BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
boostedjay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Custom color X5M/X6M

How many people have a custom or "individual" color X5M/X6M? I'm told it "can't" be done, but I don't really believe that. I've already seen a couple of threads with people with custom colors. How much was it and what was the time frame? (feel free to PM if you're not comfortable discussing in public)

We'll be getting rid of my wifes A7 soon and she really wants an RSQ8... but damn do I miss my E70 X5M and would love to convince her to get an X5M/X6M.. this would really help!

would love to see some pictures as well so feel free to show off!!
      04-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
phennighausen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, BMW E90 328i

As of the 2021 Model Year you can now get the X5/6/7 in Individual Paint. See the individual visualizer to see the "Special Paints" approved for order.

visualizer.bmw-individual.com

My father just took delivery of his Ruby Red X5M this week.

Last edited by phennighausen; 04-22-2021 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: fix picture
Appreciate 13
GOLFFRR10774.50
ed41367.50
hdahman236.50
AwesomeM31639.00
leon360x139.50
Ibiza3596.00
Ex_Stig2592.50
ajob456.00
BigHunk269.50
      04-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

If you would like to get the current up to date list (its constantly changing ) you can shoot our guy Jimmy Miller an email at jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com its super cool BMW offers this for the x models! finally

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
oneway
Private
Rep
Drives: S4 + Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by phennighausen View Post
As of the 2021 Model Year you can now get the X5/6/7 in Individual Paint. See the individual visualizer to see the "Special Paints" approved for order.

I would personally never order that color, but that does look great!
Past: '16 BMW 340i, '16 Audi SQ5, '15 Lexus IS350, '15 Audi Q5 3.0, '14 Audi S4, '13 Infiniti FX35, '11 Infiniti G37s, '10 Audi A4, '08 Infiniti G35s, '08 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Infiniti G35c, '07 Infiniti FX35, '06 Nissan 350z, '04 Toyota 4Runner, '02 Lexus IS300, '01 Honda Prelude...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedjay View Post
How many people have a custom or "individual" color X5M/X6M? I'm told it "can't" be done, but I don't really believe that. I've already seen a couple of threads with people with custom colors. How much was it and what was the time frame? (feel free to PM if you're not comfortable discussing in public)

We'll be getting rid of my wifes A7 soon and she really wants an RSQ8... but damn do I miss my E70 X5M and would love to convince her to get an X5M/X6M.. this would really help!

would love to see some pictures as well so feel free to show off!!
No secret on cost; you don't get to negotiate the price of the paint separately.
Priority 1 option paints for X5/6 models (Tanzanite Blue II, Ametrin, Dravit Grey) are $1950, no significant delay in production.
BMW Manufaktur Individual paint for X5/6/7 M are $5K+; some of these colors will deactivate some of the safety features because of interference with the sensors from the paint material composition, these will delay production up to 12 weeks.

Some dealers aren't familiar with the process, so they may just be ignorant since most people aren't ordering these. You can't do it on the web in your build, SA/Manager has to notify factory of the special color option once you order. Larger volume dealerships are more familiar with the process from what I have heard.
ed41367.50
      04-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #6
boostedjay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phennighausen View Post

Wow, thank you for the link!!! Your dads X5M is SICK. I love the color, reminds me of my mothers old 2001 jeep grand cherokee that she bought new as I was a kid. (disrespectful comparison, but it's the nostalgia for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
If you would like to get the current up to date list (its constantly changing ) you can shoot our guy Jimmy Miller an email at jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com its super cool BMW offers this for the x models! finally
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
No secret on cost; you don't get to negotiate the price of the paint separately.
Priority 1 option paints for X5/6 models (Tanzanite Blue II, Ametrin, Dravit Grey) are $1950, no significant delay in production.
BMW Manufaktur Individual paint for X5/6/7 M are $5K+; some of these colors will deactivate some of the safety features because of interference with the sensors from the paint material composition, these will delay production up to 12 weeks.

Some dealers aren't familiar with the process, so they may just be ignorant since most people aren't ordering these. You can't do it on the web in your build, SA/Manager has to notify factory of the special color option once you order. Larger volume dealerships are more familiar with the process from what I have heard.
Yeah, I don't think my local dealer is familiar with it. I've actually had 8 BMW's in my short 12 year span of having a drivers license, the people at my local bmw dealership have never done right. I could write a book on how garbage they are, so they wouldn't get any of my $ anyway.
      04-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I actually think the F95 has a good standard color selection this time around. If I went with a individual 5K paint, it would have to be one wild color. Signal green, Imola red, Daytona violet, Fire orange, Chalk grey etc....

Alan
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #8
boostedjay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I actually think the F95 has a good standard color selection this time around. If I went with a individual 5K paint, it would have to be one wild color. Signal green, Imola red, Daytona violet, Fire orange, Chalk grey etc....

Alan
LOL! Signal green was the first thing I showed the lady, was an instant no. There's no chalk for the X's sadly, or that would be #1. Daytona violet is a little *too* purple for such a big car. I actually would love for them to bring back Techno Violet instead, way better color IMO. After looking at the list, I'm thinking Oxford Green, Lime Rock Grey, or Grigio Telesto. But the fanboy in me is probably going to go for OG or LRG to keep it "bmw". Going to do some shopping around and see who can do the best for us, confidently. But thanks to you guys, I may just be getting into an X6M instead of that dime a dozen Q8 platform. That's literally all we see in our area.
      04-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30i (loaded)

Quote:
How do these colors interfere with the sensors? I know the individual colors add time to the builds, but I never heard of interference with the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM517 View Post
How do these colors interfere with the sensors? I know the individual colors add time to the builds, but I never heard of interference with the sensors.
We discussed it on the forum, has to do with the components/metal in the paint interfering with things if memory serves me right. If I can find where it is I will post a link to the thread.

They warn you on the site when you go to the visualizer:
Please note that with U490 BMW Individual paint the function “Lane change assistant”, which is a part of option 5AU “Driving assistant professional” has to be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR "decoding additional function".

Last edited by gqgambler; 04-23-2021 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #11
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30i (loaded)

Quote:
We discussed it on the forum, has to do with the components/metal in the pain interfering with things if memory serves me right. If I can find where it is I will post a link to the thread.

Please note that with U490 BMW Individual paint the function “Lane change assistant”, which is a part of option 5AU “Driving assistant professional” has to be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR "decoding additional function".
Thanks! I have seen that warning and did not realize it was for that. Anyway, is it for all individual colors or just certain ones? BMW should be more specific about this.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM517 View Post
Quote:
We discussed it on the forum, has to do with the components/metal in the pain interfering with things if memory serves me right. If I can find where it is I will post a link to the thread.

Please note that with U490 BMW Individual paint the function "Lane change assistant", which is a part of option 5AU "Driving assistant professional" has to be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR "decoding additional function".
Thanks! I have seen that warning and did not realize it was for that. Anyway, is it for all individual colors or just certain ones? BMW should be more specific about this.
Here's my cross posting from G07:

BMW Individual & Lane Change Assist https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1799732

TLDR; All BMW Manufaktur Individual 490 paints (colors which have been available for many years) have not been optimized for current radar compatibility - this includes paint certification and thickness.

And my copy-paste from another thread and translation for LCA deactivation when ordering 490 paints from:

https://www.g20-forum.de/forum/threa...k-lane-assist/

"Please note that with 490 BMW Individual paint the function "Lane change assistant" which is a part of option 5AU "Driving assistant professional" has to be deactivated. This happens by adding option 8TR "decoding additional function"

The problem with the new radar sensors is that different paints reflect or scatter the radar waves differently. In the development phase, every BMW standard production paint is tested and optimized for radar compatibility, but the majority of BMW Individual Manufaktur 490 paints (developed pre-LCA) have not been tested. It may well be that the sensors works without any problems - or there may be many false or non-detections.

Ensuring the radar compatibility of the current catalog of 490 paints is time-consuming, complex and costly according to factory sources and the fact that there aren't significant numbers of 490 paint orders for BMW to justify.

Appreciate 3
AwesomeM31639.00
DSM51754.00
Ibiza3596.00