01-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

BMW NA December Sales Fall 35.9%

Found this article on Forbes.com.

Quote:
The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported December sales of 21,626 vehicles, a decrease of 35.9 percent over the 33,761 vehicles sold in December 2007. The BMW Group also reported a 2008 sales volume of 303,190 vehicles, down 9.7 percent, compared to 335,840 vehicles in 2007.

Commenting on the 2008 result, Jim O'Donnell, President of BMW of North America, LLC said:

"Low consumer confidence and tight credit was a double whammy in '08 making it a year we'd all like to forget. One bright spot for us was a December of reasonable sales and gaining share in the premium market for the full year. This is a foundation for our 2009 plan of keeping high value leasing and retail financing and introducing 10 new or significantly refined vehicles in the next 24 months that showcase our classic dynamic values and impressive technology that contributes to our class leading efficiency. This will help manage our way through the immediate turmoil but we'll have an equal focus on doing more of the right things that set us up for the market's return."
Source 1: http://www.forbes.com/prnewswire/fee...__NY55428.html

Quote:
The Munich, Germany, company, which sells both BMW and MINI cars, said that last month it sold 21,626 vehicles, a decrease of 35.9 percent from the 33,761 vehicles sold in the year-earlier period.

Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 40.2 percent in December for a total of 18,060, compared with 30,199 reported in the year-earlier month. MINI USA reported December sales of 3,566 automobiles, virtually the same as the 3,562 cars sold in December 2007.
Source 2: http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/...ap5880804.html
      01-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

They need to offer 0.9 on 07 CPO so I can get my 335i already!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
They need to offer 0.9 on 07 CPO so I can get my 335i already!
+1!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

I guess a positive from this is that BMW did increase their market share.
      01-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
I guess a positive from this is that BMW did increase their market share.

Yes, but I think it also indicates BMW's new direction, which is more and more towards luxury as opposed to pure sport. Another indication of this would be the new Z4's weight gain in addition to a more luxuious interior and additional creature comforts and features.

I don't particularly like BMWs new direction. The only 2009 car I would even consider is the M3. After that car goes the way of turbos I'm done with new BMWs.
      01-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Yes, but I think it also indicates BMW's new direction, which is more and more towards luxury as opposed to pure sport. Another indication of this would be the new Z4's weight gain in addition to a more luxuious interior and additional creature comforts and features.

I don't particularly like BMWs new direction. The only 2009 car I would even consider is the M3. After that car goes the way of turbos I'm done with new BMWs.
what are you surprised by it or something? the 3 series has been getting bigger, heavier, and softer with every new generation since the e30. not to mention uglier and more expensive. they've also been filled with more and more technology, useless amenities like idrive, heated seats, and silly nannies and knick knacks that true car enthusiasts dont care about.

BMW's haven't been all about "pure sport" since the e30 m3 came out. if you're looking for a sports car i can reccomend a porsche cayman, lotus elise. those cars are punishing and will give a car enthusiast exactly what he/she wants. stay away from any new audi, bmw, nissan, inifniti, acura, or any of the perceived sports car brands. because they're not making sports cars any more, they are making luxo fatass overpriced POS's. not that acura or infiniti ever made sports cars in the first place.

but you can't blame BMW. they are simply giving the american consumer what they want. the american consumer is not concerned with driving experience whatsoever. well they are, but to them, driving experience is being able to fiddle with their idrive navigation system while driving and talking on their cell phone and drinking their coffee and eating their bagle and shifting using their silly paddles all at the same time.

bmw is not what it was in the 70's through 90's. if they were, they would have gone bankrupt by now.

but back on topic, gotta love the reccession. keeping people who shouldn't be in a BMW in the first place from getting one. if you can't afford it, don't get it. seems like a pretty simple concept for me. hopefully the economy stays in the shitter for a long time so that all the crooks and theives go bankrupt for taking advantage of the less fortunate and shoving home mortgages on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
what are you surprised by it or something? the 3 series has been getting bigger, heavier, and softer with every new generation since the e30. not to mention uglier and more expensive. they've also been filled with more and more technology, useless amenities like idrive, heated seats, and silly nannies and knick knacks that true car enthusiasts dont care about.

BMW's haven't been all about "pure sport" since the e30 m3 came out. if you're looking for a sports car i can reccomend a porsche cayman, lotus elise. those cars are punishing and will give a car enthusiast exactly what he/she wants. stay away from any new audi, bmw, nissan, inifniti, acura, or any of the perceived sports car brands. because they're not making sports cars any more, they are making luxo fatass overpriced POS's. not that acura or infiniti ever made sports cars in the first place.

but you can't blame BMW. they are simply giving the american consumer what they want. the american consumer is not concerned with driving experience whatsoever. well they are, but to them, driving experience is being able to fiddle with their idrive navigation system while driving and talking on their cell phone and drinking their coffee and eating their bagle and shifting using their silly paddles all at the same time.

bmw is not what it was in the 70's through 90's. if they were, they would have gone bankrupt by now.

but back on topic, gotta love the reccession. keeping people who shouldn't be in a BMW in the first place from getting one. if you can't afford it, don't get it. seems like a pretty simple concept for me. hopefully the economy stays in the shitter for a long time so that all the crooks and theives go bankrupt for taking advantage of the less fortunate and shoving home mortgages on them.
good point, but I don't agree with the evolution on the looks of 3 series. While the E46 to E90 transition is debatable on which model looks better. The E46 definitely looks better than the E36.
      01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Wow that does not bode well.