BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2024, 04:47 PM   #1
simdim
Rep
Drives: X3

Garage List
Looking for ways to find CPO or warranty cars

Hi All,
I had spent a lot of very frustrating time looking for 21-23 X5 Xdrive45e using cars.com and BMW CPO search. I am looking for very specific collection of packages (Driver assist pro, park assist, heated sw are a must, everything else is a plus). I managed to test drive one but foolishly walked away, when dealer (BMW of Okemos - not going to step my foot there again) told me that heated mirrors are part of cold package - and the car did not have one ....
Are there reputable brokers that people are using?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 05:05 PM   #2
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Might need a little more flexibility in what you're looking for. What's more important, getting a 45e (more on the rare side), or all of the assist packages? It'd probably be much easier to find those specific packages together if you opened up the search to a regular 40i model also. Ours has that stuff (not sure about heated mirrors) but is a 40i.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 05:15 PM   #3
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

M50’s, m60’s and the hybrid/electric x5’s are very hard to come by if you want a nice wheel package and a couple options.

It’s a nightmare out there right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 05:26 PM   #4
djohn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

The site that has the best support for searching by option packages is autotrader.com. Maybe you knew this already, but you didn't mention using that one. I was in a similar situation with my search, recently, and I ended up driving my previous vehicle all the way to Boston for trade-in and driving the X5 back.

On some other sites, I would filter the results as much as I could and then look through the images to find the option or options that I wanted. It works if it's something visible or that has a physical control, like the air suspension, for example.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 05:38 PM   #5
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I like CarGurus . BMW dealers are pretty terrible about getting all the options loaded. You pretty much have to decide the VINs
Appreciate 1
LDT1566.50
      04-23-2024, 05:44 PM   #6
simdim
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I like CarGurus . BMW dealers are pretty terrible about getting all the options loaded. You pretty much have to decide the VINs
Is there a magic decoder ring for the VIN? I guess that would be the best way to go!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 06:05 PM   #7
simdim
Rep

Garage List
Answering my own question - I think this is the decoder ring https://www.mdecoder.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 06:50 PM   #8
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
+1 for CarGurus
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 11:17 PM   #9
BruinMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn View Post
The site that has the best support for searching by option packages is autotrader.com. Maybe you knew this already, but you didn't mention using that one. I was in a similar situation with my search, recently, and I ended up driving my previous vehicle all the way to Boston for trade-in and driving the X5 back.

On some other sites, I would filter the results as much as I could and then look through the images to find the option or options that I wanted. It works if it's something visible or that has a physical control, like the air suspension, for example.
Pretty much the same for me. Rented a car and drove 400 miles to get my X5. The best for me was using the BMW CPO search with only using DAP as the filter and the year. I agree, BMW site doesn’t list all the options in the search. Just look for X5’s with DAP and the year(s) and click on each picture that looks interesting. When you find something interesting, click on the dealership and check out all the options. Some dealerships will have the e-Packet. It was a long process for me.
      04-24-2024, 01:37 AM   #10
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
M50’s, m60’s and the hybrid/electric x5’s are very hard to come by if you want a nice wheel package and a couple options.

It’s a nightmare out there right now.
I’ve got wheel package handled - Summer tires are on 741M, winter tires on 740M, and due to a trip to the Rockies on shoulder season, there’s a set of all seasons on 738 rims in my shed.
When I look for the next one, I’m keeping the pretty wheels, and mounting the 738s for trade or sale…..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 01:41 AM   #11
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

OP - maybe look at dealer websites in bigger cities for multiple CPO cars. Also consider reaching out to dealers around you - see if a client advisor can find you a car elsewhere out there….
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 06:56 AM   #12
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
I ended up filtering for v8, and interior and exterior colors. The. I only looked at cars with ext shadow line. I checked the steering wheel for the DAPP buttons. If it had that, I decided the vin for other options. It was a hassle.

Another thing to keep in mind, people will tell you "there's plenty for sale". Maybe there are for white 40i. But if you want a well equipped m50i or 45e... That's like finding hens teeth especially if you want specific colors or options. If you find one move swiftly and be prepared to pay more than you or forum experts think you should. The dealers can basically set whatever price they want for them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:36 AM   #13
Clk Group
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

Comprehensive vehicle search:

https://www.autotempest.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:02 AM   #14
simdim
Rep

Garage List
Thank you all for advice, I guess for 45e there are two mottos - "Baggers can not be choosers" and "Patience is a virtue" Non of them are my strong suit.
Logical man would say, screw it, lets wait a year for the supply to pickup, but when it comes to cars who has logic
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:03 AM   #15
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clk Group View Post
Comprehensive vehicle search:

https://www.autotempest.com/
Have found this site pretty useless... would love to understand how you use it.

Its just aggregating the other car search applications and does not offer a normalized search for packages across all sites. Zero confidence im getting the desired results.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:36 AM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by simdim View Post
Hi All,
I had spent a lot of very frustrating time looking for 21-23 X5 Xdrive45e using cars.com and BMW CPO search. I am looking for very specific collection of packages (Driver assist pro, park assist, heated sw are a must, everything else is a plus). I managed to test drive one but foolishly walked away, when dealer (BMW of Okemos - not going to step my foot there again) told me that heated mirrors are part of cold package - and the car did not have one ....
Are there reputable brokers that people are using?
I went through the same as you. I had a very specific set of features/colors I wanted and to make matters worse I wanted a car within a 1.5-2 model year span. I had searches set up in all the usual places and were getting alerts every time a new one hit but here is what I found out.

- NO ONE puts in accurate info into their postings (not dealers, not BMW, not private sellers, not brokers, NO ONE)
- Almost all posters leave bits of data out of their postings
- Many dealers have mistakes on their postings like wrong features, colors, etc
- Dealers don't take their postings down after the car is sold for quite some time

So, in the end, I mostly used the BMW NA CPO site, I filtered only by a couple major items, like the model, the year and mileage. .. that's it. In order to get the rest of the info I was looking for I had to go into each match and read the entire posting and if it looked good, I contacted the dealer and requested the BMW official build sheet, I would only accept the official one.

Once I confirmed that the build sheet had what I wanted, I then used the VIN to verify the data and when I found a match, I would contact the dealer. It took over a year of searching to find ONE match, I then bought the car.
The more specific your criteria is, the longer it will take you but if that is what you want, in the end you're the one paying for it and driving it, its worth the wait. I mean, no one NEEDS a BMW. Its not like waiting for a kidney.
Appreciate 1
LOFT183.00
      04-24-2024, 09:43 AM   #17
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simdim View Post
Thank you all for advice, I guess for 45e there are two mottos - "Baggers can not be choosers" and "Patience is a virtue" Non of them are my strong suit.
Logical man would say, screw it, lets wait a year for the supply to pickup, but when it comes to cars who has logic
Supply won't pick up. 45e years were he daily constrained by COVID. There simply are less of them, and those that do exist are often not as well equipped.
Appreciate 0