BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2023, 10:31 PM   #1
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Journey to 50e

New here and wanted to describe our journey and thank the community which contributed to selecting a X5 50e.

The last 30 to 40 years I used economic, common-sense vehicles (VW, Toyota, Subaru). In January I started looking for a new ride to enjoy when I transit from the work life to the just have fun portion …
We want to tour the country a few months at a time and for this is we are looking for something more exiting. We need to be able to do light off roading to be in nature …

Ideally it was to be a Wagon … But while common in Europe, they are hard to find in the US. We looked at Volvo, Mercedes, and Audi … Not a large selection …
The Audi A6 Allroad became our favored – 8 to 12 months build time. But nowhere in the state I was able to find one to test drive. Audi encouraged me to put the $1k down and wait 10 months. If the car is not to my liking, I get my money back.
No test driving or waiting 10 months and then start over again wasn’t very tempting ...

In March we became aware of the X5 LCI. More than 40 years ago, we had a few used Beamers, the most exciting a 2002tii (for those who remember …). I had a few X5 as rental’s in between …
So we test drove a 40i in April and it didn’t give us that SUV like feel. We felt in love with the LCI and the new features (Highway Assist hands free driving). We ordered!

End of May we have got notified that they dropped some packages of the build (Exec and Climate). The Climate was a no go …

In the meantime I looked at the forums and the idea of the 50e did grow on us. Since we plan to tour the country. I originally envisioned the 40i to be better for fuel economy.

But the battery hold and to use the electric mode in nature (completely silent), the pre-condition and the avoidance of the ASS lack of A/C during stops we all learned here on the forum. Add the environmental aspect of a Hybrid and it became apparent to what we had to order …

Early June we ordered the 50e (which still does include the wanted packages). 2 weeks ago we got a production number and Genius confirmed week 32. Went to 150 last Monday (24th July) with a production date of 6th August (Sunday). This should be perfect timing to have OS 8.5.

Remaining is that I asked for PCD, and I don’t have date yet. I was told another 1.5 weeks (after the car is built). Is this standard? It feels like my local dealer submitted the request late.
Any idea what PCD date to expect with a built date of 8/6 ?

I tried to order the 14-50 adapter for the planned travel. The cancelled my order for part 61-44-8-490-525. They want the VIN, which I have, but is not in systems yet to be confirmed.

When will VIN be available for dealers and for me to download the owner’s manual?

Hopefully the current valve and other stop call items have been identified and fixed for this production. With PCD I want to spend a few days in the mountains and few hundred miles home.

I want to thank the forum members for all the information. Received significant better and more information from here than from my local dealer. Special thanks to TurtleBoy , calbears and nZtiZia .

For those interested:
- 50e
- Mineral White
- Tartufo
- M Sport
- 20” wheels
- Exec
- DAP
- Climate
- Parking
- Hitch
- Advanced Car Eye

Excitement is growing …
Appreciate 4
nZtiZia4674.00
Llarry16162.50
LDT1560.50
calbears4257.00
      07-29-2023, 10:51 PM   #2
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Congrats Sir,...nice build! Also, good decision on getting a tow hitch!
      07-30-2023, 06:46 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Thanks for the detailed write-up and congratulations on your order.

We have not been hearing about long delays for PCD so that could be the working timeframe. Now that you are in 150 make sure your CA is working to get you a confirmed date.

As far as the VIN is concerned, that may have to wait until production is complete but recently they were showing up in VIN decoders early so there us a chance it will in the other systems also.

In the meantime for the manual, check out dealer websites for a similarly spec'd vehicle and use that VIN.

https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html

Hope the wait is not too long.
WagonFan271.50
      07-30-2023, 08:59 AM   #4
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
We have not been hearing about long delays for PCD so that could be the working timeframe. Now that you are in 150 make sure your CA is working to get you a confirmed date.
Thanks for the info. They forwarded us the email from the Performance Center from 26th July which stated:

-------------
... we wanted to let you know that it may take us up to ten business days (Monday – Friday), from the date of this e-mail, to process your request ...
-------------

If they use all 10 days that would bring us 3 days past production date.
Still hoping to hear something next week.

I guess we will be patience for another few days.

Regarding manual: I have one for standard spec 50e from one of the forums. For the detailed one I probably wait another week, if it is available after production.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Congratulations.

As you mentioned you plan to do long roadtrip in this car - I would kindly suggest drive the car ~1000 miles locally beyond the break-in period to sort out any early signals of potential issue (such as battery valve or other drive-train related) on the car before hitting your big roadtrip, just to be extra safe (since there are quite a few folks mentioning cars with some problem in first hundreds miles which can be corrected in warranty at a dealership)
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      07-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #6
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
As you mentioned you plan to do long roadtrip in this car - I would kindly suggest drive the car ~1000 miles locally beyond the break-in period to sort out any early signals of potential issue (such as battery valve or other drive-train related) on the car before hitting your big roadtrip ...
Since, I am doing Performance Center Delivery and planning to rent a cottage for a few days in the nearby mountains, I will have already 800 to 900 miles, before I am home for the first time.
Didn't want to cancel PCD just to be on the safe side. If I get stranded, I will have to deal with BMW roadside assistance.

The big trips will be in a year or so and hopefully all bugs removed by then ...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

I did PCD for my 50e. I cannot recall how long after build our original date was offered, but we had to push it back one week. I do recall our original date was a mere week or so after production. We had a 1700 mile drive home which resulted in a cracked windshield and CEL at mile 1630. Waited two weeks for an available service time slot, then another two weeks to fix the issues. Just got it back this past Friday and all is well. Still trying to figure out 8.5.

PCD was a blast, but the factory tour was not available due to renovations.

Congrats on your choice.
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      07-30-2023, 04:42 PM   #8
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

PDC is normally no sooner than 2 weeks after production and these days may be 3 weeks or longer due to high demand.

If you are flexible, let them know you will consider earlier if someone cancels. Mine moved up a week by doing so.
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50