BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2024, 01:06 PM   #1
babul99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

[Help needed] Damage on rear spoiler and wing

Hi all,

I have a black X5 50i 2021 M Sport package. Had an accident with the garage door scraping the back of the car. I have damage on the spoiler and the rear wing (I think that's what it's called, the plastic part around the rear windscreen). I've added photos to hopefully make it clearer.

Any guidance on what's the best way to repair (I guess replacement) - and what are the parts I'll need? How much should this cost so I'm able to better negotiate with the dealership?

I'm based in Alexandria, VA, USA - so any recos on local workshops will also be very welcome.

Thank you all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 01:33 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by babul99 View Post
Hi all,

I have a black X5 50i 2021 M Sport package. Had an accident with the garage door scraping the back of the car. I have damage on the spoiler and the rear wing (I think that's what it's called, the plastic part around the rear windscreen). I've added photos to hopefully make it clearer.

Any guidance on what's the best way to repair (I guess replacement) - and what are the parts I'll need? How much should this cost so I'm able to better negotiate with the dealership?

I'm based in Alexandria, VA, USA - so any recos on local workshops will also be very welcome.

Thank you all!
I would think a dealer's bodyshop would just want to replace those two parts but possibly a good indie could add plastic and respray. In any event, here are the part numbers, you can search the internet and get an idea of pricing, being aware they will come with primer only and will need to be painted.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:07 AM   #3
babul99
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I would think a dealer's bodyshop would just want to replace those two parts but possibly a good indie could add plastic and respray. In any event, here are the part numbers, you can search the internet and get an idea of pricing, being aware they will come with primer only and will need to be painted.

Thank you sir!!

I'm completely new to this, so apologies on the dumb question: approximate ballpark how much would BMW / an indie charge for labor and fixing this up excluding the parts?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:16 AM   #4
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Thank you sir!!

I'm completely new to this, so apologies on the dumb question: approximate ballpark how much would BMW / an indie charge for labor and fixing this up excluding the parts?
At least a couple thousand bucks. Those parts are never cheap and usually have retail prices that are 3 times what people would expect.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:36 AM   #5
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I'd get a few quotes from body shops. The dealer isn't gonna do work like that, they're gonna farm it out and take a cut. You could cut out the middleman and get a better repair for cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:42 AM   #6
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Have a body man fill in the damage if possible and paint if it is a lease vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:44 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sir!!

Well, first search the price of buying the parts yourself, plug in the part numbers and search the internet, you'll see varying prices so if you want worst case, use the highest. Then you'll have the labor to remove the old parts, paint the new ones and installation. I think cobramite is on target.
General rule of thumb is to take the price of the parts and multiply that by around 1.5 to get an estimate of the labor cost. So if both parts cost $800, then labor might be around $1,200 for a total of $2,000. However, prices and labor vary and this job does not need to be done by a BMW service center. Find yourself a local indie or a custom paint center that paints hot rods.
One other thought, if the situation that caused the damage is likely to happen from time to time, you could consider waiting for the 'next' boo boo before doing the work. I mean if people fixed every boo boo every time they happened, well...ouch!$! IMHO, yours is not that bad. Rarely does a car go through life unscathed
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:21 AM   #8
babul99
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the help, folks!

BMW gave me a quote of $1200. Will take that to other bodyshops and see where we land. The parts BMW quoted were higher than what I see online (duh!).

What is a reliable source online to buy parts myself?

I've heard www.BMWpartscenter.com is legit but want to tap into the collective wisdom of folks here.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:29 AM   #9
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

BMW gave me a quote of $1200. Will take that to other bodyshops and see where we land. The parts BMW quoted were higher than what I see online (duh!).

I've heard www.BMWpartscenter.com is legit but want to tap into the collective wisdom of folks here.
That sounds reasonable $1200. I bought replacement spoiler before that was in X5M style painted it was like $700. So ur quote is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:35 AM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Isn't it nice to find a price lower than expected? As far as reliable parts sourcing, it really depends on what parts you need. There are a lot of places I order maintenance parts from (oil, oil filters, engine and cabin air filters, wiper blades, tires, brakes, rotors, etc) but most of those don't offer larger body parts so for those I get the part numbers of what I want and then start searching the internet, including my local dealer, and figure out where to order from. For my X5, I've not had to order any body related parts - yet -

Here are a few of the online places that you might consider, I've ordered from a number of them over the years without issue.
bmwpartsdirect
fcpeuro
autohauosaz
rockauto
shopbmwusa
getbmwparts
ecstuning
Many dealers also advertise their parts department online, like bwwofsouthatlanta and a few others but that's not really any different than just going to your local dealer, which will save you the shipping cost.
Appreciate 0