BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #23
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

From my limited time living there, I will give another vote to water source and drain/s in the floor. The salt that they use on the roads is unreal there, and it will give you the ability to rinse vehicles and floor to preserve both, as well as not have a soaking wet floor if sloped and drained well.
A slop sink with threaded end that you can attach a hose would work great for multiple uses.
Doing a waterproof panel for the bottom 3 feet or so of the walls and a properly sealed floor will also help keep it in good shape long term.
Wall mount garage door openers, for safety and space saving, are a must on any new garage door install I.M.O.
The rest of my ideas are more for someone who wrenches, i.e. lift and power considerations, wiring for audio and video, compressor and air lines etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #24
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Mudroom is a great idea where you live! Since you're building a garage from ground up and you said you don't wrench but care about storage; having garage being able to accommodate a lift would might be a value add for you or at resale time and at this point in the build it will not cost you much more to add these items during "rough phase".

If you want to have 2 post lift, you will need min 3500 psi slab, 4"+, max 2% slope, non-post tension concrete. If you plan on 4 post lift then regular concrete will do. I suggest adding ample outlets on perimeter of the garage walls as its always nice to have, same with the power in the the ceiling.. this way you can have sufficient lighting (2x4 troffer panels are super cheap and sit flush with the drywall and provide stupid amount of light).. also might be a good idea to dedicate a small workshop area where you can build some cabinets, a sink and perhaps add a fridge.. its always nice to have extra fridge in the house.. Regarding lifts, make sure you run 220 in the ceiling someplace and you can then bring it down to the lift if you decide to install one later. Run power for your garage door openers, jackshaft is nice since it pulls the door on the side and doesnt take up ceiling space allowing you to put overhead shelves for maximum storage. Make sure you add at least one EV charger.. keep in mind that alone will be 50amp service.. or more.. I did two 60 amps.. this will require you likely to add sub panel to existing main panel so you will have little bit more on electrical cost side.

I recently did a custom garage and ran also airline in the ceiling that runs back to garage cabinets which house medium size compressor. Same cabinets also house water filtration system for the house. This is also something you could potentially tie in depending where you water main is. Below is photo so you can get an idea. (Lift not shown but i have it in other pictures)

All of the finishing touches can add up depending on the quality of products you want to put it but this can all be done later. Key during initial construction is to have overall plan what you want it to look like eventually and ensure to get all the rough stuff done (electrical/plumbing/etc) and you can do the final touches later

Interior designer can help you with color selection etc, but layout honestly you can do yourself.. make sure on your arch plans that you leave enough room for everything that is going.. i.e. clearance between cabinets in relation to where the car is parked when cabinet door is open etc.. little things like that.. interior designer can help with this as well if you're not comfortable..

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 01-09-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #25
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Wall mount garage door openers, for safety and space saving, are a must on any new garage door install I.M.O.
Completely agree. Wall mount openers are so much better than overhead openers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #26
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I can't see plan on mobile app but if it's not a detached garage please make sure there are adequate details with regards to air sealing between the garage and interior of the home.

Also with regards to a garage drains in some jurisdictions they are a code violation. Reason is that they want chemical spills mopped up and disposed of properly rather than washed down into the waterways via stormwater drain.

GL.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00