detailing forum I've been trigger happy with the "appreciate" button, but many of those posts are of genuine informational value. Fantastic and thank you! Any links to your classes online?

Sorry this is off-topic, but what do you recommend for the BMW rubber floor liners?

I am a detailing rookie and will be practicing my skills on my old Mazda before I apply any of that to the new X5, which is being prepped with both PPF and Ceramic coating. I will start with simply sticking to keeping the car clean whilst not messing it up, which should initially suffice with the treatments applied upfront.

OP:
Yes to the PPF for me. I chose to do the entire front , including the A-pillars, mirrors, the roof in front of the moon-roof, door-cups, side rockers, the illuminated M-strips on all 4 doors (!! ), the B-pillars and the exit points of the rear doors and the bottom of the rear. Just aiming for high-traffic points or points at the front which are most likely to contact bugs and/or rock chips. Used a very glossy STEK film for this. No reduction in gloss compared to standard paint. I have Carbon Black.

The whole exterior will be covered with Ceramic coating. I am getting a coating with Crystal Serum Ultra (pro application only) + two top coats of EXO V4 for the relatively longer lifetime and general ease of washing, maintenance and warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #38
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandabmw View Post
You are no amateur detailer! Look at your setup! Wow! ��
+1, I am gawking at your setup, bmwmgens. Wow!
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #39
bmwmgens
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 LimeRock M2 - F80 '16 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X519 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandabmw View Post
You are no amateur detailer! Look at your setup! Wow! 👍
+1, I am gawking at your setup. Wow!
Much appreciated guys. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #40
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Mystro, I really think you should be one of the Mods for the Detailing forum I've been trigger happy with the "appreciate" button, but many of those posts are of genuine informational value. Fantastic and thank you! Any links to your classes online?

Sorry this is off-topic, but what do you recommend for the BMW rubber floor liners?

I am a detailing rookie and will be practicing my skills on my old Mazda before I apply any of that to the new X5, which is being prepped with both PPF and Ceramic coating. I will start with simply sticking to keeping the car clean whilst not messing it up, which should initially suffice with the treatments applied upfront.

OP:
Yes to the PPF for me. I chose to do the entire front , including the A-pillars, mirrors, the roof in front of the moon-roof, door-cups, side rockers, the illuminated M-strips on all 4 doors (!! ), the B-pillars and the exit points of the rear doors and the bottom of the rear. Just aiming for high-traffic points or points at the front which are most likely to contact bugs and/or rock chips. Used a very glossy STEK film for this. No reduction in gloss compared to standard paint. I have Carbon Black.

The whole exterior will be covered with Ceramic coating. I am getting a coating with Crystal Serum Ultra (pro application only) + two top coats of EXO V4 for the relatively longer lifetime and general ease of washing, maintenance and warranty.
I have CB too as you can't tell the gloss difference where PPF is. Check out the review linked in my signature for pictures, mine is from Suntek
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #41
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have CB too as you can't tell the gloss difference where PPF is. Check out the review linked in my signature for pictures, mine is from Suntek
Thanks AR. I have checked your review, liked it
Yes, you can’t tell the gloss difference indeed. And if it passes muster on the most demanding color , then should be good for the other colors too. One exception is white, where any color balance issues or tint in the film will show up, and of course one has to be careful with yellowing over time with some older films due to sub-optimal adhesives . Props to forum user skalberti for documenting these very clearly in one of the earlier PPf comparison posts.

STEK and Suntek were my top two choices.
Will be picking up my car next week and then post review, pics etc in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #42
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks AR. I have checked your review, liked it
Yes, you can’t tell the gloss difference indeed. And if it passes muster on the most demanding color , then should be good for the other colors too. One exception is white, where any color balance issues or tint in the film will show up, and of course one has to be careful with yellowing over time with some older films due to sub-optimal adhesives . Props to forum user skalberti for documenting these very clearly in one of the earlier PPf comparison posts.

STEK and Suntek were my top two choices.
Will be picking up my car next week and then post review, pics etc in a couple of weeks.
One thing I didn't mention in my post was the difference I experienced in clarity between the 3M Pro vs Xpel Ultimate. My experience between the two is that I found Xpel to have exceptional clarity in comparison to the 3M and in addition Xpel came with 10 year warranty vs 7 years from 3M.

Also, if you are going down the path of PPF on an Alpine White I would suggest you go full hood and fenders versus partial. The lines on the partial are noticeable.

So the combination of a partial and not so clear PPF on an Alpine White car will be a disappointment.
Appreciate 1
X51990.00
      04-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #43
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Wrap Detailer

I use this Xpel Cleaner and Chemical Guys Wrap Detailer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #44
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
One thing I didn't mention in my post was the difference I experienced in clarity between the 3M Pro vs Xpel Ultimate. My experience between the two is that I found Xpel to have exceptional clarity in comparison to the 3M and in addition Xpel came with 10 year warranty vs 7 years from 3M.

Also, if you are going down the path of PPF on an Alpine White I would suggest you go full hood and fenders versus partial. The lines on the partial are noticeable.

So the combination of a partial and not so clear PPF on an Alpine White car will be a disappointment.
Thanks.

Makes sense regarding lighter colors.
I have got a carbon black with partial STEK PPF and CSU coating, with claimed 10 year and 9 year warranty ratings, respectively. I take both with a grain of salt and am keeping a healthy dose of skepticism. Time will tell how well it holds up and also on how well I maintain it. Let’s see.
Appreciate 0