BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2024, 03:51 AM   #1
c_hri_s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

50e Questions

Hi,

I'm considering a 50e (yes, I have read all the horror stories!) and have a couple of questions.

1. If I set off on a long journey (say 200 miles) fully charged and drive in hybrid mode, what will happen to the battery by the end. Do I expect to arrive with it empty, full, somewhere in-between?

2. If I want to listen to music and be cooled/heated when parked how long can that happen before the car turns itself off? My current 30d insists on powering down after a few minutes unless the engine is running making it painful to try and listen to the radio when my kids doing football training or whatever. Would the 50e be better, assuming it had some charge in the battery

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:54 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hri_s View Post
Hi,

I'm considering a 50e (yes, I have read all the horror stories!) and have a couple of questions.

1. If I set off on a long journey (say 200 miles) fully charged and drive in hybrid mode, what will happen to the battery by the end. Do I expect to arrive with it empty, full, somewhere in-between?

2. If I want to listen to music and be cooled/heated when parked how long can that happen before the car turns itself off? My current 30d insists on powering down after a few minutes unless the engine is running making it painful to try and listen to the radio when my kids doing football training or whatever. Would the 50e be better, assuming it had some charge in the battery

Thanks
1) usable capacity will likely be used up or at the minimum of 3-6% charge level

2) the vehicle idles ~15 minutes then goes into standby
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:01 AM   #3
c_hri_s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Thanks.

For 2) is there any way of prolonging that? I'd hoped that I could run the AC and radio off the big battery as long as I wanted?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:07 AM   #4
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

You can conserve some battery capacity for your arrival which will allow for a bit of conditioning or electric-only driving at your destination. On my 45e it's the Battery Control function.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:11 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
regardless of range, the vehicle won’t idle very long after ending the trip and go into standby mode after ~15 minutes

c_hri_s
the only ways to prolong your music enjoyment while sitting in the vehicle are:

1) as long as you have battery capacity available, keep the vehicle on (don’t press the Stop button), and it will remain in the drive-ready state (see Guy Fleegman comment above)

2) if you don’t have any battery capacity available, you’ll have to sit idle with the engine running
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 10:53 AM   #6
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hri_s View Post
Hi,

Thanks

If your priority is to listen to music and use the AC after the 200 mile journey, I would reserve a 5 percent or more of battery for that. Depending on the speed at which you will travel through those 200 miles you can use the battery or not. Try not to use all of it and use it to cool down and chill.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 11:31 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
If your priority is to listen to music and use the AC after the 200 mile journey, I would reserve a 5 percent or more of battery for that. Depending on the speed at which you will travel through those 200 miles you can use the battery or not. Try not to use all of it and use it to cool down and chill.
regardless of actual remaining battery capacity, the length of continuous run time is contingent on the vehicle staying in the drive-ready state. if idle, it will shut off and go into standby mode after ~15 minutes
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 12:23 PM   #8
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I sometimes park and choose ‘pre-condition’ to keep the heating or a/c running and this seems to keep it running for 30min after which you can do pre-condition again in the climate menu.

I don’t like sitting with it in drive ready mode as the lights are on and it makes the ‘fake engine sound’ so might irritate people nearby etc
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4751.00
      05-03-2024, 03:08 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I sometimes park and choose ‘pre-condition’ to keep the heating or a/c running and this seems to keep it running for 30min after which you can do pre-condition again in the climate menu.

I don’t like sitting with it in drive ready mode as the lights are on and it makes the ‘fake engine sound’ so might irritate people nearby etc
true. one can run preconditioning via the iDrive menu or MyBMW app. you’ll get 30 minutes of run time per session, so it’s not continuous indefinitely.

can’t you also activate preconditioning via the key fob on the 50e? (three clicks of some button…)

BUT does doing this also keep the electronics on so he can listen to music, etc? I wanna say it doesn’t because I’ve run preconditioning in my 45e to air out interior moisture from a leak recently, and I recall the electronics turning off after only a few minutes (much less than 15 or 30)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #10
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
can’t you also activate preconditioning via the key fob on the 50e? (three clicks of some button…)

BUT does doing this also keep the electronics on so he can listen to music, etc? I wanna say it doesn’t because I’ve run preconditioning in my 45e to air out interior moisture from a leak recently, and I recall the electronics turning off after only a few minutes (much less than 15 or 30)
Here the diamond button on the remote activates the pre-condition. Can do this from inside or outside the car.

I’ll have to keep an eye on the electronics shut down, I’m sure I’ve had pre-condition on and the radio playing but I may have done something else to make this happen!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:33 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you have sufficient battery capacity, when the radio shuts down, you can just press the power button and it will run for about another 15-minutes…preconditioning runs for 30-minutes, and you can repeat as long as you have HVB capacity. The non-PHEV limit preconditioning to two times, and it’s shorter. If you keep things in READY state, you can keep things on as long as you have HVB or fuel in the tank…it seems to cycle the engine on/off from what I hear, depending on the HVB level, just like it does when you’re moving, regardless of the HBV level when needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:53 AM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Battery Hold can be your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 11:07 AM   #13
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

In addition to Battery Hold, what I do is enter my destination on the map but also add a second destination of my home. This way it keeps more of the charge for the return trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 12:34 PM   #14
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post

You can turn off the 'fake engine sound' in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 12:38 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There are two aspects to the sounds the PHEV can make…when moving below about 20km/h, that safety one is mandated by the US regulations (and in some other countries)…a fake engine sound continually can be disabled.
Appreciate 0