01-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #23
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edventure View Post
I'm glad this post came up. I've been very disappointed with my headlight performance - 4 weeks into ownership of an M50D - It has the adaptive LED lights and they aren't a patch on the lights I had in my Volvo XC90
I think, unfortunately they have been dumbed down for the US market. Maybe it’s possible to recode...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #24
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Quote:
I'm glad this post came up. I've been very disappointed with my headlight performance - 4 weeks into ownership of an M50D - It has the adaptive LED lights and they aren't a patch on the lights I had in my Volvo XC90
I think, unfortunately they have been dumbed down for the US market. Maybe it’s possible to recode...
If the two of you are discussing turning anti-dazzle back on in US, then yes, that can be coded, search the forum.
      01-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #25
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
If the two of you are discussing turning anti-dazzle back on in US, then yes, that can be coded, search the forum.
I'm pretty new to this so be patient...I don't know if anti-dazzle is synonymous with the Euro spec lazer-light program or not. I was reading where the US spec'd cars had limits on light output which effected the lazer light output as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
In low beam the adaptive LEDs are brighter and project further than the Laser Lights. That is a big reason they are rated poor by the IIHS due to the glare they create.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #27
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybybalco86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
So strange they wouldn't use the same 552 lights on the G05 that they do on the G01. I'm not in marketing so I suppose charging more money for the upgraded light with full functionality makes sense from a business stand point. The upgrade from G01 to G05 should just include the better headlights in my opinion.
But you're comparing a fully optioned out g01 to a base g05 head lights.
Then BMW shouldn't call the base lights on the G05 Adaptive LED. My G01 stickered at $67k, it isn't unreasonable to assume the G05, with a higher base price would have the same LEDs from the M40i as their standard lights (it was also pointed out the lights from the X3 M40i and the X5 40i are the same model number, but they detune them for the G05). It was maybe a dumb idea on BMWs part to have the worse lights standard, since they have gotten poor ratings from the IIHS, and a lot of people care about those safety ratings.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #28
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty new to this so be patient...I don't know if anti-dazzle is synonymous with the Euro spec lazer-light program or not. I was reading where the US spec'd cars had limits on light output which effected the lazer light output as well.
I don't know for a fact, but I *believe* that anti-dazzle decode removal (ie coding anti-dazzle back on) on the US/Canada neutered laser lights is NOT the same thing as getting the neutered laser lights to proper Euro spec. I have not yet seen a discussion about coding to Euro spec. Nonetheless, anti-dazzle is an awesome system, works very well, and should really be part of every laser lights equipped G05 X5, so that coding is still worth it.
      01-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #29
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
In low beam the adaptive LEDs are brighter and project further than the Laser Lights. That is a big reason they are rated poor by the IIHS due to the glare they create.

Say what

What about in ‘High Beam”? Same story? One of the main reasons for ordering an G05 was for the lights. Getting older and drive long trips on secondary roads a lot, so if the Laser Light option was a bad idea, then I may have to cancel out.

Quote:
I don't know for a fact, but I *believe* that anti-dazzle decode removal (ie coding anti-dazzle back on) on the US/Canada neutered laser lights is NOT the same thing as getting the neutered laser lights to proper Euro spec. I have not yet seen a discussion about coding to Euro spec. Nonetheless, anti-dazzle is an awesome system, works very well, and should really be part of every laser lights equipped G05 X5, so that coding is still worth it.
Agreed, I’m good with AD feature, I just want the full ROW LED/Laser output in high beam.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #30
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

Not to be the uncaring BMW owner but I really care more about MY ability to see so with that priority, the base LED lights are good according to the testing. If only glare to oncoming cars is the reason they have been given a poor rating then I say “who cares”. We have seen this over the decades with HID’s and how low they are aimed. At least we are talking about a contained focused lake beam.

If we live in “realville” and put this in perspective, there are alot more pickups with crappy aftermarket lights aimed right in everyone’s face without and projector cut-offs for me to worry about the BMW LED focused headlights slightly being too high for oncoming drivers.

The half angle eyes is more of a issue for cosmetic reasons for me if I didn’t get the Laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Say what

What about in ‘High Beam”? Same story? One of the main reasons for ordering an G05 was for the lights. Getting older and drive long trips on secondary roads a lot, so if the Laser Light option was a bad idea, then I may have to cancel out.
I think maybe you are misunderstanding the test results. The Laser Lights are superior to the Adaptive LEDs in both low and high beam (IIHS did not test the laser function of the high beams). If you look at the testing charts, the projection for the adaptive LEDs is beyond the optimal point hence the glare and poor rating.
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #32
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
I think maybe you are misunderstanding the test results. The Laser Lights are superior to the Adaptive LEDs in both low and high beam (IIHS did not test the laser function of the high beams). If you look at the testing charts, the projection for the adaptive LEDs is beyond the optimal point hence the glare and poor rating.

To put this in perspective, the Laser lights are superior to all other lighting systems. I have owned them all and it’s not even a contest how superior the new Laser lights are even in their reduced NA functionality. Every other adaptive LED lighting system is a contest for best 2nd place.
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #33
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

Quote:
Quote:
not only for US market. for all. there fake lens.
only one way to fix it, install there non OEM LED bulb.
      01-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #34
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I think you're right. For the Laser high beams there's two components at play:
1) The anti-dazzle - being able to avoid blinding uncoming traffic with high beams still on.
2) range - Euro spec is 600m and NA spec is 300m (don't quote me on those ranges but they're close).

The anti-dazzle coding only addresses the first component and not the second.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #35
Markes
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj452 View Post
Question on LED Headlights...

In my X5, I noted that only one (outside one) of the headlamps turn on each side (Left & Right). When i asked the dealer he said the inside LED headlights (i.e the ones next to the kidney grills) are dummy and there is no bulb in there.

Having 2 headlights with corona rings around them is the BMW design. Am already not liking the fact that the non laser versions have only the lower half of the corona rings, and now they are saying one of the headlamps is a dummy one.
Same story. After MB headlights that one just sucks. Called to BMW Russia for remedy and got the recepie - buy laser version. Nice, huh!?)
I wonder, after all those ads and hype about Laser headlight performance pushing customers to buy X5, with all those confusing terms, like Adaptive and/or LED headlights vs Laser version, can it be considered as intentional confusion of the customers? Especially taking into account the fact that g05 has worse headlight as X5 previouse model? Can it be the case to file for BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #36
BMWasia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,Ford Explorer.

question is how to order on a Russian website
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #37
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Maybe a random question on the thread.
But is it possible to have the turn indicator on the laser lights to have on while DRL are on ?
Would be really cool/aggresive if it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #38
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Lex do you know if the anti-dazzle coding can be done via Bimmercode?
I have a MX+ adapter on the way & would love to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #39
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Quote:
Lex do you know if the anti-dazzle coding can be done via Bimmercode?
I have a MX+ adapter on the way & would love to do it.
I would assert no without even checking too carefully. This is because when you VO* code it, you code 5 ECUs (which is a lot) and therefore the number of FDL parameters are likely large. The ECUs are BDC_BODY3, HU_MGU, FLM2 [43], FLM2 [44], KAFAS4 and at least 3 of those are currently not supported in Bimmercode.

However, VO is the simplest type of coding you can do with ESys and doesn't require acquiring a launcher which is where most people run into trouble. All you need is a Windows PC, Ethernet to OBDII cable (eBay or Amazon), ESys (easy/free download), psdzdata lite (easy/free download).

* VO coding = change car overall config (called FA) + code multiple ECUs (or even entire car) in full, not by individual FDL parameters
      11-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #40
devianttofu
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Looks like I'm late to the party. I've just ordered an xdrive45e with the premium package (not aware that it comes with dummy leds).

I'm willing to accept it if the lighting functionality is similar to laserlight other than less high beam range. I was under the impression that the "adaptive led" manipulates the high beam lens and the low beam lens individually to avoid blinding incoming cars while still having the high beams on. But with the dummy lights, does it still have this function? Appreciate any replies to shed some light on this mystery for me!

By the way, I saw that the codes/features listed under standard features in my build progress window did not list ambient lighting nor panoramic sunroof, which is suppose to be standard on 2021 x5's. Is this something to be concerned with?

Finally, do you guys know if it's too late now to add the executive package (it's still in the first stage in the build progress).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:41 AM   #41
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by devianttofu View Post
By the way, I saw that the codes/features listed under standard features in my build progress window did not list ambient lighting nor panoramic sunroof, which is suppose to be standard on 2021 x5's. Is this something to be concerned with?
I believe they should be listed:
0402 Panorama glass roof
04UR Ambient interior light

If they aren't, you probably won't get them.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #42
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

I'm a US driver with a 45e on order. I've read with interest many postings about these lights. I think I have my head wrapped around laser vs non-laser, US vs Europe but I have to admit it's been very confusing. I appreciate differing regulation but it still feels a little like there's a willful ambiguity in what you're getting. Also challenging because, to my understanding, one needs the highest tier option package ("executive") to get lasers in the US.
Appreciate 1
philooo81.50
      11-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #43
devianttofu
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
0402 Panorama glass roof

Thanks for the reply. So I just got off the call with the dealer and he assured me that those come standard and will be there even though it's not listed...

So do folks know if this is a case of he doesn't know what he is talking about (and I should escalate this further) or I'm just overthinking it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #44
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by devianttofu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
0402 Panorama glass roof

Thanks for the reply. So I just got off the call with the dealer and he assured me that those come standard and will be there even though it's not listed...

So do folks know if this is a case of he doesn't know what he is talking about (and I should escalate this further) or I'm just overthinking it?

Thanks!
Overthinking, 402 Panoramic and 4UR are standard on all USA X5 models. The online tracking info can be off if your vehicle was recently loaded and not every single standard feature will be listed.

Running a VIN check early also won't be accurate until your vehicle reached has reach the point in production where the body gets mated to the chassis.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0