BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

Buckled 742m Alloys

Looking for some help from people on the forum with an issue with a slight vibration in my X5

After hitting a pot hole and ripping the inside wall off the front and rear passenger side tyres, I’ve replaced all 4 tyres with the P Zero BMW tyres. Previously had the conti’s premium contact 6.

Turns out that the alloys were slightly buckled. So, managed to get the alloys straightened and the car seems to have improved. But the car just does not feel as smooth as it used too.

Returned for a rebalance of the tyres, but I’m sure the car isn’t as silky smooth as it used to drive. I’m honestly not sure what to try next. Seems to vary between 50-70mph, ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel.

Has anybody experienced this before - is it just that the buckled alloy isn’t ever going to roll smooth and I need a new alloy, or should I be looking at another balance, maybe run the car into the BMW dealer to get them to try a Road Force balance.

Any ideas on this one as I’m starting to go mad over the ever so slight vibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 12:23 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
balancers can only fix balance problems. even the most sophisticated balancers cannot eliminate vibrations from a bent wheel or an out-of-round or irregularly worn tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:08 PM   #3
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

I was hoping that straightening the wheels would fix it, but that tiny vibration is still there.

It’s probably time to look at a new alloy wheel then…

Last edited by csm7djs; 02-19-2024 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
ZoranTerzic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32 435i

Hey mate
Had the same issue on my X5 with the 742m wheels.
Both left wheels were buckled after hitting a massive pothole in the rain and at night. Hurt my soul when I hit it - got them straight again at a wheel repair shop.
Felt a different vibration after though, and it’s because the tires had the slightest “egg” shape to them as the car sat for a couple months when I went oversees.
Only way to fix that is with new tires unfortunately..
My only guess in your situation is that maybe they aren’t perfectly round?
Maybe try rotate your tires and see if that helps?
Hope you get it resolved mate.. I know the pain.
Cheers
ZT
Appreciate 0