BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Struggling to Keep X5 in Straight Line - Steering Advice Needed

Looking for advice from automotive experts on this thread. I recently purchased an X5 40i with M Sport package. I currently have a little over 1100 miles on the vehicle. An to provide some context, I have been driving for over 35 years, across vehicles of all types.

I am having trouble keeping the X5 in a straight line. It feels like no matter how stable I keep the steering wheel, there is a 1 - 2 degree gap in either direction where the wheels continue to shift and the vehicle is constantly floating between the outer edges of the lane. It is like driving in windy conditions where you have to course correct, except the wind is constant. I had a similar experience with a Subaru Outback after it went in for a steering recall and they messed up the alignment.

When I had the lane keep assist on it would jerk the car every time it approached the outer edges of the lane. I turned off the lane keep assist thinking maybe that was overly sensitive, and the problem is still present. Also, I have had multiple vehicles with lane keep assist and none of them have ever behaved like this. It is more noticeable at higher speeds.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any idea what this could be?
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      04-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Take it into the dealer for repair and don't let up on the issue. Would also look into NJ's Lemon Laws to see what your rights are if it cannot be properly fixed/keeps happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

As mentioned, have your dealer look at it since it is not normal.
      04-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Would be helpful to have more details on suspension option - Adaptive M, air – and wheel size. But as other suggested with lane assist deactivated you shouldn't have any steering corrections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
It feels like no matter how stable I keep the steering wheel, there is a 1 - 2 degree gap in either direction where the wheels continue to shift and the vehicle is constantly floating between the outer edges of the lane.
Do you mean 1-2 degree play in the steering wheel? Or 1-2 degree off centered?

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Looking for advice from automotive experts on this thread. I recently purchased an X5 40i with M Sport package. I currently have a little over 1100 miles on the vehicle. An to provide some context, I have been driving for over 35 years, across vehicles of all types.

I am having trouble keeping the X5 in a straight line. It feels like no matter how stable I keep the steering wheel, there is a 1 - 2 degree gap in either direction where the wheels continue to shift and the vehicle is constantly floating between the outer edges of the lane. It is like driving in windy conditions where you have to course correct, except the wind is constant. I had a similar experience with a Subaru Outback after it went in for a steering recall and they messed up the alignment.

When I had the lane keep assist on it would jerk the car every time it approached the outer edges of the lane. I turned off the lane keep assist thinking maybe that was overly sensitive, and the problem is still present. Also, I have had multiple vehicles with lane keep assist and none of them have ever behaved like this. It is more noticeable at higher speeds.

In order to keep it going in a straight line, even for a mile, do you find that you have to have your steering wheel turned a bit? For example, to go straight down the road, you need to have your wheel at a constant left or right X degree angle?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

Akin, I had a similar issue upon delivery of mine. I have 2021 M-Sport, Air Suspension and 20" wheels. It sounds crazy, but go check your front tire pressure. Mine was REALLY high. Once I lowered it the "float" went away.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      04-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
What tires are you running? The wider tires tend to "pull" somewhat side to side if there is a kerf in the road. More noticeable with the Pirelli than Michelin summer performance. Just a thought.

Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      04-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Would be helpful to have more details on suspension option - Adaptive M, air – and wheel size. But as other suggested with lane assist deactivated you shouldn't have any steering corrections.

Do you mean 1-2 degree play in the steering wheel? Or 1-2 degree off centered?
I have the M Suspension. Even when I sternly hold on to the steering wheel with both hands to keep the vehicle in a straight line, I feel it floating in either direction even on strait away, it feels like even when the steering wheel is held in a constant position there is slight play in the wheels causing the car to drift in either direction, and do it constantly from one side to the other. It is slight. But the faster you go the more noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #9
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynoles1 View Post
Akin, I had a similar issue upon delivery of mine. I have 2021 M-Sport, Air Suspension and 20" wheels. It sounds crazy, but go check your front tire pressure. Mine was REALLY high. Once I lowered it the "float" went away.
I have the Pirelli Scorpion Run Flat 20" tires. When I checked last week the fronts were 43 and the rears were 48 psi. But that could have been after I had been driving for a while so may not be cold pressure.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #10
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
In order to keep it going in a straight line, even for a mile, do you find that you have to have your steering wheel turned a bit? For example, to go straight down the road, you need to have your wheel at a constant left or right X degree angle?
No. It feels more like when I have the steering wheel straight, as if if the wheels are not locked but have a little play in either direction. If I did not correct the vehicle will continue drifting from one side to the other. It does not appear to favor one direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #11
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
No. It feels more like when I have the steering wheel straight, as if if the wheels are not locked but have a little play in either direction. If I did not correct the vehicle will continue drifting from one side to the other. It does not appear to favor one direction.
That looks like a defect to me, I can take my hands off the wheel and my X5 maintains a constant course with out sway. Sounds like there is play in the steering and it should be corrected.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #12
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynoles1 View Post
I have the Pirelli Scorpion Run Flat 20" tires. When I checked last week the fronts were 43 and the rears were 48 psi. But that could have been after I had been driving for a while so may not be cold pressure.
Fronts seem elevated even warm - depending on ambient temps and how long you were driving and speed etc.

Factory temps for comfort driving and below 100mph are: 33F / 41R and above 100mph are 36F / 44R.

I'd advise adjusting pressures first and see if that eliminates some squirrelly-ness.

Appreciate 4
akin67450.50
swainbmw525.50
      04-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Fronts seem elevated even warm - depending on ambient temps and how long you were driving and speed etc.

Factory temps for comfort driving and below 100mph are: 33F / 41R and above 100mph are 36F / 44R.

I'd advise adjusting pressures first and see if that eliminates some squirrelly-ness.
Right, over inflated tires will surely give you a squirrelly driving experience not to mention a rough/bouncier ride.
Appreciate 2
akin67450.50
      04-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Once you have the air pressure correct, if that doesn't fix things, it's time to talk to the dealer. A defective tire can cause things to pull, as can suspension issues, and tire pressure settings. Some vehicles are more subject to the crown of the road than others...I've not noticed that on my X5, but I have a different model and tires.
Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      04-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #15
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just checked the cold tire pressure and it was 37/45. Changed it to 33/41. I am not sure enough to make material difference but will take it for a drive now. Also scheduled a service appointment for next week.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      04-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #16
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After I properly inflated the tires, the vehicle started driving much better. I'm not sure the issue is completely resolved, but it is much better. I can't believe tires over inflated by 4 - 5 psi can have such a major impact on how the vehicle drives. I have had instances where the tires were over inflated by a comparable amount in my other cars, but never did I experience anything like what happened with the X5.

I have an appointment with BMW service. I still want them to check the alignment and steering to make sure nothing else is wrong.

I want to thank everyone again for all your help and suggestions.
Appreciate 4
Auricom4361.50
bandersen587.00
SteVTEC186.50
      04-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After I properly inflated the tires, the vehicle started driving much better. I'm not sure the issue is completely resolved, but it is much better. I can't believe tires over inflated by 4 - 5 psi can have such a major impact on how the vehicle drives. I have had instances where the tires were over inflated by a comparable amount in my other cars, but never did I experience anything like what happened with the X5.

I have an appointment with BMW service. I still want them to check the alignment and steering to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Some tire treads designs coupled with certain road finishes cause a bit of havoc. I had a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's that when on a grooved cement pavement road, would wreak havoc, I could not let go of the steering wheel and had to keep correcting it in order to stay straight yet on asphalt they were fine. I had a screw in one of my front tires on my X3, luckily I noticed it when walking up to the car in a parking lot so I pulled, plugged and inflated it on the spot. I carry a small air pump that plugs into the cig lighter, takes a while but does the job. Well, after that, the car just didn't seem to track well and I found the steering to be a bit whacky. Come to find out, I had put nearly 50 pounds of air in that tire and that is when I learned never to trust the little pressure gauge on a portable air pump! Once the air pressure was back to normal, so was the driving experience. I believe those were Continental ExtremeContact tires IIRC.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      04-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Great to hear and it's a start!

Surprisingly tire pressures on X5s, with or without run-flat tires, can have significant on impact the handling and ride quality - in addition to tire tread, tire/wheel size, and tire manufacturer.

For troubleshooting especially on vehicles with a lot of technology stuffed into them - suspension options, hardware, drive modes, and then assistive drive features, it's great to check off the basics you have control or adjust before heading to the dealer.

Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      04-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Tramlining. Depending on road surfaces, my previous X5 and current X6 tramline with their wide RFT's. Running lower tire pressure can help. Non-RFT's shouldn't tramline as much either.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #20
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Tramlining. Depending on road surfaces, my previous X5 and current X6 tramline with their wide RFT's. Running lower tire pressure can help. Non-RFT's shouldn't tramline as much either.
It all depends on the tire design...RFT, being stiffer can be a factor, but it's only one of many. The tread design, the rubber compound, and the air pressure all play much bigger parts to how a tire behaves. Road chamber can be an issue, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #21
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

I read this yesterday and paid close attention while doing a longer mixed freeway/surface street drive today.

Something isn’t right with your car; mine stays pretty dead on. I hope the tire pressure adjustment sorts it out!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #22
valix777
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

Hello guys, hello Akin.
I have the same problem with my brand new G05 (40d). It's like you wrote exactly how I feel, with my own words, except that my tire pressure is ok, and I checked also the alignment of the wheels and seems to be perfect.
You said you were going to visit the dealer. Did you solve anything?
Thank you and any suggestion is much appreciated.
I am from Romania, btw .
Appreciate 0