BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Phone numbers through iDrive?

So, in my previous X5s, I was able to search for a business and would be given the address as well as the phone number, which I could call. Used this all the time for things like restaurant reservations. When I search for a business now, I seem to only get the address. Am I missing some way to get the phone number too?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
So, in my previous X5s, I was able to search for a business and would be given the address as well as the phone number, which I could call. Used this all the time for things like restaurant reservations. When I search for a business now, I seem to only get the address. Am I missing some way to get the phone number too?
Have you tried "Hey BMW...?" and asking for a phone number for the business? It works for me.
      04-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Have you tried "Hey BMW...?" and asking for a phone number for the business? It works for me.
Thanks, I'll give it another try. I tried that recently and had a pretty unhelpful exchange:

"Hey BMW, what is the phone number of Sister's Thai?"

iDrive displays a list of its results, including the correct result

I see #2 is correct, so I say "#2" to iDrive's query to select a number from the list.

iDrive says "Okay, calling Starbucks"

Starbucks wasn't even one of the results. Even more annoying, oddly, is that it didn't even attempt to call Starbucks. It just did nothing. I tried manually clicking on the results but then the entry was entered into the nav.

Anyway, I'll give it another try. Thanks for letting me know it's supposed to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Thanks, I'll give it another try. I tried that recently and had a pretty unhelpful exchange:

"Hey BMW, what is the phone number of Sister's Thai?"

iDrive displays a list of its results, including the correct result

I see #2 is correct, so I say "#2" to iDrive's query to select a number from the list.

iDrive says "Okay, calling Starbucks"

Starbucks wasn't even one of the results. Even more annoying, oddly, is that it didn't even attempt to call Starbucks. It just did nothing. I tried manually clicking on the results but then the entry was entered into the nav.

Anyway, I'll give it another try. Thanks for letting me know it's supposed to work.
I'll be happy to help out and share how interact with iDrive to return the best matching info for my query. Send me a PM.
      04-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks!

I tried a few things yesterday like "Hey BMW...

what is the phone number of
can I have the phone number for
please call

Nothing worked. I then called BMW Genius. The first genius I spoke with said whether a number is there depends on whether the company provides it. Terribly dumb answer.

I next tried looking up a restaurant in the POI under the Nav menu. If you drill down to the correct category, you can get to a place where you can filter results, including by name. This helps. If you select the restaurant from there, the phone number is displayed and you can call the restaurant. Apparently the numbers are provided (see first genius above). Problem solved but it takes 12 steps instead of just using Hey BMW. Annoying.

So, I called BMW Genius back to let them know. Second Genius I spoke with said this is a known problem and people have been complaining about it.

Anyway, thought I'd share the results of a little digging. If anyone has a better solution, please post.
Appreciate 0