BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Oran
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

UK Tailgate

Quick question to UK owners, I collected my x5 MSport today when I was being shown around it I noticed the bottom section of the tailgate was manual ?? When I pointed this to the Genius he said oh yes looks like a problem Technical said no it's a option extra ?? Big question who's correct ? X5 brochure says twin electric tailgate as standard ????
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran View Post
Quick question to UK owners, I collected my x5 MSport today when I was being shown around it I noticed the bottom section of the tailgate was manual ?? When I pointed this to the Genius he said oh yes looks like a problem Technical said no it's a option extra ?? Big question who's correct ? X5 brochure says twin electric tailgate as standard ????
Electric twin tailgate is defo standard. Dealer is full of rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
frank19x5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

This is discussed here. It appears that it had been an option available through the comfort access package, but now it’s standard.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1575758
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
Dazrob
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M SPORT 45e

My MSport has the twin electric tailgate but I have the comfort package on my car. My car went in to get some work done on it and we were given an M50d which didn’t have the twin electric tailgate, the M50d didn’t have the comfort package. I thought the electric twin tailgate was a standard feature but maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:56 AM   #5
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Yep lower tailgate is manual unless you have comfort access

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_3058

Last edited by speuk; 04-06-2019 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 03:47 AM   #6
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Yep lower tailgate is manual unless you have comfort access

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_3058
Not true. Comfort access only adds in the foot swipe opening motion. The lower tailgate in the x5 is powered as standard. The link to Realoem was showing the soft close auto lower tailgate which is an optional extra. If the lower portion is not opening and closing electronically at the touch of a button something is wrong or it has been disabled in settings.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #7
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

So BMW genius were useless. I am wondering whether the opening and closing of the lower section is manual but when you code the top section it still closes the bottom with it due to an internal mechanism. I.e the lower section is not electric but the mechanism causes it to close automatically with the top. Anyway hopefully someone will be able to clear this up!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

I think it has to be programmed for both sections to open, certainly doesn't in video below:

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I think it has to be programmed for both sections to open, certainly doesn't in video below:

That isn't a g05
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
Not true. Comfort access only adds in the foot swipe opening motion. The lower tailgate in the x5 is powered as standard. The link to Realoem was showing the soft close auto lower tailgate which is an optional extra. If the lower portion is not opening and closing electronically at the touch of a button something is wrong or it has been disabled in settings.
True- The link shows additional parts for Comfort access and Soft Close. Different part numbers depending on Comfort Access or soft close. Parts 2 and 4 are not present unless you have Comfort Access. I've just inspected mine and unlike to main tailgate there are no power cables to the lower struts which assist/ dampen the opening/closing.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True- The link shows additional parts for Comfort access and Soft Close. Different part numbers depending on Comfort Access or soft close. Parts 2 and 4 are not present unless you have Comfort Access. I've just inspected mine and unlike to main tailgate there are no power cables to the lower struts which assist/ dampen the opening/closing.
Interesting. Does the lower tailgate still close automatically before the upper when you close the top?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #12
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting. Does the lower tailgate still close automatically before the upper when you close the top?
Not sure my I don't hsve Comfort Access so my lower tailgate is manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #13
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

There is a setting in iDrive which determines what opens and closes when you press the button in the car and also on the key (i.e. both or just top). If there is a button on the tailgate, you are pressing it, and nothing is happening...then that sounds broken!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:59 AM   #14
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
There is a setting in iDrive which determines what opens and closes when you press the button in the car and also on the key (i.e. both or just top). If there is a button on the tailgate, you are pressing it, and nothing is happening...then that sounds broken!
That's what I thought. I can't see the lower part being non electric on uk spec cars without comfort access and electric on cars with comfort access. If there was a difference it would have to state it on the website under the specs. As it happens all it states on the website is that comfort access allows hands free tailgate opening. I have ordered a uk m sport car without comfort access but it hasn't been delivered yet so can't check.

What we need is someone from the UK with an M Sport car without comfort access to confirm whether the lower tailgate is electrically operated or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:13 AM   #15
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I thought. I can't see the lower part being non electric on uk spec cars without comfort access and electric on cars with comfort access. If there was a difference it would have to state it on the website under the specs. As it happens all it states on the website is that comfort access allows hands free tailgate opening. I have ordered a uk m sport car without comfort access but it hasn't been delivered yet so can't check.

What we need is someone from the UK with an M Sport car without comfort access to confirm whether the lower tailgate is electrically operated or not.
So just read the owners manual in detail. Page 94; if you haven't got comfort access lower tailgate is definitely manually operated only. The upper portion still opens and closes on both the key and button inside the car but only if lower section is in the correct position. Shame on bmw for not making it clearer and I am a little disappointed since my non comfort access car has already completed build but hey not the end of the world and one less thing to go wrong I suppose. Shout out to the brits who pointed this out earlier in the thread and sorry I didn't listen!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #16
WAHF80M3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hoping this isn't the case with Australian delivered M50d's as well. I pick mine up Saturday and assumed it was standard 😵
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #17
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAHF80M3 View Post
Hoping this isn't the case with Australian delivered M50d's as well. I pick mine up Saturday and assumed it was standard 😵
I know it is a bit rubbish of bmw. I thought the comfort pack only gave you the swipe foot opening but apparently not.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
Jacobispas
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 30d M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, got my X5 M sport delivered 2 weeks ago. I live in Romania but I to had the idea that the lower Power Tailgate comes standard. My dealer said that here in Europe it is an option that is part of the Comfort Access package. I didn't know this and so I missed out on the lower Power Tailgate. Which pissed me off. I'm waiting for a possible retrofit to be released.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #19
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
So just read the owners manual in detail. Page 94; if you haven't got comfort access lower tailgate is definitely manually operated only. The upper portion still opens and closes on both the key and button inside the car but only if lower section is in the correct position. Shame on bmw for not making it clearer and I am a little disappointed since my non comfort access car has already completed build but hey not the end of the world and one less thing to go wrong I suppose. Shout out to the brits who pointed this out earlier in the thread and sorry I didn't listen!!!
I was disappointed for a few hours but soon realised it was not the end of the world. I don't often open the lower section and it is so easy to close l realised it wasn't worth another thought.

For those interested I think it would be an easy parts retrofit other than the coding. It might be as easy as adding the VO code for Comfort access but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was disappointed for a few hours but soon realised it was not the end of the world. I don't often open the lower section and it is so easy to close l realised it wasn't worth another thought.

For those interested I think it would be an easy parts retrofit other than the coding. It might be as easy as adding the VO code for Comfort access but who knows.
Speuk, does the lower tailgate have to be supported when you open it or does it have dampers so you can let it drop open under its own weight?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #21
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Press button and it unlatches, then pull it open and dampers lower it nicely to open position so no need to support it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Press button and it unlatches, then pull it open and dampers lower it nicely to open position so no need to support it.
Legend thanks for that. Feel a lot happier now. Car has been built and will be in the uk end of may but as I am exporting it to Germany I can only drive it in the uk for two months before registering it there. That means I can't pick it up until sep. the wait is killing me lol.
Appreciate 0