BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-16-2024, 01:31 PM   #1
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Does anyone know if using a cable for Android Auto or Apple Carplay is supported? I have tried to find detailed information specifically about using a cable, but have only found that its supported on the G05 and a few things similar to this which makes me think its wireless only. Trying to figure out some things for longer trips since the wireless charger is garbage. I know some other people have just put a different wireless charger on top of the shotty one, but if I can just connect a cable for it all and go, the better.

Android Auto is supported by every BMW with a Live Cockpit Plus or Professional that runs on Operating System 7.

In addition, you need a compatible smartphone which is:

Any smartphone with Android 11.0 and 5GHz Wi-Fi. In the EU, smartphones must comply with additional regulatory requirements in order to use 5GHz Wi-Fi in the car.
Or, a Google or Samsung smartphone with Android 10.0.
      04-16-2024, 01:49 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
this is a non-issue. charging the iPhone and CarPlay are independent of each other. you can easily charge the iPhone via cable while CarPlay is operating wirelessly as designed. you don’t have to be charging wirelessly to use CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:45 PM   #3
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's not what I asked. I asked if anyone knew if carplay (Android auto in my case) can be used with a cable instead of wireless.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:03 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus0101101 View Post
That's not what I asked. I asked if anyone knew if carplay (Android auto in my case) can be used with a cable instead of wireless.
and I answered your question already
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
this is a non-issue. charging the iPhone and CarPlay are independent of each other. you can easily charge the iPhone via cable while CarPlay is operating wirelessly as designed. you don’t have to be charging wirelessly to use CarPlay
whether your phone charges wirelessly or via cable, CP and AA operate wirelessly. put another way, CP/AA function isn’t supported via the cable that’s plugged in the phone to charge it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 06:28 PM   #5
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
and I answered your question already

yeah......no you didnt until just then. Lots of different car manufacturers supported Android Auto and/or Carplay via a wired connection prior to offering it wireless. My friend's Toyota for instance ( yes...I know...Not a BMW.....easy killer) supports Apple Carplay via a cable ONLY. So while charging is separate than Carplay, it is supported via the cable ONLY and you still have to use the cable. hence the single connection for both. Manufacturers can choose to offer the features as they will.

All you had to say was "no, its not supported via cable". Remember....Your non issues are not everyone else's non issues. I'd rather have it one way or the other. All wireless, or turn WIFI/BT off and use a cable.
      04-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Daedalus0101101 yeah......no you didnt until just then.
you are incorrect. again, here’s my original response:
Quote:
“…operating wirelessly as designed.”

how can you infer the possibility of operating via cable after I specifically mentioned it was designed to operate wirelessly? put another way, it only supports wireless CP/AA. how many different ways do I need to say it for you to understand I already answered your question in my original response? instead of stating an untruth, I would’ve given you a pass if you simply admitted you misunderstood

I’m familiar with wired CarPlay. some bimmers had it about a decade ago (I’ve owned a bimmer since 2008), and I am a proponent for support of wired CarPlay especially since wireless has proven unreliable for many people
Appreciate 0