BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

First Battle Wound (Curb Rash)

Well. It finally happened. Wife+Target+Holiday Shopping and we get our first curb. Very small about 1.5 inches but it's a gash.

Got 3 shops all about $150-200

1 offered mobile repair.

1 suggested mobile repair gets it 95% and can do CNC lathe if I want

And the last said they can do mobile but it would be a polished metal in that one spot. They recommended bringing it in and they put it on the CNC lathe machine to give it the factory look. $200

I'm gonna go with shop 3 but will ask them if the rash depth will affect the lathe. I don't want to take off too much.

Most would probably leave it. Honestly after I washed the car, it's hardly noticeable from a few feet away. 10 ft it's pretty non existent.

Good news is that I'm alive to post this after "voicing my thoughts" to my significant other
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
thaddh10
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X

Wait a few more months. Usually they come in pairs!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddh10 View Post
Wait a few more months. Usually they come in pairs!
Don't say that!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Don't do mobile. I've had experience on mobile and in shop ones. The correct way to fix that is to also remove the tire. The local shop near me works damn near miracles on curb rash. I used to actually keep spare OEM wheels in case of rash, but not anymore.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

I wouldn’t even consider fixing that, but rather wear it as a badge of honor for an M well-driven. Ffs you’re gonna have an early heart attack if every rash, rock chip, scratch, ding, etc. sends you scurrying with anger to multiple repair shops. Dude it’s a car, it’s a losing battle to keep it in showroom condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I wouldn't even consider fixing that, but rather wear it as a badge of honor for an M well-driven. Ffs you're gonna have an early heart attack if every rash, rock chip, scratch, ding, etc. sends you scurrying with anger to multiple repair shops. Dude it's a car, it's a losing battle to keep it in showroom condition.
I second this….. Not worth the hassle. Also, if it happens again, then you will do it again and again and the wheel gets to a point where balancing becomes troublesome. I recently balanced my rear tires and was surprised with that tire wheel combo I only needed a 1/4 oz per wheel. Last time I fixed a wheel (twice), I ended up with more than 2 ounces. In that wheel and that looks almost as bad. If you decide to fix it, make sure to buy some black balancing weights or take it to a shop that has them so that they are not noticeable if you end up needing many. I had a shop that put white balancing weights on an all blacked out car; that was tough to look at and not a pleasant conversation to have.

Quote:
I wouldn't even consider fixing that, but rather wear it as a badge of honor for an M well-driven. Ffs you're gonna have an early heart attack if every rash, rock chip, scratch, ding, etc. sends you scurrying with anger to multiple repair shops. Dude it's a car, it's a losing battle to keep it in showroom condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I'm sure this will horrify many but this is actually a really easy DIY fix. With minor damage like this I sand smooth the damage to the clear in progressively finer grits. I just take my time so as to not touch undamaged area with the sandpaper. Clean it with paint prep and touch up the sanded area with clear stick from the paint touch up kit. If you know where it is and are right on top of it you can spot the repair. If you don't know it's there or are a foot or two aware you can't see it. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself then I agree with others that I'd just leave it as it really doesn't seem bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Easy and cheap to fix. Ask your dealer for the local dude that fixes there rash damage. It's disheartening when done, but much easier and cheaper than I thought to fix. I certainly would get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

imho opinion best solution to this is powdercoat your wheels satin black.. if wheels get rashed lightly or even lightly curbed, you can sand down the rash with various grit and then use satin touch up pen, cant even see it after done unless you know where to look.. this is why i run black wheels on all cars They will not change driving habits and i gave up on that years ago.
      11-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

This happened to me a few weeks ago, and I was busy contacting every rim repair shop in the area for the first 24 hours, and even setup an appointment for a few days later. After all, this was just a one off incident and I was the super careful cautious guy, right?

And then within a matter of 3 days, post two more (expletive-filled) run-ins with more curbs that I swear came out of nowhere, I realized that this is merely the destiny of 22"s and it's a pointless endeavor.

I also realized that with enough brake dust, you can cover anything up!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #11
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
This happened to me a few weeks ago, and I was busy contacting every rim repair shop in the area for the first 24 hours, and even setup an appointment for a few days later. After all, this was just a one off incident and I was the super careful cautious guy, right?

And then within a matter of 3 days, post two more (expletive-filled) run-ins with more curbs that I swear came out of nowhere, I realized that this is merely the destiny of 22"s and it's a pointless endeavor.

I feel like the first 24 hours was the same. Irked me to no end and called everywhere. Selected a place but now I seem to think it's so minor and unnoticeable.

I'll see what happens in the next week or so.
Appreciate 2
DG-X5168.00
Chas8283351.50
      12-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #12
akunob
Private
Rep
Drives: X6MC

Quote:
I wouldn’t even consider fixing that, but rather wear it as a badge of honor for an M well-driven. Ffs you’re gonna have an early heart attack if every rash, rock chip, scratch, ding, etc. sends you scurrying with anger to multiple repair shops. Dude it’s a car, it’s a losing battle to keep it in showroom condition.
This! It's the first and won't be the last...fret over this and you might as well bubble wrap the car. This is minor and frankly after this first 'nick', any other minor nicks won't feel as bothersome.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

This isn't worth fixing. To fix that spot and risk the whole wheel not matching with the rest isn't worth risking.

I've fixed stuff like this in the past easily. just mask off the wheel and sand down the rough curbed area then dab with some clear coat. Wait a few more days and it will bother you less and less. It always hurts the most on day 1 lol.

Alan
      12-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #14
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
So you want to drive your car but pretend that you don't drive it? If the rough edge interferes with obsessive cleaning (which I assume you suffer from if you're worried about this) - sand it down, otherwise there is nothing to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #15
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

Take it to your dealer, they normally have a repair shop they get a discount with that does their used cars/trade ins.

I'm in Columbus Ohio and I've gotten a few done and generally runs $115.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #16
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post

I feel like the first 24 hours was the same. Irked me to no end and called everywhere. Selected a place but now I seem to think it's so minor and unnoticeable.

I'll see what happens in the next week or so.
We all know it's there!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #17
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
It always hurts the most on day 1 lol.
That's the truth.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #18
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

Not sure how mine happened, I assume valet I never valet one time sweet.

I ended up buying a new wheel. I also sent out the wheel for repair via tire and wheel insurance. SA states won't look the same.
Attached Images

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #19
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xccelerate View Post
Not sure how mine happened, I assume valet I never valet one time sweet.

I ended up buying a new wheel. I also sent out the wheel for repair via tire and wheel insurance. SA states won't look the same.
How much the wheel set you back? I think they around 1100? What will you do with the old one? How long you plan to keep the car?
Appreciate 0